Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My close friend who bought one of the first smart cars in Montana was on his way home last night when he had a near head on collision at close to 65 mph.
The other person was driving South bound in the North bound lanes of a 4 lane divided highway (alcohol was supposedly involved). There was a slight hill and curve and very little time for evasive maneuvers when he saw them.
His foot/leg was pinned in the car but he was able to dial 911 to get help on the way.
His leg is broken in 2 places a broken ankle, wrist and toes.
He will have a very long recovery.
All being said and done he is lucky to be alive!!!!!
The smart car is dead but it lived a very good life!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Look like the smart car held up well considering the type of accident. He would have been dead in many other cars.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,102 Posts
Glad to hear that your friend came out of it pretty well considering the severity of the accident (high speed offset frontal collision) and I wish him a speedy recovery.

Out of curiosity, what was the other vehicle? Photos of how it fared?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haven't gotten the details of the other car yet.
The side air bag(edge of seat) did not deploy.

·
Super Moderator
28,901 Posts
Very sorry to see this but happy that your friend will recover. Could have been a lot worse. The extra 4 airbags starting in 2011 played a big part in the decision to trade in our 09 for a 2011 model. :wink:

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,971 Posts
Wishing a speedy recovery to you friend. He was indeed lucky that he wasn't injured worse though it may not feel like it to him right now. Prayers for his healing.
That's alot of damage to his little car.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Wow! Even the left REAR wheel is broken! Notice how Bent the windshield frame is bent...
Oh, My Goodness! Don't you know that was a loud bang!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
My close friend who bought one of the first smart cars in Montana was on his way home last night when he had a near head on collision at close to 70 mph. ...

:eek:
If that isn't the worst smart accident we've seen here, it's at least in the top 3.
He should not be alive. There would be at least 3 dead mangled people if that were an iQ.

**without sounding insensitive, dare i say it: There's some very salvageable parts on that fortwo.

·
17,431 Posts
Look at the kink in the A-Pillar. It takes some serious force to do something like that.

Fifth Gear crashed a 450 into a wall at 70mph. The kink in that car wasn't nearly as bad as the one here.

Glad he got away okay, wishing for a speedy recovery. I wonder what did they hit to cause such severe damage?

·
DrKillerBee
1,488 Posts
I hope the driver heals quickly and well. He should know that the fact that his car protected him so well gives all of us a great deal of comfort. His survival is an inspiration to all of us "smarties" and if we show this around maybe a few of the "death trap" haters will be quieted.
I am very impressed with how well this smart performed and very happy he survived.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts