Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The upper window trunk release on our 2016 453 is locked and does not respond to the exterior button, key fob as well as the unlock button next to the steering wheel. I checked the fuse diagram and did not find a separate fuse. Any help/suggestions will be great appreciated!
Thank you
Willem

·
Super Moderator
29,204 Posts
Evilution has the solution for getting the glass hatch open (requires a subscription): Evilution - Smart Car Encyclopaedia
That doesn't solve your problem; sounds like power is not getting to the rear hatch locking mechanism for some reason. May have to trace the wire(s) to find the problem. :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Just for kicks... Release the tonneau cover and pull up on the release bar for the tailgate whilst pushing out at the same time. Spray some Knock'R loose into the latch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Evilution has the solution for getting the glass hatch open (requires a subscription): Evilution - Smart Car Encyclopaedia
That doesn't solve your problem; sounds like power is not getting to the rear hatch locking mechanism for some reason. May have to trace the wire(s) to find the problem. :)
That’s was the best $35. I spent. UK Evilution membership indeed open s treasure trove of valuable information. Jwright , thank so much for the insight! Now off to the fun part and figuring out the electrics!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Installed a new latch which did not solve the problem. That leaves a much bigger problem which is the electrics.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I forgot to mention, unlock the car first with the pressing the unlock button on the remote first, then hold down the trunk lid button until it pops open.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the various suggestions. I have had a few Smart cars and already I tried all the buttons and different combinations before my initial post. Yesterday I just tried it again just to see what happens and much to my surprise the rear latch/lock worked 5 times (!) before it stopped again (???). I did not return the new lock to MB but decided to open up the old lock and modify it in such a way that it will open and close the glass lid. It will stay closed even after hitting a speed bump. It will however not lock, but I’m ok with that as we only use it as a run a round in town . Somewhere there is an electrical gremlin that still need to be found . Again, thank you all for your help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have not taken the lock apart so I don't know how it is actuated. Seems like it would be actuated by a solenoid. If it is a remote solenoid with a cable I would think its a corroded cable or sticky solenoid if it is not staying locked.

However, my car does similar electronic magic as well. It seems like pushing the small button on the glass lid many times makes the car angry. This makes the whole system freak out. Same thing happens when you turn the headlights on and off many times while the car is off. Pretty soon no lights work not even the brake lights. Once the car is started it resets everything.

Pushing the small button on the dash seems to reset the rear lock system. My guess is that the trunk lid remote button must be pushed for a long time to open the lid because if you sit on your keys or have them in your pocket, occasional short button pushes will not open the lid by accident. Again, my guess is that the system knows this and sensing many short button pushes makes the system semi disabled. So you are accidentally pushing your key fob button in your pocket or purse many times and then later you go to your car and push the unlock button on the key fob to open the lid but the system has said no way am I opening this lid no matter what with the remote. This makes sense because the system has gone into a safety mode. Think of the possible outcome if the system would let the key fob open the lid. You may accidentally open the lid by a long press in your pocket or purse. I think pushing the button on the inside on the dash is like a reset. Same goes for the rear glass button. If someone tampers with the rear button or it gets pushed a lot I'm thinking the system ignores it until the dash button is pushed as a reset. The regular door unlock button may also be linked somehow as a reset. Also, I believe there is a time limit for the rear glass lid button. Once you use the key fob to unlock the car you have a short time when the glass lid button works. So if after this time you start pressing the glass lid button thinking it should open it will not. So you press it many times and the car goes into disabled mode again. So after the small button does not work you start pushing the key fob remote trunk unlock many times to get to open, and it probably also does not work. You have to think about the people who made this car. They are German engineers. EVERYTHING they do is with logic. Why would anyone need to push buttons more than once. If you push a button once it should work. Knowing this, the logical engineers know that if a button is pushed repeatedly you are probably drunk a thief or stupid or all three or any combination of the three. :eek:;)

1. Start the car
2. Turn off car
3. Push dash button, glass lid should pop
4. Open glass lid and close again.
5. push glass lid button, glass should pop
6. Close glass
7. Hold down trunk key fob button, should pop
8. Close glass lid.

As a test you could press the glass lid button many times and see if it quits working. Same for the key fob button, many short inputs. If it then goes crazy start with step one.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I can go to my 2016 Edition #1 and press and hold the rear glass release on the keyfob for 3 seconds and it will pop.
The car may have not been run for a week.
Just one long press...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have not taken the lock apart so I don't know how it is actuated. Seems like it would be actuated by a solenoid. If it is a remote solenoid with a cable I would think its a corroded cable or sticky solenoid if it is not staying locked.

However, my car does similar electronic magic as well. It seems like pushing the small button on the glass lid many times makes the car angry. This makes the whole system freak out. Same thing happens when you turn the headlights on and off many times while the car is off. Pretty soon no lights work not even the brake lights. Once the car is started it resets everything.

Pushing the small button on the dash seems to reset the rear lock system. My guess is that the trunk lid remote button must be pushed for a long time to open the lid because if you sit on your keys or have them in your pocket, occasional short button pushes will not open the lid by accident. Again, my guess is that the system knows this and sensing many short button pushes makes the system semi disabled. So you are accidentally pushing your key fob button in your pocket or purse many times and then later you go to your car and push the unlock button on the key fob to open the lid but the system has said no way am I opening this lid no matter what with the remote. This makes sense because the system has gone into a safety mode. Think of the possible outcome if the system would let the key fob open the lid. You may accidentally open the lid by a long press in your pocket or purse. I think pushing the button on the inside on the dash is like a reset. Same goes for the rear glass button. If someone tampers with the rear button or it gets pushed a lot I'm thinking the system ignores it until the dash button is pushed as a reset. The regular door unlock button may also be linked somehow as a reset. Also, I believe there is a time limit for the rear glass lid button. Once you use the key fob to unlock the car you have a short time when the glass lid button works. So if after this time you start pressing the glass lid button thinking it should open it will not. So you press it many times and the car goes into disabled mode again. So after the small button does not work you start pushing the key fob remote trunk unlock many times to get to open, and it probably also does not work. You have to think about the people who made this car. They are German engineers. EVERYTHING they do is with logic. Why would anyone need to push buttons more than once. If you push a button once it should work. Knowing this, the logical engineers know that if a button is pushed repeatedly you are probably drunk a thief or stupid or all three or any combination of the three. :eek:;)

1. Start the car
2. Turn off car
3. Push dash button, glass lid should pop
4. Open glass lid and close again.
5. push glass lid button, glass should pop
6. Close glass
7. Hold down trunk key fob button, should pop
8. Close glass lid.

As a test you could press the glass lid button many times and see if it quits working. Same for the key fob button, many short inputs. If it then goes crazy start with step one.
I tried this last night before and after I had a couple of drinks. Unfortunately it didn’t work, but I really enjoyed your post! 🥃 Cheers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can go to my 2016 Edition #1 and press and hold the rear glass release on the keyfob for 3 seconds and it will pop.
The car may have not been run for a week.
Just one long press...
I just tried and it works !!! The lock is only responding to the FOB but that works for me.
Thank you Mailman!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts