Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SmartCar Performance is now offering ECU Upgrades:

We offer the RENNTECH technology without the RENNTECH price. With custom software that is at the cutting edge of tuning technology, RENNTECH has inspired some of the most advanced software upgrades on the market today. RENNTECH customers experience improved throttle response, more aggressive transmission shift patterns, increased speeds, and more power.

Find out more: email us at: [email protected]

·
Banned
5,087 Posts
Our test car that we did was able to go 110mph.
:eek: I would be concerned as to how 'stable' the average smart would be at 110 MPH!

Shouldn't an upgrade of this nature be done only AFTER certain other mods have been done, such as springs, tires/wheels, etc? :confused:

To take a 'showroom stock' smart and do that upgrade ONLY would seem to be a bit, should I say.....SCARY!?!?! :eek:

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
90; 110 mph: What's the difference???
Substantial, I'd say. 22% increase in top end. I've only had one car which I've driven over 110. In that car, at least, I found 110+ whitened my knuckles a lot more than 90 MPH did.

I've driven my smart at 90 MPH. Fast enough for me! The ECU upgrade makes other promises which I'd be more interested in. Too pricey for me though.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Is this the same as a remap that we have over here in Britain, where the map is overwritten to give more power, better throttle response, increased rev limit, and in our case allows the turbo to boost to 1.5 bar instead of 1.0 bar?
If it is, I presume instead of plugging in a computer to the ECU and overwriting the map, which only takes a few minutes, the whole ECU is removed and replaced with the remapped ECU.
Forget about top end speed, you can't use it anyway, but a remap is the best thing you can do to your smart car, in my opinion, as it gives it the power it should have had, you don't need to change gear as much, you pull away from junctions a lot smoother and quicker, and if it is a well written map, it saves you money as you get increased fuel economy along with the extra power.
I also recommend you change the stock air filter for a sports filter, the 2 combined is a huge difference.
I am friends with a couple of guys that have a remapping business here in Britain so know quite a bit about reprogrammed ECU's and remaps, and although I don't know the product in question, it will be interesting to hear some figures when they are done, it could be the best thing you do to your car.
Ellis

·
Registered
246 Posts
Is this the same as a remap that we have over here in Britain, where the map is overwritten to give more power, better throttle response, increased rev limit, and in our case allows the turbo to boost to 1.5 bar instead of 1.0 bar?
If it is, I presume instead of plugging in a computer to the ECU and overwriting the map, which only takes a few minutes, the whole ECU is removed and replaced with the remapped ECU.
Forget about top end speed, you can't use it anyway, but a remap is the best thing you can do to your smart car, in my opinion, as it gives it the power it should have had, you don't need to change gear as much, you pull away from junctions a lot smoother and quicker, and if it is a well written map, it saves you money as you get increased fuel economy along with the extra power.
I also recommend you change the stock air filter for a sports filter, the 2 combined is a huge difference.
I am friends with a couple of guys that have a remapping business here in Britain so know quite a bit about reprogrammed ECU's and remaps, and although I don't know the product in question, it will be interesting to hear some figures when they are done, it could be the best thing you do to your car.
Ellis
I agree. My ECU remap increased my performance more than the cold air intake and exhaust system combined.

HerrZ - Now my smartie will outrun my H2... and I can be the jerk in both of them.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We will be doing a lot of testing for the ECU remapping in the next few weeks. The numbers will be detailed, showing Horsepower, Torque, and even acceleration times.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
PMOLINK......... LOVE the spare tire cover on your Hummer!! :) BTW..... I'll be anxiously awaiting the specs on the ECU Remap!! :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Since there's video of dyno testing but no numbers posted, I can only assume that remapped ESU is total disappointment.
Please prove my assumptions wrong.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts