Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just a bit of an update on my own current situation.....

I recently purchased a modified factory intake tube from smart-stuff.parts. Just got it today and installed it. I'm not 100% sure on this... and it might just be a bit of an initial placebo effect of me just trying to find something that changed with the car... but i'd swear it's idling a LOT smoother than before with the original tube. I don't know if maybe @SmartMadness might have any similar input on that idea from when they were testing their own intake prototypes...

Hasn't really seemed to make it any louder like i would have hoped... but the smoother idle so far is a plus.

Here's a link to the intake i bought:

https://www.smart-stuff.parts/453-fortwo/453-2-engine/453-fuel/air-intake-hosepipe---453-smart-turbo-898cc-8573

As you can see, that one is a pretty similar diameter the entire length of the pipe (it does gradually get smaller to join up with the turbo at the bottom). Here is the factory one:

As you can obviously tell... HUGE difference in the middle. But the weird part is when you take the middle bit off.

Haven't taken both hose clamps off, but it appears to be the exact same on both sides from what i can tell (might take the other side off later and get a better idea of it). It kinda seems a bit hard to believe that such a thing could do ANYTHING to disrupt or restrict airflow... which is kind of confusing to me. It's basically a straight-through section of pipe, with an extra air chamber on the outside, with only a few tiny gaps around it for air to even go through to get into those chambers.

Going on a bit longer of a drive now... will update later tonight or tomorrow if i remember.
Have you thought about getting this air intake system from them?

https://www.smart-stuff.parts/453-fortwo/453-tune/itg-sports-performance-induction-kit---453-fortwo--453-forfour---turbo-models-only-8657

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just bought one of these air scoops for my 453 and loved it. I installed it per the instructions but after my first trip on the highway I came home and it was gone I am totally bummed. I don’t think the adhesive can hold at highway speeds.

·
Registered
783 Posts
When I bought mine, the first thing I thought of was how much vortex was going
to be developed at highway speeds. So I decided to use an adhesive to attach mine
and haven't had one iota of a problem.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I just bought one of these air scoops for my 453 and loved it. I installed it per the instructions but after my first trip on the highway I came home and it was gone I am totally bummed. I don’t think the adhesive can hold at highway speeds.
That really stinks !!! When I put mine on , I didn't trust the original two sided sticky tape on the scoop , so I installed my own trusted 3M foam backed tape. It allows more contouring to an uneven surface.
It's been holding tight for months now , even at 85 mph , no worries cause the longer it goes, the better the bond .

·
Registered
13 Posts
In retrospect I wish I did that know and didn’t trust the tape on the scoop. It was fine until I went on the hwy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That really stinks !!! When I put mine on , I didn't trust the original two sided sticky tape on the scoop , so I installed my own trusted 3M foam backed tape. It allows more contouring to an uneven surface.
It's been holding tight for months now , even at 85 mph , no worries cause the longer it goes, the better the bond .
I am hoping to get another scoop from Smart Madness. So you used 3M foam backed tape from an auto parts store? I want to make sure if I get another one it doesn’t happen again.
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
563 Posts
I am hoping to get another scoop from Smart Madness. So you used 3M foam backed tape from an auto parts store? I want to make sure if I get another one it doesn?t happen again.
Thanks for your help
Go to your local body shop and purchase at least a 20" piece , automotive type is the best , avoid the hardware store multipurpose tapes

21 - 29 of 29 Posts