Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071122/BUSINESS01/711220419/1014

freep.com said:
Linda Moudakas drives a Mercedes-Benz sedan with 140,000 miles on the odometer. For her next car, she's thinking of downsizing. Really downsizing.

She's in line to buy something that looks like a glorified golf cart, a car so short it can theoretically be legally parked head first along a curb. No hood. No trunk.

Behold, the Smart car.
Reprinted from USA Today by the Detroit Free Press

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Not a bad article ....even from Detroit. I really didn't see too much inference to *Huge Hurdles* anywhere in the article after reading it twice. Someone will always say, "Well, what will happen to it if it's hit straight on by a giant SUV?" Well, duhhhhhhhhhh :( What will happen to ANYTHING if hit straight on by a giant SUV?????? No rocket science there.... Any other vehicle will fare far worse than the Smart with it's walnut shell like protection. I can see that this will be one question that many will bombard us with in conversations in the future as we take to the road with our Smarts.
That kind of mindset has to be changed and a good answer to the question can only be realistically answered with first hand experiences that will occur, unfortunately, once the car begins trekking around the US.
Ah...I now see it's a reprint from USA Today...Sorry about that, Detroit! :D

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
End-On Parking

Smart Car has huge hurdles - Detroit Free Press

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...711220419/1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by freep.com
Linda Moudakas drives a Mercedes-Benz sedan with 140,000 miles on the odometer. For her next car, she's thinking of downsizing. Really downsizing.

She's in line to buy something that looks like a glorified golf cart, a car so short it can theoretically be legally parked head first along a curb. No hood. No trunk.

Behold, the Smart car.

I have looked at a number of online municipal regulations concerning parallel parking, and they have a common thread: parallel, in the direction of travel, and within 12” of the curb or edge of the pavement. That argues that there is universal guidance that forms these regulations (most likely the NHTSA).

I think it would be in the best interest of everyone here or that may read this forum that we members dissuade owners from trying the end-on stunt. It is cutesy to talk and write about, but is apparently a non-starter in the US.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
RE end on parking.... I tend to agree that most ordinances prohibit it, and that it is probably fairy universal in most states and large cities...

I dare say in some eclectic areas the tactic of end on parking may catch hold and be more then just cutesy.... San Fran, Portland, or Seattle University districts come to mind--- Prehaps in some strange, "old hippie" enclaves in small towns like Bisbe AZ will probably get a kick out of using less space and ignore the "parallel to street" issue and I bet the local constable does also

Editied in ... Fishrdnc being in Williamsburg I would have thought you might embrace better use of parking space... I love the old town area but usually have to park a ways away and walk to it....

·
Registered
16 Posts
While most cities currently prohibit head-in parking in a parallel parking space, those ordinaces can easily change. Also remember that the same cities that don't allow head in parking for cars encourage it for motorcycles.

We will adapt.

In Austin there was a 1957 BMW Z-MOLD Coupe, the 2 seater kind where the front of the car is the door, it head-in parked all the time, nobody ticketed it because it just made sense.

Jeff Lomax
Austin TX

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Editied in ... Fishrdnc being in Williamsburg I would have thought you might embrace better use of parking space... I love the old town area but usually have to park a ways away and walk to it....
Well, y'know we only have what we have. It is pretty much a walkabout town (I'm three small blocks south of "College Corner" and "DoG Street"). The streets are far too narrow for angle parking or in some cases, parallel on both sides. We are lucky that we don't have length-delineated spaces, so, smarts can tuck into the leftovers. But, big changes since your Ft. E. days; there are now two two-level public parking garages (the one right in-town done in the appropriate Flemish-bond brick), and Zable Stadium (W&M) now has lights for night football games. Jimmy Layco*ck is still here!

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Smart Car has huge hurdles - Detroit Free Press

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...711220419/1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by freep.com

Behold, the Smart car.

I have looked at a number of online municipal regulations concerning parallel parking, and they have a common thread: parallel, in the direction of travel, and within 12” of the curb or edge of the pavement. That argues that there is universal guidance that forms these regulations (most likely the NHTSA).

I think it would be in the best interest of everyone here or that may read this forum that we members dissuade owners from trying the end-on stunt. It is cutesy to talk and write about, but is apparently a non-starter in the US.
I thought that, too, Fish. Cutsey is a good way to put it. Like look at me....I can do that with my car but you can't.....:p.

Better to just take the space in the right direction and maybe some day they'll actually have parking spots specified for Smarts like in Europe .
I wouldn't hold my breathe for that one, though.:rolleyes:

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
smart Spots

Not totally unthinkable, but not just for smarts. Maybe if there is a general rennaissance of micro cars. There is already an allowable standard of 19' x 9' for normal car spaces, and 15' x 8' for compacts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Someone will always say, "Well, what will happen to it if it's hit straight on by a giant SUV?" Well, duhhhhhhhhhh :( What will happen to ANYTHING if hit straight on by a giant SUV?????? No rocket science there.... Any other vehicle will fare far worse than the Smart with it's walnut shell like protection. I can see that this will be one question that many will bombard us with in conversations in the future as we take to the road with our Smarts. :D
I think there is a 2 part response. Here is a possible version:

• Hmmm, that's a good question! What happened to you last time you were "...hit straight on by a giant SUV?"
  • Oh, hasn't happened to you in a while? Well, I'd guess probably the same thing that would happen to any other well engineered compact or small car. You'll have more protection than on a bicycle or motorcycle, less than in an H1 or Mack Truck.

Not much point in arguing or you giving stupid comments credence. When people say stupid things I'm thinkin' it's best to subtly/gently let them see they've said a stupid thing and try to keep the conversation on a positive track.

There are stupid comments and stupid people. If it turns out more than just the comment is stupid, you now know the conversation might not be time well spent and make a non-contentious exit.

·
Registered
359 Posts
While most cities currently prohibit head-in parking in a parallel parking space, those ordinaces can easily change. Also remember that the same cities that don't allow head in parking for cars encourage it for motorcycles.

We will adapt.

In Austin there was a 1957 BMW Z-MOLD Coupe, the 2 seater kind where the front of the car is the door, it head-in parked all the time, nobody ticketed it because it just made sense.

Jeff Lomax
Austin TX
Hi, Jeff, I'm also in the Austin area (well, fugly Cedar Park). Have you reserved your Smart Car?

And it's good to know I can park head-in -- parking in downtown Austin is terrible.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Those extra couple of inches added, now make it improbable to fit head in a parallel spot without "inching up on the curb", now you have a violation in a different category.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Since "parallel" means the car is parallel to the direction of travel in most all traffic ordinances, parking perpendicular to the direction of travel would be a violation on the face of it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts