Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car's back window will not open. The handle on the back no longer works. I have seen the messages about the emergency wire trick (and I may do that) but what do I need to order for the REAL fix? What part or whatever?

·
Super Moderator
28,968 Posts
Welcome to SCoA! :) Assume you mean the rubber covered switch above the license plate? If it's bad you can DIY a replacement.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Not enough info. The pertinent question is, will the back window open with the rear window button on the key fob held down? If so, the problem is likely the switch on the tail gate. If not the solenoid in the tail gate that releases the window may be at fault. Nobody can tell you what is at fault without some testing.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
There have been a few people on here that have had to remove the switch and clean it out from driving on gravel roads. Once they were cleaned , they work again.

Just saying it wouldn't hurt to take it off and try cleaning it, it may still need to be replaced.

There is a button below the radio that will release the window too..

·
Super Moderator
1,560 Posts
I don't have that button either?

Len
2014 EV

·
Registered
729 Posts
Yes, please explain this button. Would love to be able to open the back glass without having to get out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The unlock button is located on the button bank just to the right of the emergency flasher button. It unlocks the doors and the rear hatch. You still have to use the switch located above the rear license plate to open the rear hatch glass.

·
Registered
729 Posts
The unlock button is located on the button bank just to the right of the emergency flasher button. It unlocks the doors and the rear hatch. You still have to use the switch located above the rear license plate to open the rear hatch glass.

I knew about that one. But from the other post I understood "releases" the back window as in opens it without needing to use the handle (kind of like holding the rear window button on the key fob.) not just unlock the entire vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts