Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the North America automatic gear shift knob is the same between 451 & 453s? They look the same in pictures but I need to know if they they are interchangeable. Specifically, can I put a knob designed for a 453 on a 451 and have it work?

·
17,363 Posts
They have different part numbers, however they are exactly the same part. When I got my 453 I swapped my 453's knob with my 451's custom 8 ball. The 453 knob was an exact fit with my 451 and the collar locked without issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for both of your responses! I may be ordering a Carlsson 453 automatic knob in the near future with the hope that it is the same fit as the OEM knob for the 453 and hence might work on my 451. If so, fingers crossed that it will fit a 451 also. If I go through with it, I will report back here on whether it works on the 451 I have! Anybody have any thoughts before I pull the very expensive trigger?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’ll report back. I bought a 453 brabus shift nob and installed it on my ‘09 451. I’ve had it on for a month or so. The only thing I noticed at it was a bit hard to move the shift around and is still a bit tougher to go from R to Park. I think it does push/compressor the little white push down as far as the stock one.

·
17,363 Posts
The non-Brabus stock 453 knob is an exact fit in my 451. It's been there for over 60k without issues. Works exactly like stock. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
The non-Brabus stock 453 knob is an exact fit in my 451. It's been there for over 60k without issues. Works exactly like stock. :)
You wouldn’t also know if the 453 paddle shifter levers will also fit onto a 451 paddle assembly? I have seen some cool longer 453 paddles that I would like to try a my 451. I also PM’d you a link a couple days ago. :)

·
17,363 Posts
You wouldn’t also know if the 453 paddle shifter levers will also fit onto a 451 paddle assembly? I have seen some cool longer 453 paddles that I would like to try a my 451. I also PM’d you a link a couple days ago. :)
Saw your link in my inbox. I'm still doing research on that! It looks like the 453 and 451 paddles are the same...at least to the naked eye.

I bought two sets of the same paddle extenders and they fit perfectly on both my 451 and 453. So if there's any difference between the two it's only in the mounting points. I won't be near my 453 anytime soon to check, but I can try some other resources for a definitive answer.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Nice paddle extensions..................

If you desire inexpensive well made paddle extensions for a 451?? Ebay has several styles and colors..............

1 - 11 of 11 Posts