Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
There's a fine line in discovery marketing between enjoying "the chase" and being jerked around...........wonder which side of the line we're on?
If you think about it, we're just jerking ourselves around. Smart really isn't making much of an effort either way to drum up interest, except for the Smart Tours. They just have the marketing schedule set up to release information on a just-in-time basis so that they have as much time as possible to get the kinks out of their execution tactics. We're the ones whipping ourselves up over rumors, and unofficial threads of information.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
If you think about it, we're just jerking ourselves around. Smart really isn't making much of an effort either way to drum up interest, except for the Smart Tours. They just have the marketing schedule set up to release information on a just-in-time basis so that they have as much time as possible to get the kinks out of their execution tactics. We're the ones whipping ourselves up over rumors, and unofficial threads of information.
I'm thinking that once they have a quantity of cars, an influx of marketing/advertising will kick in ie: tv, magazines, newspapaers, talk shows.
You know, when you own one everyone in sight will want to walk over and look at yours. Since dealers will probably have everyone of these Smarties sold before it shows up the first year or two, the product will advertise itself.

I don't think there's any shady business at all. It's just a great product and as Ihoboy says we're beating ourselves up. It's hard to sit and wait but that's what we have to do. In the meantime we have each other, here, to BS about it and keep each other informed. This is a great forum. :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Got my confirmation...

On Sept. 6th, I received an email from Smart to make the final configuration on my Smart Car. I had signed up and plunked down the $99 early on March 19th. I guess I was REALLY early.

It will be a red on red Passion, I hope.

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
On Sept. 6th, I received an email from Smart to make the final configuration on my Smart Car. I had signed up and plunked down the $99 early on March 19th. I guess I was REALLY early.

It will be a red on red Passion, I hope.
On Sept 6th? So this seems to be a second wave of invites?
(The others were prior to Sept 1st if I remember correctly)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Final config.

Derek.

What is your location ? Do you have an "announced" dealer in your area ?

We're all trying to see if there is any "rhyme or reason" to all this. :confused:

A2jack.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Derek.

What is your location ? Do you have an "announced" dealer in your area ?

We're all trying to see if there is any "rhyme or reason" to all this. :confused:

A2jack.
I think the rhyme AND reason is quite simple. The first 300 people placing reservations are now being contacted. It's looking like somewhere betwenn 9 and 9:30 a.m. on March 19 is the cut-off.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
As I think I see it now, you have 10 business days from the time of being sent the Confirmation Program email to react positively. If not, you go to the end of the line.

If you respond positively, "they" send that information to your (closest?) assigned dealer, and you will subsequently get an offer from the dealer to execute a purchase agreement, which must be done within another 30 days.

Failure to do so results in an automatic refund of the $99 fun-money, and you are then out of the line.

Customer friendly.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Simple Misunderstanding

Could it be that smart usa is secretly monitoring this website, and has perhaps misconstrued certain remarks herein to imply that we're all in a royal hurry to get our cars delivered? ;)

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'd personally be a bit more patient (as they suggest on the website) if I clearly understood the process a bit better and had some feeling of certainty about the order (as difficult as that might be for SmartUSA at this point). As someone who travels a great deal- and I wonder how many of us fall into that catagory- I think people who travel have been exposed to the Smart overseas and have a disposition to get one- the 10 day thing about responding really concerns me. I'd hate to think I'll need to go to the end of the line if i happen to be away and miss the deadline!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Numbering of reservations

I'm in NYC. I registered on March 19th. My reservation number matches another responder (last five digits). Mine is 3511211173. I'm open to theories.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Close on the last 5

I'm in NYC. I registered on March 19th. My reservation number matches another responder (last five digits). Mine is 3511211173. I'm open to theories.
Scoutmaster,
I'm in Albany and the last 5 of my reservation # is 11174 and that number was confirmed on March 20th...the first 5 numbers aren't anywhere close except for the first # of 3.....could be coincidence as Ihoboy suggests.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
It doesn't seem like the last five digits are significant as priority sequence numbers. My number is 3083211271 - less than 100 higher, and I didn't get the number until 25 June (in VA). Gotta be some really obscure algorithm involved.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts