Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
smart car Dome Light SMD Replacement Bulb Panel by SMARTMADNESS

Get the most light possible for the interior of your smart.

Replace your factory Dome Light Bulb with this super bright White SMD Panel and give the interior of your smart more light. This SMD Panel has been specifically designed for the smart car.

We have this panel installed in our own smart and it made a big difference! The pictures do not do it justice. It is way brighter then stock and really illuminates the interior in a big way.

Yes this is expensive but it is one of the best modifications you can do for the interior for your smart. These units are not made in China they are Made in Korea.

This SMD panel is a direct replacement for your factory bulb and has an average life of over 50,000 hours. These panel provides more light to the interior of your smart car then any other bulb set.
You will receive an SMD Panel. Installation is easy. Pop off the plastic Dome Light Cover that house the stock bulb. Take the new SMD Panel and clip off the exterior trim around the panel so that the panel is the same shape as the dome light opening (easy to do and takes seconds). Take out the old bulb and replace it with this SMD Panel.

Designed and manufactured in Korea.

For more info and pictures click
smart car Dome Light SMD Replacement Bulb Panel

·
Registered
224 Posts
It may be 'Made in Korea', but it's still chinese parts, look at the back side of the light in the second picture, the festoon dummy bulb has kanji printed on it.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
It may be 'Made in Korea', but it's still chinese parts, look at the back side of the light in the second picture, the festoon dummy bulb has kanji printed on it.
Korea uses both Chinese and Korean characters for its written language. The Korean written language is much younger; it didn't even exist until the 1450s.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well worth it! Just installed this in my smart. The Smart Madness SMD lights were bothersome for me and was always in the off position due to light bleeding so I thought I would give this one a try. Easy and quick installation and I was very pleased with the results! Absolutely no bleeding and I love the dim feature. Extremely bright and it feels as if it is daytime in the car and the SMD layout gives the car a more elegant look. Well worth the $49 and I would recommend this!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Well worth it! Just installed this in my smart. The Smart Madness SMD lights were bothersome for me and was always in the off position due to light bleeding so I thought I would give this one a try. Easy and quick installation and I was very pleased with the results! Absolutely no bleeding and I love the dim feature. Extremely bright and it feels as if it is daytime in the car and the SMD layout gives the car a more elegant look. Well worth the $49 and I would recommend this!
Dim feature :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
The dim feature is when it (the dome light) powers down slowly. I like that too, my BMW was my first car that did that, then I noticed that my partner's 2001 Elantra did it too, kinda took the wind out of my sails for a minute. Ha ha. It's a fun feature, I'm glad our smart cars have it.

·
Registered
775 Posts
The dim feature is when it (the dome light) powers down slowly. I like that too, my BMW was my first car that did that, then I noticed that my partner's 2001 Elantra did it too, kinda took the wind out of my sails for a minute. Ha ha. It's a fun feature, I'm glad our smart cars have it.
Ahh, yes, my BMW does this as well. Actually, many of the cars I've had had this function.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Korea uses both Chinese and Korean characters for its written language. The Korean written language is much younger; it didn't even exist until the 1450s.
Though that's true, the only place I tend to see the Chinese characters is in some traditional settings or in a graveyard. There are only a few hundred now that are taught in school here (at least where I'm at -- or so they tell me anyway), so my guess is you are seeing a high-tech part labeled with Chinese, my guess is it is of Chinese origin. Korea is fast becoming a non-cheap labor market (compared to the rest of southeast Asia), so that's not surprising.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Korea moved to a simplified version of the Chinese/Japanese characters quite some time ago; I believe that it's called Hangool or something like that. THe easy way to tell the difference is in the shape and stroke structure - the Korean ones are rounded off and fit in a standardized space.

Even though Japanese and Chinese use many of the same characters (called kanji in Japanese), they don't always have the same meaning, and almost never have the same pronunciation. You can usually tell Japanese from Chinese text by the presence of smaller, simpler characters (kana, I believe) used to add verb endings and the like.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Did you know the Korean language is more closely related to Finnish than to Chinese or Japanese? It's true...

OK, back to the topic: I gotta say it: The SMD light panel may kick out the jams as far as light goes, but I personally think it looks like... Like... Well, like something I wouldn't want people to see installed in my car. It would look better if it looked like one monster-bright light souce under the OEM plasic lamp cover, and not twelve little separate ones. Maybe it's just a bad photo....

Just one guy's humble opinion. Nothing to see here. Move along, folks...

·
Registered
775 Posts
Did you know the Korean language is more closely related to Finnish than to Chinese or Japanese? It's true...

OK, back to the topic: I gotta say it: The SMD light panel may kick out the jams as far as light goes, but I personally think it looks like... Like... Well, like something I wouldn't want people to see installed in my car. It would look better if it looked like one monster-bright light souce under the OEM plasic lamp cover, and not twelve little separate ones. Maybe it's just a bad photo....

Just one guy's humble opinion. Nothing to see here. Move along, folks...
If I'm not mistaken, the pic posted on the first page is with the cover/diffuser off. I would imagine that with that installed you don't see the individual LEDs any longer. My $.02

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I don't think so -- check Wiki. Korean is thought to be an isolate, but has many similarities with Japanese and Mongolian FWIW
Korean and Finnish are both Ural-Altaic languages with Subject-Object-Verb sentence structure. Japanese and Chinese, OTOH, are not. "Similarities" don't necessarily denote causual links.

Wikipedia is far from an exhaustive source for fact-gathering. I talk to the Professor of Foreign Language Studies at the college I work at when I'm home, instead. She is the poor sot who attempted to teach me remedial Korean before I took a show to Seoul in 1995.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Korean and Finnish are both Ural-Altaic languages with Subject-Object-Verb sentence structure. Japanese and Chinese, OTOH, are not. "Similarities" don't necessarily denote causual links.

Wikipedia is far from an exhaustive source for fact-gathering. I talk to the Professor of Foreign Language Studies at the college I work at when I'm home, instead. She is the poor sot who attempted to teach me remedial Korean before I took a show to Seoul in 1995.
I actually speak Chinese, Some Korean (having lived here for a total of 6 years) as well as a bit of Korean. I read (who knows whether it is true) that syntax isn't proof of much. The structure of Japanese and Korea are very similar (all the endings and levels etc -- it's the only two languages AFAIK that do that), and as one would expect there are also many, many words in Korean with Chinese origin, which actually made it easy to lean some Korean words for me as well as ALL money and large numbers are actually handled with a Chinese counting system (they actually have two counting systems).

So, being pinched between Japan and China geographically, and having been invaded by both many times, at least the influence is quite easy to see [practically speaking]. So, much like much of life, there are likely many influences and inputs. And though I would agree with your assessment of Wiki, in this case, as a non-linguist I would tend to buy more into the isolate with large influences from the adjacent neighbors, but really what do I know?!:wink:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you for the kind words.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts