Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

I know similar questions have been asked before, but I would love if someone could put my mind at ease lol.

I just bought some used tires and rims for my 2009 Pure. The rims I got are OZ Racing X2 Wheels which are 6.5 at the back and 5.5 at the front (instead of 5.5 at back and 4.5 at the front). And with these they have 175/55R15 on the front and 195/50R15 on the back (instead of 155/60R15 on front and 175/55R15 on the back).

I managed to get this set for $450 CAD all in, so it was too good of a deal to pass up (could always resell if they don't fit)

From what I have seen online, it should all be good...but someone help me out here!

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
17,550 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!! I'm running oversize tyres on mine (185/60/15 and 195/65/15) with the same width wheels, you'll do just fine. :) Enjoy your new wheels!

·
Banned
43 Posts
Go over to this link and see if you'll have any issues. Main thing is check the tire heights the stagger is for safety so be careful. Especially on your model years as it's narrow as it is with the tires and body width. But don't go radical either way, try to stay within .2 you should have around .3 now.

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

I just came home and saw your thread and I just had my new snow tires installed, I went up a size and will forever stay on that size. It's been an agonizing few months trying to figure this all out, but I'm golden now. Were I'm located we don't measure snowfall in inches but rather in feet. :D

Check it out and up closer it's looks like a little tank, bad ass and clears everything with absolutely no rubbing and I only went down .1 in my stagger but being that they are slightly wider should help to off-set the safety margin.

I'm rocking now with 175/65/15 and 195/60/15 on the same rims, oh yeah baby ..
And some of the best, Nokians and I got them for a song and a dance, that means cheap online. And my shop guy up my way put the treatment to 'em for just over 81 84 smack-a-ronnies. __ The Mercedes bums ain't never touching the squirrel again I got walking distance service now. :burnout:

Good luck to ya and enjoy.

·
Super Moderator
17,550 Posts
Thanks so much! Do you notice a big difference with your speedo?
My speedometer reads dead accurate. Actually, it may actually read 1mph faster than actual! :D Beforehand it was 4mph slow.

Handling could be better, but I intentionally got stupidly thick tyres so I can clear obstacles offroad. By my calculations I basically have a 2" lift over stock in just rubber alone. Unfortunately my suspension does have a little sag though so my ground clearance could be better.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,636 Posts
You should have no issues at all. I am running 7.5x17 Brabus wheels on all four corners with 215/35-17 Hankook tires. No rubbing, no nannies, no problems. Pics in my gallery.

·
I'll figger this car out
349 Posts
The clearances that most people are describing relate to the width of the tire. I'd like to know what the tallest tire is which will fit on the car. I have some tires I'd like to try.
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
17,550 Posts
For a stock 451, you can fit 185/60/15 up front with only limited rubbing and 185/65/15 in back with the same. With a fresh suspension and/or driver that weighs less than I do you could probably do 185/65/15 on all corners. With a lift kit? I think @DreamCarOwner would be best to answer that one. :)

Reactions: strelnik

·
Registered
857 Posts

That is 195/50 15 up front 195/60 15 rear. No rub. Another thing about this tire/wheel set up was front rims were in the rear and rear rims were in the front. It made the front and rear track dead on it was the most sedan like ride I have had for my Smart. If I go Back to that rime set I will have 205/50 up front and 205/60 in the rear with the same backwards rim set up.
currently I have 17 x 6 all around with those 195/40 17 Yokohama S Drives were a great summer and track tire. Its a discontinued tire and want a thicker side wall for both look (more Muscular) and comfort (more cushion) I intend to have 205/40 17 up front 215/45 17 rear leaning towards Hankooks recently introduced to Achilles tires they may get the nod.

I play with this chart often.

·
I'll figger this car out
349 Posts

That is 195/50 15 up front 195/60 15 rear. No rub. Another thing about this tire/wheel set up was front rims were in the rear and rear rims were in the front. It made the front and rear track dead on it was the most sedan like ride I have had for my Smart. If I go Back to that rime set I will have 205/50 up front and 205/60 in the rear with the same backwards rim set up.
currently I have 17 x 6 all around with those 195/40 17 Yokohama S Drives were a great summer and track tire. Its a discontinued tire and want a thicker side wall for both look (more Muscular) and comfort (more cushion) I intend to have 205/40 17 up front 215/45 17 rear leaning towards Hankooks recently introduced to Achilles tires they may get the nod.

I play with this chart often.
Thanks for this info. I am still looking to see how tall of a tire I can install, like a 165/80-15

·
I'll figger this car out
349 Posts
For a stock 451, you can fit 185/60/15 up front with only limited rubbing and 185/65/15 in back with the same. With a fresh suspension and/or driver that weighs less than I do you could probably do 185/65/15 on all corners. With a lift kit? I think @DreamCarOwner would be best to answer that one. :)
Thanks for this info. I am still looking to see how tall of a tire I can install, like a 165/80-15

1 - 11 of 11 Posts