Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the story - what do you think?

Car - 2008 cabrio bought new, fully loaded, 32k miles

Early this year, the SRS (airbag) light came on. No codes came up on the scanguage. Last month took it into dealer for 30k mile / 6 year service and asked them to check it out.

(NOTE- my Florida 2008 cabrio [bought used at 40k miles] had had a similar problem at 33k miles that was a pinched wire under the passenger seat according to the service records it came with. Code B10B3, total diagnose/repair cost $317.)

"CLIENT STATES SRS LIGHT ON"
"29241 PERFORM SHORT TEST CODE B11D1 NEEDS SEAT REC. SENSOR SEE EST"

As explained by the service writer, who prefaced it with 'bad news', there is a sensor in the passenger seat that had gone bad. The sensor is an integral part and can NOT be replaced by itself, so the whole seat bottom must be replaced and the cost for parts alone is about $1,200. Not covered by any safety equipment warranty or even my extended service plan since the car is over 6 years old (delivery April 2008). Needless to say, I did NOT have them fix it.

Two weeks ago, while doing spring clean/detailing and moving seats forward and back to vacuum, passenger seat got caught on the tool bag that I keep under it so I got on floor to clear the jam. When got tool bag out, noticed a small plug hanging down under the seat - located jack it went into and plugged it in.

No more SRS light!!! Problem resolved.

1. The STAR computer cannot tell difference between an open sensor and open circuit caused by unplugged connector.

2. Service technicians do not bother to trace wiring anymore.

3. Good thing I didn't just open wallet to dealer.

-Barry-

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
There is entirely too much reliance on a deaf, dumb and blind star system. If the service had been performed, you would probably have a new seat without it being considered that the disconnected connector was the problem and not an open circuit seat sensor.

The star system will not detect an air bubble in the engine cooling circuit either.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
And this is exactly why I say there are no longer any true auto technicians anymore, just parts changers. Heaven forbid one of them actually be forced to diagnose a real issue.

Part of the reason nobody touches my cars but me...:wink:

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
1. The STAR computer cannot tell difference between an open sensor and open circuit caused by unplugged connector.

2. Service technicians do not bother to trace wiring anymore.

3. Good thing I didn't just open wallet to dealer.

-Barry-
1. An open sensor and a disconnected sensor are the same thing electrically; open circuit. The first thing one should do is check the circuit integrity at the plug under the seat. The first step in a diagnosis is a visual inspection.

2. Technicians are just like the rest of society. Some want to do a good job and some just want to slide by with minimal effort. Seems like more of the latter as time goes on. Read a code, hang a part, next case. Sad.

3. Amen.

And $1200 is nuts. One can buy a used seat for a couple of hundred and swap the whole seat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts