Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the Miata enthusiasts finally have a car smaller than theirs to pick on. It's amazing to me how many "car people" just don't get it.

The thread is here.

·
Registered
801 Posts
That's a shame. Had a '99 Miata, was a truly fine car, but this kind of assault is uncalled for. Their is no comparing the two, and they serve entirely different market arenas. The only real simularity is two seats, and rear drive.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
WoW!! I had always thought a lot of Miata owners were buffoons, this just solidified that thought.

A couple stupid qoutes from the thread:

"Pretty much any car enthusiast who has driven this car has come to the same conclusion. The car is terrible. As soon as the fad wears off, these things will be sitting on dealer lots. These cars are not good at anything."

"Anyone who is looking to buy a SMART car for good gas milage, might as well look at a Hummer. Neither were designed to be fuel effciant."

"I saw one on the road today. Even in my girlfriend's 03 Civic with the AC on, I was at about 1/4 throttle to keep from running up it's bum.

The smart car does not make sense for the type of driving that 90% of Americans do."
The second sentence is actually kind of true. :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
It’s truly a shame that “car people” with little to no real automotive experience often take such a negative stance on the smart. It must be ignorance.
My experience with automobiles, note: as an older member of the forum, spans the gamut from junker, restorods, ¼ mile screamers, road racers to high end exotics.

My choice to drive daily is my smart. It’s not a Miata, Vette or Aston. It fits into my daily commute requirements perfectly and is a hell of a lot more fun to drive in traffic than any of the afore mention vehicles.

As another member said “It's amazing to me how many "car people" just don't get it

”.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have nothing against the Miata, but it seems to me, that if you're going to pay in that range, you might as well get the Mustang.

But maybe that's only me.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Don't bother me.....I don't care if no one likes my Smart.....One thing I tell almost all that ask 'what is it' (ie clueless about Smart) ...'It ain't for everyone but it has become my favorite car'. I kinda like being in a club some folks 'hate'!

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I have a miata and an other with a cage in it and a one ton ford truck that can plow my driveway in the winter and pull the racer to the track in the summer, Mustang (mine is called Thumper) is a point and shoot device, a broadsword. Miatas are momentum machines, a saber. The most sought after key in the house is that big, smart key It lures my wife out of her do it all for you sedan and me out of the do it all by hand sports car and puts a smile on both our faces with an average of 39 mpg from new this January. "At least I am enjoying the ride..."
karl

·
Registered
178 Posts
Either the average poster on that forum is of a sub-average IQ, or they are drunk.

The spelling and grammar was about 8th grade level.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Had to Laugh

This was by far the funniest post I've read in a long time!

What a hoot! They guy has a nack for sensationalism and writing fiction. I wonder if he actually test drove the car?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't really know of any car that had to be reserved, and has as long a waiting list as smart does. So they must be doing something right. :rolleyes:

It probably wouldn't take much $$$ to pick up a Miata right now at discounted prices.

·
Banned
261 Posts
Replacing my Miata with a smart

If it makes everyone feel better, I will be replacing my 2001 Miata LS with a smart cabrio. Both will be used for around town commuter cars and short trips to the IE. I use my mini-van as the long distance cruiser [vegas, baby...LOL] and for hauling clients around to look at dozens of houses they will not be buying until the market has finally hit bottom [whine...]
Miata's and smart cabrio's fulfill the same function, and have exactly the same amount of luggage room, 5.1 cu. ft. The smart is less expensive, feels more rigid due to the tridion cell, has a better top mechanism, much better forward vision and gets about double the mileage. My Miata has never passed a pothole that didn't make it feel like it was going to break something (usually one of the expensive "sports suspension" shocks) and I have flattened two tires on a pothole on a major street by LAX. Even when the shocks are good and the planets align properly, it rides like a lumber wagon on the "well maintained" local freeways. It has also stranded me twice on hot days in the IE due to a faulty secondary O2 sensor in the tailpipe. I can't get my smart soon enough!!

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
If it makes everyone feel better, I will be replacing my 2001 Miata LS with a smart cabrio. Both will be used for around town commuter cars and short trips to the IE. I use my mini-van as the long distance cruiser [vegas, baby...LOL] and for hauling clients around to look at dozens of houses they will not be buying until the market has finally hit bottom [whine...]
Miata's and smart cabrio's fulfill the same function, and have exactly the same amount of luggage room, 5.1 cu. ft. The smart is less expensive, feels more rigid due to the tridion cell, has a better top mechanism, much better forward vision and gets about double the mileage. My Miata has never passed a pothole that didn't make it feel like it was going to break something (usually one of the expensive "sports suspension" shocks) and I have flattened two tires on a pothole on a major street by LAX. Even when the shocks are good and the planets align properly, it rides like a lumber wagon on the "well maintained" local freeways. It has also stranded me twice on hot days in the IE due to a faulty secondary O2 sensor in the tailpipe. I can't get my smart soon enough!!
I also have a Miata (actually my wife's :D) and a smart cabrio, and as stated elsewhere, the two cars serve different purposes and are therefore designed differently. I love them both. Comparing the two is an asinine exercise in idiocy, and I would not subscribe to the rantings on the Miata.net site. With that said, the Miata is a sports car designed for nimble handling, and it would take some serious mods to turn a smart into a Miata. On the other hand, the smart is designed to do lots of things better than the Miata, and no amount of engineering is going to turn a Miata into a smart.

Although I don't feel unsafe in the Miata, I do feel a lot safer in the smart, and my cabrio's top is light years ahead of the Miata's. But in no way do I regret getting either car, as they serve entirely different purposes. If you're going to get a (relatively) cheap sports car with great handling and good gas mileage, you can do a lot worse than a Miata. And if high gas smileage and unique styling and design is your thing, then the smart is certainly the way to go. Either car is a good choice, depending on what one hopes to achieve.

I just want to say that not all, or even most, Miata owners are jerks. I've passed by several who've given me thumbs up in my smart. Let the Miata.net folks have their fun; remember that many Miata owners, due to temporary insanity, paid upwards of $30,000 or more when the car was first offered in 1989-1990. This was even though the Miata listed at around $13,800 MSRP, so it's not surprising some of them might be a bit bitter and cranky watching us smarties having some fun.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Shrug...

It is just kids... I was a member of miata.net back in the beginnings (early 90's), you can find lots of posts from me in the archives. I loved it back then, lots of true car enthusiasts, very active forum, great club meetings, truly fantastic. At that time the main "other" active car forum was the Mustang forum, and boy where they negative on us. They clamored on how the Miata was too small, too impractical, only had two seats, not enough storage space, not enough horsepower (116 horsepower to start), etc. Sound familiar right?

But by 1999 (10 years after the Miata was introduced) the forum changed, I guess too many kids were now affording older used Miatas and taking over ("Dude, just put an extra large muffler and big turbo stickers on mine!").

I am still a very active Miata/MX-5 enthusiast and drive a very rare Mazdaspeed MX-5 (turbocharged with a ton of horses). I am also picking up my smart this week and I could not be happier.

Again I find myself choosing a car that is too small, too underpowered, too impractical, and I am loving it!

When I test drove the smart I found it to be peppy, responsive, fun. I didn't expect it to be like an MX-5, but it didn't have to be. It was something else entirely, something fresh and fascinating. The smart can't be compared to a Miata just as a Miata never compared well to a Mustang.

However, these forums are active and interesting like the old Miata days, and the group gatherings are a real throwback for me. Buying a smart is no longer a product decision, but a lifestyle change that is rapidly becoming on of my best decisions of the year (if you define a year as a 12-14 month waiting period, ha ha). Best part for me, I get to do this "twice" in my lifetime.

Rick

·
Registered
182 Posts
People talk bull about smart's safety, but Miata = impromptu Hummer ramp in an accident, much like the Corvette or any other wedge-shaped sports car. I'd rather bounce off them in a smart than find myself wrapped around their propeller shaft.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts