Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
That's terrible, it isn't easy recovering from something like that at that age.
Not wearing seatbelts didn't help matters. Probably figured out a way to FOOL the seatbelt reminder chime. You know like using a magnet or something.
You know the old line "I ain't going to have any government telling me when I have to wear a seatbelt." That's a pretty sturdy roll bar on the convertables, I have read that there is extra reinforcement in the windshield too.

There's a chance they may have faired better if they were strapped in.

·
Premium Member
7,610 Posts
Move to the left for emergency vehicles & duh, seat belts may save your life . . .

smart cabrio is not going to fare well against a firetruck, pickup & trailer!

An Augusta County fire truck was parked in the right northbound travel lane, with its emergency lights activated, to attend to a minor crash that had occurred earlier in the northbound lanes of I-81 at the 223 mile marker. (The vehicles involved in that crash were on the right shoulder).

A Smart Fortwo was traveling north in the right lane when it tried to suddenly merge into the left lane to avoid striking the fire truck. When it attempted to move to the left lane, the Smart car sideswiped a Dodge pickup truck (that was in the left lane) and then struck the trailer the pickup was towing. The impact of the crash forced the Smart car back into the right travel lane where it struck the fire truck. The Smart car then overturned.

The driver of the Smart vehicle, 78, of Rhode Island, and his passenger, 60, of Rhode Island, were not wearing seat belts and were ejected from the car. Both were transported to UVA Medical Center for treatment.

https://augustafreepress.com/two-injured-in-crash-on-interstate-81-in-augusta-county/

State police say charges against the driver of the vehicle striking the fire apparatus are pending.

"He either wasn't paying attention or was traveling at a speed that was too high to make a controlled stop."

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Sorry, but does any aircraft pilot not fasten their seatbelts becasue there is no warning beeper? Yes, I disabled that obnoxious manic beeper. Yes, I always fasten my seatbelt before the car is out of the driveway or parking lot - but usually after the key has been turned to "start".

·
17,363 Posts
That's a pretty sturdy roll bar on the convertables, I have read that there is extra reinforcement in the windshield too.
The cabrios have reinforcement in the lower tridion cell since they don't have a roof to complete the cell. They also have the rollbar and reinforcement in the windscreen. Convertibles are traditionally less safe than their solid roof counterparts. While a cabrio smart does appear to deform more than a coupe in high speed crashes, they're still quite remarkable.

Of course, it would be even more remarkable if people wore their bloody seatbelts! :bangwall:

·
Registered
229 Posts
I agree, wear seat belts, use turn signals, do not text and drive... the list could go on...
Would this idea work? Make turn signals, seat belts an expensive option on all cars, a mandatory option that you have to pay for.
Over time, if you are using them, which could be tracked by an onboard computer... you get rebates.
Well, I guess it would be a huge can of worms to put into use.

·
17,363 Posts
I agree, wear seat belts, use turn signals, do not text and drive... the list could go on...
Would this idea work? Make turn signals, seat belts an expensive option on all cars, a mandatory option that you have to pay for.
Over time, if you are using them, which could be tracked by an onboard computer... you get rebates.
Well, I guess it would be a huge can of worms to put into use.
Honestly, I thought about stiff fines and potential jail time for failing to put the phone down and driving distracted.

But then again, that's what we do with drunk drivers and it doesn't seem to stop them. They have no problem driving on revoked licenses and more DUIs on their record than we've had Moon landings.

At least seatbelt compliance has been high since it was made a requirement. Now just to figure out how to get people to pay attention to the road and stop driving intoxicated.

·
Registered
32 Posts
"Police said the victims were not wearing seat belts"

I don't care if you're driving a tank the car can't protect you if you're not buckled up. Your body becomes a vehicle traveling at 50 MPH and it's a little bit softer than a smart car. It's funny how people think putting on a seat belt requires too much effort but will spend time disabling warning chimes and even wearing fake seatbelts. IMO it's a personal choice if an adult wants to wear one but also you suffer the consequences of your choices.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts