Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have a problem with your smart when you are making a turn or when you are coming to a red light and it turns green just before you get there, and you step on the accelerator and it boggs down and then picks up? Heard somewhere about apurge valve causing this? Also the tranny actuator? Any ideas or remedies would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
800 Posts
are you talking the delay due to shifting. Sometimes I think the car gets confused when you push hard on the gas and downshifts when it really should not. One of the reasons I drive mine in manual mode. >:D

·
Registered
912 Posts
If you use manual shift mode so that it is in the proper gear, is the problem still there?

Automatic shift mode is strictly enough to get by and nothing more.

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
In "D"" you drive the car with the accelerator pedal; if you lift off the car assumes you want less speed so it makes less power accordingly. If you then immediately put your foot down (say when the light changes) the car has to respond and make more power and perhaps even drop down a gear - that doesn't happen instantly. Just my .02, but the "D" mode is more than adequate for 95% of situations. YMMV. :wink:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Sometimes the tranny luvs to down shift (at low speeds) when you are trying to accelerate. Dont fight it, just use the paddles and down shift and then up shift. It feels a little awkward, but you will get use to it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts