Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Does anyone know the procedure for getting a Smart Car (2008 Cabriolet) smogged in California?

I just got back from a Smog Check place, where the technician couldn't figure out how to do the dynamometer test -- I think the ESP was refusing to allow the rear wheels to roll fast while the front ones were still.

Thanks,
Jeremy

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
...a Smog Check place, where the technician couldn't figure out how to do the dynamometer test... my
What jet said.

Jeremy, don't think "Smog Check place" and "technician" can both be used in the same sentence? Maybe in some circles "tool" and "technician" are interchangeable?

Seriously, smart has been out there long enough that a CA trained technician should have been able to figure this out?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
...I'll say pull fuse 11...

Jetfuel...next...
+1, or hit both buttons on the dash before starting the engine until the car beeps at you. That will disable the ESP, traction control, and ABS.

Of course, the real solution is to get out of Cali, and avoid the hassle....

Really glad we don't have to put up with that B.S. in Indiana....:cool:

·
Registered
271 Posts
I first started driving in Ohio and we still had to have the E-Check. I remember here they would run your car like described but you could request, or if your vehicle was all wheel drive all the time they could do an IDLE test. They stuck a probe in the exhaust pipe and let it idle till the computer said it was ok.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I live in Los Angeles, CA and have had my smart fir 5 years. Smog check has yet to be asked for by the DMV.

Hi all,

Does anyone know the procedure for getting a Smart Car (2008 Cabriolet) smogged in California?

I just got back from a Smog Check place, where the technician couldn't figure out how to do the dynamometer test -- I think the ESP was refusing to allow the rear wheels to roll fast while the front ones were still.

Thanks,
Jeremy

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I'm just unlucky then (or maybe it's because I bought the car used?)

In any case, I resolved the problem by going to a different Smog Check station, where the technician was more knowledgeable. According to him, Smarts don't need a dynamometer test, they only require an idle test, which is what he did.

-Jeremy

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Smart is under 1.0L and is exempt from biannual smog check :) I'm surprised they don't charge you either! (Did I write that out loud?? OOPS

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
To be exempt, it has to be under 50 cubic inches which is 819cc's. 451 is way over. However the 450 meets it handily and I'm exempt.

My mistake, I looked on the DMV website and found:

"Vehicles registered in areas subject to the biennial smog certification program are required to submit evidence of a smog certification every other renewal period. Starting January 1, 2005, owners of vehicles six or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first six registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification. The registration renewal notice mailed to you by the department will indicate if a smog certification is required. If a smog certification is required and you have not had a smog inspection, you may still pay your registration fees to avoid any late fees. However, you will not receive your new registration or year sticker until the smog information has been received by DMV."

So while I have not been required to get a check on my 2008, I am still paying for it!
Gotta love CA!!

·
Registered
599 Posts
ugh, mine is due in April and I'm saddled with this issue!! Please PM me if anyone finds a place that will smog a smart in SoCal

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Bottlerocket… just FYI I successfully got my Smart smog-checked at the Pasadena Test Only & Smog Check (1920 E Walnut St, Pasadena, CA) with no problems. I suspect that most smog check places know how to handle a Smart car by now; I think I was just unlucky on my first attempt.

·
Registered
663 Posts
So does this mean a 450 CDI could be registered in California? My guess is the stumbling block would be the importation, not the registration. I have seen 5 CDI's in the Palm Springs area this year. Two I know were Canadian, the others I don't know.

I get a half hearted offer about once per month to buy our CDI. We still need it, but some day.... ;)

Nah, don't think its legal for a Canadian to sell a car in the US. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts