Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is well known that the rear Brabus wheels/tire combo are prone to easy failure from potholes, but I do not see anyone addressing the non-pothole Hankook tire failure. I have half a dozen 17" wheels. Four of them have the stock Hankook Ventus ES V4 tires on them that came factory. Three of them are splitting between the threads with 7/32 of tread remaining. These were manufacture in 05/2008. Appears Hankook only has one recall which is 2013+ Ventus of a certain tire size, they dry rot from the inside out. Looked at some reviews on tire rack, seems there are some reporting this.

I am going to put Bridgestone Driveguard 215/45R/17 run flat on the rear as a replacement. Please check your tires. Make sure you look in between the treads for cracking.

If you want 215/35r17, then I'd recommend the stock tire that European Brabus Smarts have, the Yokohama S Drive. It is a better tire to begin with.

I have found Hankook to be comparable to more expensive options on my other vehicles, but I would never recommend buying a Ventus tire.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
It is well known that the rear Brabus wheels/tire combo are prone to easy failure from potholes, but I do not see anyone addressing the non-pothole Hankook tire failure. I have half a dozen 17" wheels. Four of them have the stock Hankook Ventus ES V4 tires on them that came factory. Three of them are splitting between the threads with 7/32 of tread remaining. These were manufacture in 05/2008. Appears Hankook only has one recall which is 2013+ Ventus of a certain tire size, they dry rot from the inside out. Looked at some reviews on tire rack, seems there are some reporting this.

I am going to put Bridgestone Driveguard 215/45R/17 run flat on the rear as a replacement. Please check your tires. Make sure you look in between the treads for cracking.

If you want 215/35r17, then I'd recommend the stock tire that European Brabus Smarts have, the Yokohama S Drive. It is a better tire to begin with.

I have found Hankook to be comparable to more expensive options on my other vehicles, but I would never recommend buying a Ventus tire.
I have 30k miles on a set. I see the cracking/splitting, it's the only reason they need to be replaced. The tread is still there. The sidewalls are still strong. But, they are 7-8 year old tires. It's time anyway. No need to pick on Hankook for a perfectly fine tire. They grip everything and have offered awesome performance over the years!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have 30k miles on a set. I see the cracking/splitting, it's the only reason they need to be replaced. The tread is still there. The sidewalls are still strong. But, they are 7-8 year old tires. It's time anyway. No need to pick on Hankook for a perfectly fine tire. They grip everything and have offered awesome performance over the years!
Agreed, definitely they are past the expiration time. Though I have much older Hankook tires and no cracks.

I'm not complaining, I just think for safety sake people should look and do not risk it, if you drive on highways and especially driving during hot summer months.

I wasn't picking on Hankook. See my last sentence. I picked on Ventus. The recalls were likely due to sheer numbers of those sold, these tire sizes are specialized and rare thus a recall is unlikely.

They do perform and they have been a fine tire. I still would prefer the yokos.

With that said, I am wondering if 205/45 or 215/45 on the rear would be better, there is one option for 215 yet 21 options for run flats for 205.

Lastly, I can't find the answer but it appears the speedo is based on all four wheels?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do not like that a moderator likes my post. I'd rather the moderator explain the reasoning she/he likes.

I do not wish to be accurate or popular. I simply am looking for help on making things better. I feel no victory on having more or being the best. Different forum.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I do not like that a moderator likes my post. I'd rather the moderator explain the reasoning she/he likes.

I do not wish to be accurate or popular. I simply am looking for help on making things better. I feel no victory on having more or being the best. Different forum.
Generally, jwight likes posts that he believes are informative. He likes them from a moderator's perspective, not necessarily liking posts as a way of picking and choosing sides. Takes years of reading through the forum to figure that out. :nerd:

·
Super Moderator
29,034 Posts

Color me confused.....:shrug:

·
Super Moderator
29,034 Posts
Generally, jwight likes posts that he believes are informative. He likes them from a moderator's perspective, not necessarily liking posts as a way of picking and choosing sides. Takes years of reading through the forum to figure that out. :nerd:
I was going to "like" your post but didn't want to offend you. :D

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,786 Posts
Moderators, who VOLUNTEER their time to a Forum, may "like" as a common member but really shouldn't be expected to "explain."

Oh, and I do not like green eggs and ham - different Forum? :wink:

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,578 Posts
For what it's worth....I am pretty certain the 451 Euro Brabus has 225-35x17 tires on the rear. I know they have 16" wheels on the front, but not sure of the tire size.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Moderators, who VOLUNTEER their time to a Forum, may "like" as a common member but really shouldn't be expected to "explain."

Oh, and I do not like green eggs and ham - different Forum? :wink:
I was lashing out over something completely unrelated to the moderator or anything to do with Smart Car of America.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For what it's worth....I am pretty certain the 451 Euro Brabus has 225-35x17 tires on the rear. I know they have 16" wheels on the front, but not sure of the tire size.
I would prefer the 16" on the front. They would bode well driving in adverse road conditions. I have some raisers for the front suspension, but I think why. I suppose I could use them for run flats for the front, but I like how the 35s look on the front.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,786 Posts

I was lashing out over something completely unrelated to the moderator or anything to do with Smart Car of America.
The thread may have been about "tires splitting" but my response came from the above moderator comment - whatever?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Brabus,

I recently purchased a 2015 Brabus that was a dealer demo with two thousand miles on it. I find this post interesting as I wasn't sure about the Hankook tires being a quality tire. But they seem to be fine. I just ordered a new right rear rim because the test drivers or dealer staff or someone curbed the rim. The dealer gave me a great deal on the purchase of a replacement as they took off $150.00 dollars off a $450.00 plus dollar rim. I was going to take it to Costco and have them swap it out and replace all the tires air with Nitrogen. Do you think it will help to slow the deterioration of the tire down? I don't drive my cars much and they mostly sit in the garage. I'll keep my eyes on them bit so far they are sticky and ride great. Thanks for the information. Great post!

hartmn

1 - 14 of 14 Posts