Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're looking at replacing a Subaru WRX station wagon with the smart; now I'm wondering just how practical the smart will be. The Subaru has 27.9 cubic feet of cargo space behind the rear seats, while the smart has just 8 cubic feet. Even a trip to the grocery store is going to be limited. So, more trips for the same amount of groceries equals more gas consumption, even at 40 mpg. Anyone else having the same thoughts?

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
So only one goes shopping....

We're looking at replacing a Subaru WRX station wagon with the smart; now I'm wondering just how practical the smart will be. The Subaru has 27.9 cubic feet of cargo space behind the rear seats, while the smart has just 8 cubic feet. Even a trip to the grocery store is going to be limited. So, more trips for the same amount of groceries equals more gas consumption, even at 40 mpg. Anyone else having the same thoughts?
And you flop down the seat and fill it up tothe top! Jezzzzz! How much food do you eat in a week, Jwight? My wife and I shop for ourselves and one other adult in our household in my S-2000 once a week and it has much less trunk room than the Smart without the seat down and the seat doesn't go down in the S-2000.....:D
Now...if you are a family of 4 or more I would understand. Put a hitch on the Smart and take a small trailer along! :) :)

·
Super Moderator
28,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, if it works for you that's fine. All I'm saying is that I'm not sure it will work for others and looking for input. Thanks for the data point. :)

·
Registered
875 Posts
You could pack it to the roof if you have one of those dividers like the ones on Volvos and Land Rovers, don't know if they are an option for the smart.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Cargo net

You could pack it to the roof if you have one of those dividers like the ones on Volvos and Land Rovers, don't know if they are an option for the smart.
There is a cargo net like thing for the smart. I've seen it in Canada and on the British smart site.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Aaron from LP? Are you getting one of these things? I'd love to get one. I just need one of the trailers they have in Germany so that I could travel with mmy bike and gear.

-Brian

·
Banned
64 Posts
Aaron from LP? Are you getting one of these things? I'd love to get one. I just need one of the trailers they have in Germany so that I could travel with mmy bike and gear.

-Brian
Hello!,

Formerly, until the guy I hired took my job. PM me if you want details on that.

Yes! Getting a smart car passion coupe. All options exept the extra guages. I think it clutters the dash. A clock is already built into the dash and I will use something else for a tach.

Aaron Lephart

·
Registered
309 Posts
on storage:

ever shop at aldi's? great prices, every day. anyway, they let you take various sized boxes to put groceries in.

some of the boxes, may fit in the smart trunk just right.

anyway, put those filled with groceries in the trunk, and could also stack the boxes on top of each other, likely at least two high, and maybe three high, side by side, two or three across. that likely would hold a lot of groceries.

and then, if you're alone, you likely could lower the passenger seat, and stack another four or six boxes over the passenger seat, and on the floor in front of the passenger seat.

however, the above is a guesstimate, and will be interesting to give it a real time try.

also, the boxes, would keep 'cans' of groceries, from falling out, and scratching the inside.

2) on instruments: at first, liked them. then, thought they cluttered the dash too much,

but later, decided i would enjoy the extra clutter, and monitoring the clock and tach. now, back to ordering them.

i do wish they could have added an mpg monitor. that omission is a major mistake.

i think the company reason, was, something like, "well, we don't want customer monitoring the mpg. we just want them to drive it."

that is worthly of removal from company payroll, regardless of how high up that decision was made.

even a buick lesabre has a mpg monitor. a simple digital readout, built into the main dash speedo instrument. not fancy, but a great feature.

and smart mpg will be very interesting to monitor, since it has good gas mileage.

unless i'm missing something, i cant believe even the president himself would be able to get the smart approved by the board, without the mpg monitor.

i really want one, even though an after market one will likely ugly up the interior,

now smart, will have to live with customers showing their vehicles to others, with an ugly after market mpg monitor,

that smart could have professionally and pleasing added at the factory, for very little cost, with great customer benefit.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Plan to use ours to run for groceries, but bimonthly Costco runs and Home Depot projects may be another story ;-)

I looked in the back at roadshow / test drive for that exact reason, you may need "boxes" to hold all the plastic bags (or ask for paper), but it looked like a grocery cart full of "stuff" would fit on the shelf behind the seats.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts