Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was called by the Mercedes/Smart Car dealer up in Jax area, my car is in port along with several thousand others destined to be shipped throughout the S.E. They said I would have within 30 days, but it may be only 10. Just lots of cars to un-wrap, get prepped & shipped to dealers. The gal told me about the warranty you can buy that goes beyond their 24 month, 24K mile bumper to bumper. I do like their tire AND WHEEL unlimited replacement deal for $345. She said the most popular package was 5yr, 60K mile deal along with this tire/wheel deal. You can go all the way out to 100K miles, but I don't need that much as this is strictly a 2nd car mainly for this island we live on. Destination charge is $645, dealer fee is $479.70, transfer tag fee is $100 and tax is 7%. Those cheap folks don't even inc. floor mats, so will order the velour ones, and take a look at the rubber ones also when I'm up there. I went ahead & sold my Toyota SUV to a golfing friend & he won't get until I get the Smart Car. Finally, after 13 months of waiting. Any comments on all those extended warranty deals?:)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
the 3rd party warranty should be considered only if you are extremely risk adverse. it's a lot of money considering what it does not cover, the deductibles and the statistical likelihood of something catastrophic happening after the 2 year FACTORY warranty runs out. the 3rd party warranty is not an extension of the factory warranty. the last time i bought a 3rd party warranty was maybe 15 years ago, paid a few thousand for it, never used it and it was a good thing because the company underwriting it went out of business. waste of a few grand in my case. i'd rather put the few grand in a high-yield account and if something bad happens, i'll have the CASH to repair it.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I purchased the "Universal Underwrite" 60 month/ 60 K mile optional sevice contract for $995 when I signed the financing agreement at the Mercedes dealer. Seemed fairly reasonable service insurance for a first-run model like the 2008 smart fortwo passion.

but, i am one who is risk-averse, i would rather err on the "over-insured" side of this equation...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Warranty

I am musing the very idea as we speak. MB of San Diego offers different extended packages backed supposedly by SMOA, but, it is only a Mechanical Breakdown Insurance package. The 60/60,000 is $995. I have been looking at Warranty Direct, which apparently here in California, is the only company that offers a package for the Smart at this time. Their Bumper to Bumper or exclusionary package is $566 for the 60/60,000 and covers "wear and tear" in addition to MBI. From what I have found out this stuff gets complicated. So, you get a lot more from WD than MBSD. FYI

1 - 5 of 5 Posts