Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I need your help. We have a 2008 Smart Passion with a Basic Rack we use for a bike carrier attachment. We stripped out a bolt by accident and I cannot find a replacement ANYWHERE! :( The dealer told me I had to purchase a new rack! I do not believe that. This is what they look like..... Any ideas?? THanks!

Replacement Bolts Basic Rack.jpg

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Well you need to head over to NAPA auto parts, and show them what you got.
Your Pic is Vary vary LITTLE. What is Stripped? The Hole or the allen bolt?
If its the hole, and Metric, you could try a American SAE size. They are about .020 bigger, and almost the same pitch. You use an SAE Tap, and recut the hole. NAPA uusually has a machine shop help you out. GOOD LUCK...
NOTE: If the bolt is stipped, they will give you the right size new bolt...

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
There is an "accessory pack" that comes with every rack in a small box. That has the hardware you need. It has its own part number to order. I do not know the number.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Hi, I need your help. We have a 2008 Smart Passion with a Basic Rack we use for a bike carrier attachment. We stripped out a bolt by accident and I cannot find a replacement ANYWHERE! :( The dealer told me I had to purchase a new rack! I do not believe that. This is what they look like..... Any ideas?? THanks!

View attachment 8434
It is hard to tell from the parts illustration because everything just floats in air. It appears the adapter with the female hole in it is item # 186, part # A 451 899 00 14 bracket (adapter). I have no idea if that is correct or if it includes the bolts that thread into it. See attachment.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I just wanted to update you on the outcome. We went to Fastenal and the male bolt is a standard $1 bolt! Yeah. The female bolt you can purchase here http://capworld.com/i-7179606-smart-bolt-smbolt-hk-aries-offroad.html. Luckily for us, we bought a $10 tap and retapped the existing bolt (which stripped a bit at the top). Worked like a charm! Thanks!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Use a keensert or helicoil thread insert to fix the stripped threads if it's the internal threads that are stripped. Otherwise, fastenal for a new bolt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts