Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to add some electrical modifications to my 2016 smart fortwo 453 (non EV).
I would also like to make use of the four additional factory switch locations in the dash panel.
In particular, a single toggle and a single momentary switch would be ideal for my needs.

Has anyone got any experience with accessing these switches? Apparently due to the airbag below it at the knee's things are different here in the U.S. and the panel doesn't just release with the turn of one plastic screw and a wedge like I've seen on Right Hand Drive YouTube videos.

Also, if anyone has info on part numbers for the switches, that would be great. I've looked at some Mercedes part diagrams and find one called "Disable Switch (453-905-89-00), but at less then $10 this must just be the plastic filler plug I see four or already, yes?

Thoughts anyone?
Thanx in advance,
Jim in Hollister

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited by Moderator)
I was able to pull the lower panel off enough to inspect the backside of the switch area, and remove the blanks.
I was right about part # 453-905-89-00 it's just a blank. The part had some other numbers on it and I traced them to several other cars by Renault and Nissan.
Further investigation needed...

Apparently that second Oval logo is Renault/Samsung

Jim

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Managed to find the "Sound Generator" switch on a Mercedes Parts shop on the east coast.
Ordered it through eBay (I've bought from there before). Today I got an email saying extended shipping time due to, "Coming from Germany." Oh well, no rush, at least it's a switch. That should get me started.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
Managed to find the "Sound Generator" switch on a Mercedes Parts shop on the east coast.
Ordered it through eBay (I've bought from there before). Today I got an email saying extended shipping time due to, "Coming from Germany." Oh well, no rush, at least it's a switch. That should get me started.
19 bucks.....

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was $19.85 with free shipping.
No big deal at all. I don't think he knew it had to come from Germany... I can't imagine that even covering shipping.

Now my problem is I don't have the associated pigtail plug and wiring for the back side.

Jim

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure... your link just brings up a search result that shows multiple pages of stuff.

Jim

·
Registered
239 Posts
ESP disable switch :)

ex. Someone on the forum switched off a wheel sensor to get a pic of a 453 burnout.

Another spin (bad pun) on this used on a 0.6L 450 was to rotate the yaw sensor 90 degrees; effectively giving the ECU 'out of range' readings.

Kane at evilution has a detailed write up on 2005 and prior 450s as well on the ESP disable switch.

The 453 is probably too 'smart' to be able to do this like the neanderthal 450...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts