Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
There is a new lighter weight rooftop style folding tent unit now available. It's call a FeatherLite. When compared to one of our standard size Safari style units, these have about a 20% weight reduction and a 20% lower closed profile. They also have a slightly smaller footprint and in warmer summer weather, the roof ventilation panels work nicely with the fly removed for star gazing.

For full details visit FeatherLite Tent Unit at Top-Tent.com.

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
There is a new lighter weight rooftop style folding tent unit now available. It's call a FeatherLite. When compared to one of our standard size Safari style units, these have about a 20% weight reduction and a 20% lower closed profile. They also have a slightly smaller footprint and in warmer summer weather, the roof ventilation panels work nicely with the fly removed for star gazing.

For full details visit FeatherLite Tent Unit at Top-Tent.com.

Looks like some thing that would work well with a explorer box from CCC.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Now the owner of a Time Out Easy Camper

Just picked up the Time Out Easy Camper. Towed it a 100 miles, and I can report that the Smart (451) can easily handle this thing. No problems braking or towing. Acceleration is a bit slower, especially at highway speeds.

I've towed a lot of things with a lot of things, and this combo is the easiest. Backing up is pretty easy too, and the whole rig takes up one car parking space in most lots.

They have a deal that if you get a code from someone with a trailer, you get $200 off. My code is jwagg16. You have to order online at timeouttrailers.org. z

My first impressions are that, even though this is the small one, it's HUGE. Easy to set up and take down, and lots of space for storage.

Using the Curt hitch with a flat 4-pin wiring that fits into the trailers 5-pin without any adapters.

Taking it on a big trip to Colorado next weekend. I'll post an update. Happy to answer any questions.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Back from about a 3,000 mile trip round-trip Santa Fe and Chicago.

Towing the Time Out Easy Camper with a 451 is dead simple and most of the time you don't even know it's there. You DO notice it when you try to accelerate up hill at highway speeds. Lots of time in 4th, and some times when I couldn't maintain 75 in Colorado. But overall, I just drove the car.

Braking did take a bit longer. BTW, learned that if you emergency brake (which I did as a test), the car puts on the hazard lights automatically. Weird.

One thing I didn't anticipate is that going over bumps at high speed sends the trailer airborne. It just bounces behind, but didn't cause any problems.

Camping in the trailer was nice. The tent is very secure. The only complaint was that it's nearly impossible to level the trailer on uneven ground. The middle part levels with jacks, but the ends which form the bed and floor area don't have any adjustments. I had to dig a small trench to get the bed to be level. In the future, I think I park with the wheels on boards, and then use other board to level the ends.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts