Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Smart FourTwo (451) Pure
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first smart about 6 weeks ago. The front brakes were just done (pads and rotors), but I feel like the mechanic didn’t even bother inspecting the rears? I brought it in with a very pronounced scraping coming from the rear brakes, the same day they started making noise. There was recent flooding here and the brakes did seize/rust a bit, but I got it going with a little extra muscle, as suggested. The scraping sound showed up a few days after and hasn’t subsided. The shop I took it to and the dealership have now twice insisted that the car is completely fine, but I’ve only heard noise like this come from cars with completely shot brakes. Help?

·
Registered
793 Posts
If you had rusty brakes, there is a real possibility that the brake shoe linings have separated from the backing and are “floating” inside the drums. I had this happen while I was in Europe on a business trip for 6 weeks and the car sat idle.

When I drove the car, in needed some extra “oomph” to get going and felt like something broke free. Afterwards it seemed ok, but the brakes were very hot because the linings were making contact with the inside of the drums. Eventually, the lining broke and all that was left was the bare metal backing of the brake shoe making contact with the inside of the drum making a metal on metal scraping sound.

I needed to replace the shoes, drums and calipers due to damage and overheating.

Get those drums off and have a look. Your scenario sounds very similar to mine.

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
Welcome to the forum! How many miles do you have on your car. Usually, The front disc brakes do the most of the braking. They will always need replacing first. Surface rust on the front rotor, sitting over night. Will make a squealing, rubbing noise. When you first back up. Do you hear this noise, all the time?

If the shop looked at your rear brake shoes, and find them Okay. My guess, after working at car dealerships. The contact points, where the brake shoes rub on the backing plate. Might Need some lubricant on them.

If the noise is coming from the front disc brakes, copper grease needs to be applied to the back of the brake pads.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you had rusty brakes, there is a real possibility that the brake shoe linings have separated from the backing and are “floating” inside the drums. I had this happen while I was in Europe on a business trip for 6 weeks and the car sat idle.

When I drove the car, in needed some extra “oomph” to get going and felt like something broke free. Afterwards it seemed ok, but the brakes were very hot because the linings were making contact with the inside of the drums. Eventually, the lining broke and all that was left was the bare metal backing of the brake shoe making contact with the inside of the drum making a metal on metal scraping sound.

I needed to replace the shoes, drums and calipers due to damage and overheating.

Get those drums off and have a look. Your scenario sounds very similar to mine.
This turned out to be the case, exactly. Is there a way to prevent this from happening again?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum! How many miles do you have on your car. Usually, The front disc brakes do the most of the braking. They will always need replacing first. Surface rust on the front rotor, sitting over night. Will make a squealing, rubbing noise. When you first back up. Do you hear this noise, all the time?

If the shop looked at your rear brake shoes, and find them Okay. My guess, after working at car dealerships. The contact points, where the brake shoes rub on the backing plate. Might Need some lubricant on them.

If the noise is coming from the front disc brakes, copper grease needs to be applied to the back of the brake pads.
It turned out that the brake shoes were delaminated and the pad of the shoes were just free floating inside the drum. It felt like the car had a bit of forward resistance. I already had the front brake pads and rotors replaced a few days ago, but that didn’t help, so I went after the rears. In the up side, I learned how to change out my own shoes in the event this happens again.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I choose ceramic pads and shoes. Less brake dust and less chance of rusting to the rotors and drums.

Now when my car has been sitting a while (I take it mostly off the road for winter) , before I drive, I put the car in neutral and push it forward and back a few feet to make sure the brakes are free.

This issue shouldn’t happen if the car is driven daily.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought my first smart about 6 weeks ago. The front brakes were just done (pads and rotors), but I feel like the mechanic didn’t even bother inspecting the rears? I brought it in with a very pronounced scraping coming from the rear brakes, the same day they started making noise. There was recent flooding here and the brakes did seize/rust a bit, but I got it going with a little extra muscle, as suggested. The scraping sound showed up a few days after and hasn’t subsided. The shop I took it to and the dealership have now twice insisted that the car is completely fine, but I’ve only heard noise like this come from cars with completely shot brakes. Help?
I would check the drums first to see if they are warped. Have a shop put them on the brake lathe and check. I’ve had rear brakes drums which were out of round causing a scraping sound. As mentioned in other posts try driving in reverse and if the parking brake is fully releasing?

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
Rear brake drums don’t wrap. They can get out around, and have scoring.They need to be turned on a lathe, or replaced with brand new ones. Especially when replacing new brake shoes.

The term wrapping on the front rotors. Is the built of pad material on the surface of the rotor. Giving you a pulsating feel in the brake pedal. Skipping the clean surface to the built up areas.

You don’t need ceramic brake shoes, with drum brakes. The front disc front brakes are a must to use. To cut back brake dust. Surface rust still builds on the disc, over night.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts