Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am the owner of a grey market 450 the was previously registered in WA. I am trying to register it in CA but am being required to have it tested and certified to meet CA epa compliance requirements. It is a G&K converted vehicle and only meets federal emission compliance. My question is, is there anything different on a 49 state legal smart 450 than a 50 state legal smart? Or is it only the fact that the testing was done. G&K wants $2500 to fonvert the car but does it really need anything converted or just a test done?

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
I am trying to register it in CA but am being required to have it tested and certified to meet CA epa compliance requirements. It is a G&K converted vehicle and only meets federal emission compliance. My question is, is there anything different on a 49 state legal smart 450 than a 50 state legal smart? Or is it only the fact that the testing was done. G&K wants $2500 to fonvert the car but does it really need anything converted or just a test done?
Yes, CA emissions are much tougher than the other 49 states.

Find it odd that G&K doing conversions from their California headquarters would only be meeting 49 state emissions?

Unless you seek the expertise of a savvy CA emissions testing station for direction, appears that $2,500 may be the only answer?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just want to update you all. I had an appointment at the smog referee today and he passed it and labeled it. I then took that paper to the dmv and they lifted the CARB hold on my registration and gave me my CA plates!!! Yay! I now have a CA legal 450!

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
You should make sure he waived the biannual inspection for you. CARB stipulates that cars with engines under 50 cubic inches do not have to undergo smog testing every 2 years. First time, then no more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately, that exemption was removed from the books a few years ago. I tried it a few weeks ago at my first smog referee appointment. Would have been nice though!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Curious to know exactly how you got your IM testing done

I have a 450 grey market that I currently have registered in Alaska that I'd like to get titled and registered in California. Anymore on your process would be really helpful to know.

Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All I had to do was take the car to a smog referee and after an inspection he passed it and Entered the vehicle into their database. I then went to the dmv with my smog paperwork and got it licensed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow! That's fantastic! I was sure my smart couldn't pass CA emissions testing. Pardon my ignorance, but is a smog referee any old shop that advertises that they do smog tests?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No they are different from regular smog shops. You have tocall and make an appointment. 1-800-622-7733
They are located at various community colleges throughout the state.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts