Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone direct experience with Smart Car City on Staten Island? They sell off lease smarts bought at auctions. They do have a great inventory and good prices as well as no negative reviews on eBay.

Around Atlanta there isn't much of a selection- all are white or black with most having higher miles on the odometer. The prices around here are much higher as well, even with transport down here the price would be about the same.

Any thoughts regarding this?

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
I've had no business with them, though their prices are very reasonable. A lot of them seem to be advertised at basically private sale prices. I imagine this company gets these things dirt cheap so they're able to sell them at such price.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I bought my Smart from and recommended two co workers to them and they bought their Smarts from there also. Mine had 25,000 miles both co workers had less than 10,000 miles. All had MB warranty left on them at the time and MB honored the warranty with no issues. Three thumbs up for Smart Car City of Staten Island as a legitimate no nonsense off lease Smart dealer. Small operation with about 30 Smarts on lot at all times.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Just make sure they don’t have to charge you sales tax, so that you end up being forced to pay tax to NY AND GA. I think CA tries to enforce this if you try to buy one here and take it out of state...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought my Smart from and recommended two co workers to them and they bought their Smarts from there also. Mine had 25,000 miles both co workers had less than 10,000 miles. All had MB warranty left on them at the time and MB honored the warranty with no issues. Three thumbs up for Smart Car City of Staten Island as a legitimate no nonsense off lease Smart dealer. Small operation with about 30 Smarts on lot at all times.
Thank you, that is what I wanted to hear!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just make sure they don’t have to charge you sales tax, so that you end up being forced to pay tax to NY AND GA. I think CA tries to enforce this if you try to buy one here and take it out of state...
Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And I guess the other question is: How much did they drop the asking price for you three?

·
Registered
922 Posts
I just purchased my smart from a California dealer and I live in Washington state. If, after purchasing the vehicle, you personally drive the vehicle on a public road in that state, then you are required to pay local sales tax. If your local sales tax is higher than the local sales tax of the state where you bought it, and you paid that other state's sales tax, then you pay the difference to your local agency when you register it. For instance, if CA charges 6% tax and WA charges 10%, and you already paid the 6% to CA, then I have to pay 4% when I register it here in WA.

When I purchased a Corvette through a Montana dealer, it made no difference whether I drove it home or not as my local sales tax rate is higher, so the total tax I paid would have been the same. However, my smart was purchased new and Washington state does not charge state sales tax on a new electric vehicle purchase. So if I drove my smart even one inch on a public road in California after purchasing it, I would have had to pay that unnecessary sales tax to California, with no way to get it back once I got my car home.

The OP sounds like they are intending to buy a used gasoline smart so much of this does not apply. In that case, the primary factor seems to be whether local sales tax rates are lower where they live than in New York. If so and the OP buys and drives a smart home, they will lose the additional amount of money they paid in New York sales tax over their local tax rate.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
In my case (s) I have purchased several cars from out of state in the past few years. The only time I was asked to pay it was two years ago when. purchased an Abarth C from a Iowa dealer. That was because they assumed I was going to finance it. After they found out I was going to pay cash no tax. Even back in the 70's when I purchased a Saab out of Ct to take back to Maine, I just had to sign the sales order over the boarder in Ma. May current smart was purchased last fall out of NJ and shipped to FL. Only tax was here even with temp plates out of NJ. So the point of this whole thing is each state has it's own rules... best to check before signing any sales orders.

·
Registered
842 Posts
And I guess the other question is: How much did they drop the asking price for you three?
Ultimately he is a used car dealer. So you cut the deal you both can work out. I went in and test drove a few Smarts to see how they drove and how I fit in them. I was hooked right away. Not ready to buy that day, I had asked him to look out for me a car under 4000 with warranty. He got one in about a month later. Had some damage 2014 Passion 25000 miles 3999.00 dollars. It was what I asked for so I paid, picked it up and have been quite happy. The other two buyers were more interested in low milage cars. Both say they are happy with their cars and with the negotiated price they paid.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Nice... I sure would have an electric one too if I had a house and driveway. As an apartment dweller I don't know how it would work out. In Chicago do you have a hone situation to plug it in.

Any how another thumbs up for Smart Car City Staten Island.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone- a lot of good information here and now know they are reputable and good to work with. Now just to narrow down the several I like there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts