Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine "broke" off. I cracked open the housing looks like there is a dowel inside that goes into the mirror housing and is turned and it holds the mirror on.

I bet there's a tool to compress the spring and allow the dowel to be twisted and put back on the car.

I think it can be re-attached but here's a photo for FYI purposes.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
i'd be worried if he somehow managed to break his own mirror just by washing the car. Pretty sure it'd take a lot of effort to snap it off at the pivot point.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
If the carwash was at fault, why not have the mirror fixed at the dealership at their expense?
Because it wasn't at the dealership...

Pardon my ambiguity. When I said "at their expense," I was referring to the carwash's expense.

In other words, if the carwash was at fault, why not have the mirror fixed at the dealership at the carwash's expense?

·
Registered
249 Posts
If the carwash was at fault, why not have the mirror fixed at the dealership at their expense?
Because it wasn't at the dealership...

Pardon my ambiguity. When I said "at their expense," I was referring to the carwash's expense.

In other words, if the carwash was at fault, why not have the mirror fixed at the dealership at the carwash's expense?
Most if not all Carwashes have a disclaimer for any damage done to the customers auto. In other words, they will not pay for a fix. That includes outside mirrors, antennas, front and rear wiper blades and arms just to mention a few.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I could see a disclaimer qualifying as a means of not having to pay for repairs if it were under normal circumstances. The car wash breaking a mirror.... that don't sound like it's functioning normally.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
A car wash can disclaim whatever they want, but that doesn't absolve them of fault, including damage claims.

If a car wash chews off a new car mirror in the ordinary course of washing the car, the car wash needs to pay. Simple.

A customer has the right to expect reasonable care, disclaimer or not.

·
Registered
721 Posts
My local automated carwash turned both of my mirrors backwards, even after they turned them in. The side brushes grabbed them and flipped them around. I was able to turn them back to normal position without damage, but I don't think I'll be going back there again.

There's a "no-touch" spray only wash across the street...I'll be going there (or doing it myself) from now on...

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
I've been using a local car wash here for several years with no adverse results. They even figured out how to get the tailgate open...eventually. YMMV. :)

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Most if not all Carwashes have a disclaimer for any damage done to the customers auto. In other words, they will not pay for a fix. That includes outside mirrors, antennas, front and rear wiper blades and arms just to mention a few.
True true. The disclaimer cause.

You can wash a smart car with a q-tip.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts