Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2015 smart Fortwo Passion Coupe
81 Posts
Smarts4you and Smart Madness both trust EBC pads and Smart Madness seems to trust EBC rotors. Rockauto claims that PowerStop and Bendix pads and rotors are popular. You could also go with Bosch which, if I'm correct, is OEM.

Personally, I would pick whatever is cheap and from a brand I trust, but I would buy it from Rockauto. It seems to be much cheaper there. They also sell "Rotor and Brake pad Kits" which is just a kit with matched pads and rotors.

Reactions: Jo e Lefors

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
If you go with any brake pads. Be sure they are ceramic ones. No brake dust. I use EBC green stuff when I replace the OEM Bosch. They were really good brakes. They squealed, when wet. Really dirty brakes too. That when I changed out for ceramic ones. You could try the EBC red stuff pads. They are ceramic. I have them on my Abarth. Very little dust.

·
Registered
2009 Smart Brabus Cabrio
42 Posts
You guys with the slotted and drilled rotors: are you not experiencing the constant "rattlesnake' aka 'playing card riding against your bicycle wheel spoke' sound, every wheel revolution? I have been having that issue ever since I installed mine. Two different brake shops have confirmed I installed everything correctly and no dust shield rubbing on anything. 1k mi on them and the sound is still just as loud as when I first installed them.

·
Registered
2015 smart Fortwo Passion Coupe
81 Posts
I get it all the time, I usually just have my music loud enough to never hear it. I assume that the noise comes from the path the air takes going through the brakes and through the wheel. I assume that because it gets louder when close to some object on the side (curb, car, wall, etc.). This can be possibly disproven with steel wheels, as, it seems to me, most people with drilled and slotted rotors also have alloys.

Reactions: M66M

·
Registered
2009 Smart Brabus Cabrio
42 Posts
I get it all the time, I usually just have my music loud enough to never hear it. I assume that the noise comes from the path the air takes going through the brakes and through the wheel. I assume that because it gets louder when close to some object on the side (curb, car, wall, etc.). This can be possibly disproven with steel wheels, as, it seems to me, most people with drilled and slotted rotors also have alloys.
Makes sense. Good to know. I appreciate the info and reply.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts