Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Curious as there are not many Smarts in the location I live (central California) if a rattle from Clutch/Transmission area is normal during acceleration.

The noise seems to be present while only in gear and during slow accelerations (parking lot manuevers), but can also hear it during 3rd gear and 4th gear pulls.

I may have to take a video which is hard, just really wish there were more Smart cars around here to compare with.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Hello, Curious as there are not many Smarts in the location I live (central California) if a rattle from Clutch/Transmission area is normal during acceleration.

The noise seems to be present while only in gear and during slow accelerations (parking lot manuevers), but can also hear it during 3rd gear and 4th gear pulls.

I may have to take a video which is hard, just really wish there were more Smart cars around here to compare with.
It's not abnormal. The Getrag transmission in our smarts has a fairly coarse gearset. Combine that with it's close proximity to your ear, and you will hear more noise than in most other manual cars. Mine has made that noise since new. 159K+, and it still runs great. You can post a video if you want, but my guess is: it's perfectly normal.:)

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Many of us were alarmed the first time we drove alongside the building at a drive-thru restaurant with the window down. Box of rocks, can of nuts and bolts, etc.
If you really want to be disturbed, drive briefly with the engine compartment open, of course with the windows open for a short distance (you don't want to inhale carbon monoxide). You will hear all kinds of sounds that you would be surprised come out of an engine/transmission. :D

I drove mine four hours back to the dealer, and was told it sounded normal. After I left, I went back and asked to drive their demonstrator. It sounded the same way. I was particularly curious about the sound it makes when the clutch lets out and load is taken on by the engine. Yep, it was the same. Fuddgggge
Have you felt the thumps under the floor board by your left foot yet at drive off? ABS self check. Normal. :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you felt the thumps under the floor board by your left foot yet at drive off? ABS self check. Normal. :D
ABS self check eh? I have noticed when driving off from a cold start thumping noise and it always seemed like it was from going in reverse to drive gear.

This makes sense as the ABS unit is mounted right under, I'm used to driving longer cars were you can pin point noises from front to rear but on these it all sounds like it's from the Middle! hahaha

Thanks for all the feedback, the car has it's little quirks... which is good.

Sometimes I wish I went the Electric route, but living 3 hours from the closest dealer kinda kept me away from that

·
Registered
112 Posts
This might sound stupid but have you check to see if the belly pan is vibrating against anything. I have noticed on some it can vibrate up against things and rattle as you accelerate

·
Registered
195 Posts
Is that what that noise is the abs self check ha! I had no idea what was. I kinda thought something something was wrong until I heard it in a video listening to some exhaust.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Just wait for the day you hear the "wet vac" noise from the back when you start the car.
(secondary air pump)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just wait for the day you hear the "wet vac" noise from the back when you start the car.
(secondary air pump)
I hear the SAI every morning to warm up the cat, the thumping noise was super confusing to me though. But makes sense now, considering the location of the noise. Usually happens right around 10mph when first taking off... and fine the rest of the time I drive the car until I park it again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts