Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks in advance for any help! My 2009 Smart Fortwo 451 isn't locking properly with the key fob. I've gone through every similar thread but couldn't find one that resolved my problem.

I have 2 key fobs and they both function identically. The key fobs will not lock either of the doors and the lights flash 9 times when I try. The fobs will remotely unlock the driver door, but not the passenger door (i can hear a click in the passenger door when unlocking, but it doesn't sound like the unlock-then-lock issue others have had).

The interior lock/unlock buttons on the dash work properly for both doors.

The key will not manually lock the driver door. It does nothing when I put the key in and turn in either direction.

Any other tests I can try? Or any more info I can provide? Or anybody have any thoughts what could be causing this?

Thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks duckhunter, I replaced the batteries in the two fobs and now they blink 3 times, instead of 9.

However, all of the original problems are still there. Unlocking only unlocks the driver door. Locking locks neither door. Both doors and the back hatch are shut - this started 6 months ago, at least.

Thanks for additional suggestions!

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,766 Posts
As duckhunter suggests, start by replacing the key fob batteries.

Our smarts are well, smart - they monitor the key fob battery and when it is running low will flash the indicators 9 times. Those who ignore this brilliant feature run the risk of running the fob dead which can immobilize the car.

Once immobilized, the key fob can no longer synchronize with the vehicle and you will not be able to start even after changing the fob battery. :shrug:

Blinking 3 times is lock confirmation. The locking/unlocking issue could be an actuator issue - unplugged or failure? Click the key fob and listen for actuator action, if one door left/right shows no action you will have to take the door skins off and test further.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The passenger door never unlocks, no matter how many times the button is pressed. This isn't user error, there is a fault somewhere.

Thanks MB NDA, the batteries have been replaced (now blinking 3 times, instead of 9) but all of the issues remain. The car has never been immobilized. The fobs have always started the car just fine. It's just a matter of being able to lock both doors, and unlocking the passenger door.

·
Registered
883 Posts
You can pull the lock mechanism from the door and probably apply electrical power to it for testing. Also, grease the cables that are attached to the unit. If push comes to shove (love that phrase) you can probably get a part out online for the unit.

Have you tried using the dash door lock/unlock button?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Steven, thanks for the help. The dash lock/unlock buttons work fine which is confusing to me.

If we assume the fobs are working correctly, is there a reason the locks wouldn’t respond the same way to the dash buttons?

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
the fob button unlocks the drivers door on the first press, and the rest of the doors on the second press. at least that is how mine works. if the dash unlock will unlock the door, then I would guess the mechanism in the door is working ok

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Jim. The passenger door isn’t unlocking on the 2nd or 22nd button press.

Has anyone heard of a fob needing a recode in this situation? They mostly work but not everything (ie they unlock the drivers but not the passenger door and they don’t lock either). Or if it were a recode issue, nothing would be working?

The other thing I was wondering is maybe the sensor in the passenger door isn’t working properly. For example, the passenger door sensor thinks the door is open (and therefore unlocked) so all doors won’t lock and the fobs only unlock the driver door.

Any thoughts on this theory? And anyone know how to test or troubleshoot a door sensor? I couldn’t find anything on YouTube or evilution.

·
Registered
883 Posts
The second consecutive press of the key fob will activate the rear hatch switch. See if you can release the upper (glass) rear hatch with the push up switch mechanism on the lower hatch after pressing the key fob for two times. Just curious.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried this and after pushing the unlock button on the fob twice, I can not open the upper tailgate by pushing the release button in the lower tailgate.

Still locked (tho I didn’t even know this was possible so I don’t think I’ve ever pushed that release button on the lower tailgate. I can’t verify it was working before)

But this does make me wonder. If the fault is in the tailgate locking system, wouldn’t that match these symptoms? The tailgate and passenger door are unlocked simultaneously with the 2nd fob button press. And no doors will lock if the tailgate isn’t secured.

Any thoughts?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts