·
Super Moderator
28,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received this from the mother ship in Toronto:

[email protected]
To Me
Jun 26 at 11:19 PM

We don't want to lose you! Canada has a new anti-spam law that may affect our ability to send you information that you may be interested in receiving. To continue to receive emails and other electronic communications containing Smart Car Forums information, updates, newsletters, and other promotional materials, please indicate your consent by clicking the button below.

Yes, I consent

If you cannot view the button, you can consent by clicking here

If you do not provide your consent to receive this information, including newsletters and promotional materials, you may still receive certain administrator and notification messages about your account if your account is currently set to receive these messages. You may withdraw your consent at any time and change your communication preferences by using the unsubscribe link.

This message is personalized to you. Please do not forward this email. If you would prefer to receive these messages at another email address, please sign up here. Electronic communications will be sent by Smart Car Forums, a part of VerticalScope Inc. 111 Peter Street, Suite 700, Toronto, Canada M5H 2H1.
Anyone else? Not sure what membership privileges are involved, but it appears pressing the "consent" button opens me up to receiving spam from Verticalscope. If that's not correct, please advise. :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Essentially what this new Canadian anti-spam law means is that if a company wants to send you emails (ANY! Topic subscriptions, private message notifications, etc.) they must have your express consent (Hence the big "Consent" button). If they send you an email without consent, you have the right to seek damages, etc...

Basically, they're sending the email so that you can't sue them :)

All the informaton is here:

http://fightspam.gc.ca

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Just received this from the mother ship in Toronto:

Anyone else? Not sure what membership privileges are involved, but it appears pressing the "consent" button opens me up to receiving spam from Verticalscope. If that's not correct, please advise. :)
No such Verticalscope communication from the AG mother ship in my spam or email, "cannot view THE BUTTON?"

Odd, as in the broad scope this would appear to be applicable to all? But then again, maybe the Forum is about to become a sand box for The Mod Squad only?

Or maybe this is another AG Beta Test, oh that's right no testing required??? :shrug:

·
Registered
449 Posts
This should be applicable to all, since they are Toronto-based. I got the email last night, and it sounds like Jwight got it this morning. They are likely slowly blasting it the email out to all members across all AutoGuide forums alphabetically. I bet yours will come in tonight, or maybe tomorrow morning. They've likely got to keep the email sending slow so as to not nuke any servers with a huge job. (Be it the actual task of sending the emails, or the chance that a huge number of users would go to consent simultaneously)

·
Super Moderator
28,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apparently it only applies to Canadian SCoA members*; I may have received it as a moderator for some reason. Sorry for any confusion. :)

* or perhaps not - we'll see.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Well, I'm not Canadian but I got the email last night. I checked out flossysmart's link, it's all legit, and the anti-spam info page even contains a link to a "National Do Not Call" page! I consented figuring I could opt out, and was redirected to the forum. So just a little concerning at first, but no big deal. I love Canadians and wish we had a more active anti- spam and "do not call" thing going on where I live.

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
Is it possible, repeat: possible that anyone who did at one time logon from a Canadian IP, like when travelling, is on the list as such because the software does keep track "blindly" of such things. :shrug:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts