Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Admin emeritus
3,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well a lot of people have been asking where the engine even is on a smart car and while we may not have all the info and photos of the US version smart engine, I thought it would be a good time share the the engine of the imported smart fortwos to give you a little knowledge and educate you on the car you may end up buying if you really want a smart and cant get one as soon as you would like.

Here you will see that the engine sits in a subframe housing that is bolted in to the rear of the car.

Now looking at what the motor consists of and how it is laid out...

Photos gathered from:
http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?page=modpage&id=146
http://www.leafstream.se/smart/february.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks!
This is the most useful bit of info i've found on a car i have on order but have never seen much details on.....
(let alone even sat in!)
Now get me a picture of the sunroof on a Passion so i can decide if i should change my order request to a cabriolet!
Cheers, Haas

·
Registered
57 Posts
I anticipate in the future that you will be able to send your entire subframe with engine, minus wheels & tires to a high performance shop as a core exchange, and they will ship back a souped up replacement to just bolt back in. Simple.
Now you have hot Smart.
Bill

·
Registered
56 Posts
Do you think it can get down to the 1/2 hour engine change like the old VW Beetle? I'm guessing a lot of electronics these days; but if they have quick disconnect plugs, it might be fairly easy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I anticipate in the future that you will be able to send your entire subframe with engine, minus wheels & tires to a high performance shop as a core exchange, and they will ship back a souped up replacement to just bolt back in. Simple.
Now you have hot Smart.
Bill
Mods are very popular in the UK, but not at the level of a complete rebuild of the engine.

Remaps are everywhere, boosting bhp by around 30% (and cutting down gear change times and making sixth gear usable, highly recommended for anyone with an original ForTwo), performance filters are common, as are intake ducts. The more adventurous go for dump valves, improved exhausts etc.

·
Registered
136 Posts
engines

Mods are very popular in the UK, but not at the level of a complete rebuild of the engine
Really.?

I supply engines that have forged rods/pistons/flowed heads/fast road or full race cams/3 different sizes of turbo and either stainless or titanium exhausts.

Ian

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Really.?

I supply engines that have forged rods/pistons/flowed heads/fast road or full race cams/3 different sizes of turbo and either stainless or titanium exhausts.

Ian
Well, I'll just slip the rear engine module into a postage envelope and mail it across the pond to you.:D

Have you developed parts for the 451 yet?

·
Registered
136 Posts

Yes , already have flowed head, two different sizes of exhaust manifold(headers), a full stainless 304 cat back silencer,larger turbos,fully adjustable suspension,brakes etc etc etc.
What do you need?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Bring it!

We need it all! Since the moderators have locked the other modification thread, I guess we will have to work here. Do you have a web site for prices, types of mods, distribution?

tm

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
^^^^^^^^
+1.

Given the fact we won't get a turbo from the dealer in this country, any kind of turbo will be welcome(single, twin, chipmunk with a hand fan, etc.)

A full list and description will be extremely useful. Keep in mind, since none of us get the 451 for several months, you may have to wait a bit before you receive the first orders for bits and pieces.

·
Registered
13 Posts
^^^^^^^^
+1.

Given the fact we won't get a turbo from the dealer in this country, any kind of turbo will be welcome(single, twin, chipmunk with a hand fan, etc.)

A full list and description will be extremely useful. Keep in mind, since none of us get the 451 for several months, you may have to wait a bit before you receive the first orders for bits and pieces.
The Roadster Turbo with the Intake pipe is a GREAT Mod for the For Two!
add the Roadster cam and Fuel Injectors.....Decent gains

Then all one needs is a Remap

·
Registered
136 Posts
tuning

The Roadster Turbo with the Intake pipe is a GREAT Mod for the For Two!
add the Roadster cam and Fuel Injectors.....Decent gains

Then all one needs is a Remap
That ONLY works on the 600/700cc smarts.
The 1000cc engine is so totally different that I had to buy a car to work on the upgrades.
If you need my website look at my user name;)

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
I recall my shade-tree mechanic dropping the engine on my '66 bug, replacing the clutch and re-installing the engine in about 1/2 an hour. The "mechanics" at the dealer stand around that long scratching their asses first.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
I recall my shade-tree mechanic dropping the engine on my '66 bug, replacing the clutch and re-installing the engine in about 1/2 an hour. The "mechanics" at the dealer stand around that long scratching their asses first.
My 67 bus was even easier :)

Just support engine, remove hoses, etc., remove rear cross bar and push bus away from engine :D

Couldn't be easier !!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts