Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if putting a 453 engine into a 451 would be possible? Considering the engine size and everything else

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,782 Posts
Depends on how deep your pockets are?

With a really BIG bag of money, anything is "possible."

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Was wondering if putting a 453 engine into a 451 would be possible? Considering the engine size and everything else

The two versions are complete different architectures, both the engine and the vehicle. Major fabrication would be required and many, many expensive parts not available used just to make the engine run.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't I just take the engine and transmission and put it into the 451 and scrap the paddles? Like turn the 451 into a Manuel 453?

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
since the motors are made by different manufacturers, the computers and the connectors may not be compatible, as well as the mounts, attachment hardware, etc. It would take sitting down and comparing each component and make sure they are the same to make it a plug and play system.

That being said, you can make anything fit if you want to. It only takes time, and money to make it fit and work.

see MB DNA's post...

·
Registered
912 Posts
Back up a step. What are you trying to achieve by doing this? What does the 451's existing Mitsubishi engine not do that you expect the 453's Renault engine to do?

The 453's engine makes more power. It has a turbo. Fair enough ... you can put a turbo on the 451's Mitsubishi engine and make even more, and although the turbo is an expensive kit, it will cost less than your proposed engine swap would.

Gearshifting? The transmission that the 453's engine is attached to is either a fully manual transmission with a mechanical shift lever and linkage and clutch pedal that your 451's bodyshell and interior don't have places for and still be "nice" without a lot of fabrication work, or it's a fully automatic transmission with electronic controls that are incompatible with your vehicle's electronics.

Engine swaps in a '68 Chevelle were a piece of cake. No electronics, lots of space to work with, everyone's engines mounted pretty much in the same way (minor engine mount and bracket modifications were all that were needed), everyone used a plain ordinary mechanical accelerator cable to a carburetor. No emission controls to deal with. Even if you wanted to put a Chevy engine into a Ford (it's been done many times) it really wasn't all that hard.

It ain't like that any more.

If you like the 453's refinement, and better shifting (whether fully manual or fully automatic), and more power then buy a complete 453 car with engine and transmission already installed and with a full warranty and leave it alone!

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Back up a step. What are you trying to achieve by doing this? What does the 451's existing Mitsubishi engine not do that you expect the 453's Renault engine to do?

The 453's engine makes more power. It has a turbo. Fair enough ... you can put a turbo on the 451's Mitsubishi engine and make even more, and although the turbo is an expensive kit, it will cost less than your proposed engine swap would.

Gearshifting? The transmission that the 453's engine is attached to is either a fully manual transmission with a mechanical shift lever and linkage and clutch pedal that your 451's bodyshell and interior don't have places for and still be "nice" without a lot of fabrication work, or it's a fully automatic transmission with electronic controls that are incompatible with your vehicle's electronics.

Engine swaps in a '68 Chevelle were a piece of cake. No electronics, lots of space to work with, everyone's engines mounted pretty much in the same way (minor engine mount and bracket modifications were all that were needed), everyone used a plain ordinary mechanical accelerator cable to a carburetor. No emission controls to deal with. Even if you wanted to put a Chevy engine into a Ford (it's been done many times) it really wasn't all that hard.

It ain't like that any more.

If you like the 453's refinement, and better shifting (whether fully manual or fully automatic), and more power then buy a complete 453 car with engine and transmission already installed and with a full warranty and leave it alone!

The core of the problem is, the OP bought a smart, and wants a sports car.

This is the 3rd thread he has started asking about engine swaps. A smart is what it is. He wants to beat his buddies Subaru WRX(or whatever it is), and that's not going to happen with a smart. Starting a different thread isn't going to get you a different answer.

The OP obviously has little/no experience with mechanics or engine swapping in general. GoFaster has hit it square on the head. The technical difficulties of swapping modern computer controlled powertrains is huge. This isn't like swapping a small block Chevy into a 32 Ford... It can be done, but in the end you will spend double or triple the cost of buying a car that will just do what you want to begin with... Plus you don't have some bastardized conglomeration of parts nobody in their right mind would work on...

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
This is the 3rd thread he has started asking about engine swaps. A smart is what it is. He wants to beat his buddies Subaru WRX(or whatever it is), and that's not going to happen with a smart. Starting a different thread isn't going to get you a different answer.
Unless he swapped the mitsubishi engine out for a Hyabusa engine or something along those lines. Then it'd probably have no trouble demolishing a WRX.... or most any other car for that matter. But that requires far more than just take engine out, put engine in, and wire it up properly.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Ok. Would the 451 have enough room for a variable turbo?
Variable-vane-geometry turbochargers are not commonly applied to gasoline engines. Yes it's been done but doing it on your own will be an uphill battle. VGT turbochargers are commonly used in diesels nowadays ... but the conditions in the exhaust manifold are different from those of a gasoline engine.

The nature of the questions that you are asking suggests that your best course of actions are (1) leave well enough alone, and if you can't deal with that, then (2) install a pre-engineered kit. Don't try to do it yourself. You don't have the technical knowledge. I know that, because if you did have the technical knowledge, you wouldn't be asking the questions that you are asking in the place that you are asking them. Sorry for being harsh. I call things the way I see them. No filtering.

This kit uses a Garrett GT20 wastegate-style turbo and it retains the stock exhaust manifold and catalytic converter (which means it has a hope of being quasi-emissions-compliant unless you live in an area that has visual inspection, in which case, forget the whole idea)

smart car Turbo Upgrade Kit - Stage 2 Online Store - smart car Parts and Accessories

Turbo downstream of the catalyst is not ideal but I know of no other way of retaining the catalytic converter and thus staying somewhat emissions compliant.

Disclaimer: I know NOTHING of this kit other than what it says on the website. I have not used it, I have not seen it, I don't know anyone who has tried it, I don't know how well tuned the fuel injection is, I don't know how much it will shorten the life of your engine, I don't know if your clutch will stand up to the abuse.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I do have the knowledge of doing turbos but I was wondering if it would be a better choice than doing a single turbo since the engine is exactly big enough to get a good turbo. I was wondering of getting a variable turbo since you can have a good low and high rpm range

1 - 16 of 16 Posts