Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what is the range of Insurance for Smart CAR????

Please tell me
this is very important.

I want to determine if it's more than my old car.
So I can decide to buy it or not.

Give me your opinion please.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just checked with GEICO today and I was quoted around $250 for 6 months. It seemed like they don't insure Smarts unless you are already a customer and possibly been a customer for a number of years. I have 2 vehicles presently insured w/ them and have been a customer for more than 7 years with no claims.

I say this because when I asked if they insure Smarts, the response was, "Yes and no." The person then asked for a model or VIN # and my policy#. I was then put on hold for a few minutes, presumably to check my "record", she then came back and said, "We'll insure it for you." Like they were doing me a favor.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Anyone know what is the range of Insurance for Smart CAR????

Please tell me
this is very important.

I'm paying @ $350/six months from State Farm. I also have 2 cars and my house and other items insured, and this policy covers just about everything. I am hoping for a modest drop due to the latest safety tests' results, but I'm not holding my breath!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Heh. State Farm quoted me over $800/six months to insure a Pure. But, I'm 20 years old, and I haven't had my license for 3 years yet, so, that might explain it. ;)

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
I just checked with GEICO today and I was quoted around $250 for 6 months. It seemed like they don't insure Smarts unless you are already a customer and possibly been a customer for a number of years. I have 2 vehicles presently insured w/ them and have been a customer for more than 7 years with no claims.

I say this because when I asked if they insure Smarts, the response was, "Yes and no." The person then asked for a model or VIN # and my policy#. I was then put on hold for a few minutes, presumably to check my "record", she then came back and said, "We'll insure it for you." Like they were doing me a favor.
Could it be that they checked your VIN to see if it is a 450 or a 451, i.e. a "grey market" vs. a genuine PAG import? And not about other cars or plans with them, or being a return customer?

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts

depends how old your old car is! In two recent quotes, my new smart on one quote (USAA) was slightly higher (but with lower deductibles) vs my 4 year old MINI cooper, however on a second quote (State Farm) the smart was actually a couple dollars cheaper then the MINI.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The official insurance company for smart USA is Liberty Mutual at libertymutual.com/smart
They don't service Florida.

-EDIT-
Hmm, correction, they seem to have started. I used them years ago and had to drop them when I moved to Florida because they did not service this state. No idea when they started. Will call them for a comparison quote.

-2ND EDIT-
WOW, talk about rates. Geico charges me $1919.4/yr for my current cars and Liberty Mutual wants $3,434/yr for the same coverage. Guess I'm staying with Geico.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Geico wants $310/6 months to add the smart to my two current cars with them. Seems high, but it may be Florida. Will probably have to check around.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
$550 for every 6 months for me was the cheapest I found. Its tough being 21. At least I can get good student discount :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Try Progressive

I have insurance with Progressive and it's only $160/6mo, but I chose the $500 deductible with that. Here in South Carolina it's a fault state and I have an excellent driving record and I'm willing to take the chance that the other guy will cause an accident, not me. I drive very conservatively.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Anyone know what is the range of Insurance for Smart CAR?
Well, actual numbers aren't going to be too helpful for you because there are a lot of factors involved. But this might help: my smart is about 1/2 the cost of my F-150 and about 1/3 the cost of my (older) Audi A8. All three cars have identical coverage.

So, I think you'll find that the smart should be about the cheapest car you can insure. If you get a quote that's way out of line (compared to your existing coverage), try a different company. The original quotes I got in February were somewhat higher before the insurance companies had the smart in their systems.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I researched over 9 insurance companies, and Liberty Mutual was by far the best rate for me.

It is important to mention that this differs greatly city by city and state by state. So I hate to say this, but you will just need to call all the ones you are interested in. It took me about 2 hours to call them all for quotes...

I like Liberty Mutual because they are working directly with Smart. It will allow me to hold them a bit more accountable should I ever need to.

Happy shopping!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts