Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the forum. So basically I am debating between the smart car and the iq. I live in Troy, MI so I'm not in a congested city, but I do deal with all 4 seasons. I have a week and a half until I need to buy one so help me out here. I have driven both and I will one more time before i make a decision and here and my pros and cons.

Obviously the number one thing is the engine and trans in the iq. The cvt is 10x better than the smarts robotic gear box, yet I do let off the gas for it to shift and the get back on so it doesn't dive forward. Power is good except I feel like its sluggish from a stop, but accelerates better when going above 10mph and its the complete opposite from the smart. The smart seems to get up and go quicker (besides the gear change) and it takes longer to accelerate while going fast. Could just be me who knows. I felt like the seats in the iq were flat and I could fall right out of them, the smart seemed to hug me a little bit more. The iq seemed to have a ton of empty space and my head kept touching the roof (I'm 6'1) yet I didn't have that problem in the smart. Power steering was nice to have while parking and going slow in the iq than the smart with no power steering, but going past 10 mph I didn't notice a difference. The iq engine is pretty loud while acceleration, but while cruising the smarts engine is pretty noisy like a constant drone.

Oh yeah the other major thing. Smart has a stiff suspension while the scion feels like a sponge. When I went through turns in the iq there was a ton of body roll and it would kick traction control on half the time? I like the smarts stiffer suspension, but is it going to suck on michigan roads? Yeah the iq dips quite a bit, but does it take bumps and potholes better?

Im posting this both on the smart forum and the iq forum to hear from both sides. Im literally 50/50 right now

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Smart Passion has the option to have paddle shifters to give you control over the sequential manual transmisssion, which is really cool if you are the sporting type. The smart is way fun in twisty road territory, especially in the performance option by Brabus. The plastic panels are so much more forgiving than the steel body of the IQ. damage a panel, replace it your self. How many roll bars are in an IQ. How about 4 in a smart; one in each seat back, one over the windshield, one built into the rear of a smart, viewable in the cabrio version. Oh, yeah, IQ available in a cabrio? Not! Glove box in the smart, not in the IQ. Passenger seat back folds forward to enhance cargo carrying abilibty in the smart, not in IQ. Do you really need the third seat in the IQ. forget the fourth seat.
Smart passion has electric power steering if you want it, like the IQ. Smart has heated leather seats if you want them. IQ?
The smart was designed by a guy 6'8" tall. You will fit. So did he.
Smart has S class safety cage hardened steel body engineered to activate the crush zones on an offending vehicle. IQ? Not so much.
Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on the smart. Most of the folks on here love em, with a few exceptions. I don't know about IQ owner's but smart owners are prone to get together for a good time.
smart's are driver's cars. It keeps you interested in what you are doing. IQ is probably more mundane to drive.

·
17,351 Posts
I frequently lurk iQ forums and we get absolutely ZERO respect from them, so I'm not even going to hold back my complaints.

• A smart has a real glovebox, the iQ doesn't.

• A smart is almost guaranteed to get better fuel economy.

• The CVT is the bane of automotive existence. Nothing annoys me more than the CVT.

• A smart can come with power steering, cruise control too.

• You can park two smarts in one space, or park perpendicular in a parallel space. You can't do either in an iQ.

• The smart has proven rock-hard safety in the real world.

• The iQ has an overlooked safety flaw. The rear seats sit an inch from the rear window. Recent rear crash tests have revealed the rear passenger area to be extremely dangerous in a rear end collision.

• A smart is available in convertible, iQ isn't.

• A smart has inexpensive, nearly dent proof panels, iQs use expensive metal.

• A smart is rear engine, rear drive, an iQ is front engine, front drive (boring).

• A smart has REAL luggage space. The iQ has zero.

• A smart can be had in electric. Soon, you won't be able to buy an iQ at all.

• You can have a true surround sound system with touch screen navigation and smartphone integration. In the iQ you get a really big subwoofer.

• You can have a stylish fabric interior or a classy leather interior. In the iQ you get cheap plastics and even cheaper fabrics.

• A smart has more usable space.

• Definitely more fun to drive, probably even easier to modify too.

• The iQ is a commuting appliance, our smarts are like cartoon characters.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
jaharlan0012, join this FaceBook group, and ask a Scion IQ owner about their car. It's a group of modern day micro car owners. 500's, smarts, IQ's, sparks, etc. You won't get a one side option there. Here a modified one, picture below.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/modernmicrocitycars/765200626828707/?notif_t=group_activity

I'm not a big IQ fan. but………..

• IQ uses regular gas, not premium. Pay less at the pump, a little less fuel mpg's
• IQ has a optional navigation, sound system, speakers and subwoofer too. Lots of after market choices too.
• It bigger, and wider inside, more arm room
• Maintenance is going to be cheaper, on the IQ.
• It a Toyota too, not going to break.
• It has more luggage space when the rear seat are folded down like a smart car (rear seat are a joke)
• Good for a quick 3 person work lunch. Can't do that in a smart car. Have to take someone else's car all the time.
• If you live in the snow belt front wheel drive is better. No need for optional snow tires like on the smart.
• More options for wheels and mods then a smart car.
• Storage compartment under the passenger seat is bigger then the smart cars glove box.
• More air bags in the IQ.
• A little larger engine.
• Door close with quality in mind, very solid.
• Wait till next year for the new smart model. Doubt the IQ will be around. who really knows.
• Both city vehicles aren't performance cars in any means.
• I've only driven a IQ once. Not a bad car. Just needs a major restyled.
• 5 year retained value IQ 57% smart 47%

·
Registered
465 Posts
Here are some feedback reviews on the smart car. cars.com Great feedback.
2013*smart*fortwo Consumer Reviews
Nice link. It never ceases to surprise me how different the reviews of actual owners are from so called auto journalists. I quess that's because we actually drive them. As usual there are a couple of reviews from folks who had no reason to buy one in the 1st place. That is the big question. If you already have a preconceived dislike for the Smarts then you should not buy one. Period! Of course that goes for any car and people still do it.

To the OP. I'm 6' and found the IQ much too confning in the headroom dept. That and the dash layout would make me wretch daily if I owned one. My main 2 complaints with the IQ. Otherwise I like the look. FWD, RWD, 4WD I like them all and all can work fine in bad weather.

I leased my '13 Pure in February. 9 Months, 9,000+ miles, 40.7 MPG average, all is well! I love it!:cool::)

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I am happy with my smarts. I would buy a Fiat 500 long before even thinking about an iQ, if I needed room for more than 2 people.

From the test drive in an iQ that I took last year, the iQ does not do anything better than the smart by enough of a margin for me to be interested in it. Lack of headroom and the horrible interior of the iQ did not impress.

I'm averaging 44 mpg in the smart. Best tank 52 mpg.

As far as winter driving goes I greatly prefer the smart's rear engine rear wheel drive, I do not think I could ever go back to fwd.

·
17,351 Posts
It's a group of modern day micro car owners. 500's, smarts, IQ's, sparks, etc. You won't get a one side option there.
Just visited that page.

I like how fair and equal they are. Then again, they're still a little small. :D

We get absolutely NO love from the regular iQ/Scion boards. So hostile it's almost disgusting.

EDIT: In fact, I just visited the iQ board. Someone going by the name of Mr X just joined saying that he owns a smart and likes the iQ too.

The VERY FIRST response is some odd anti-smart rant. What a way to invite someone to the community.

Well Mr. X you have come to the right place. And seeing as how you have made a conscious effort to enlighten yourself we shall do our best to educate you.

First we shall start with the uncommon iQ sightings, as oppose to the Smart having been in the States now for 10 years and heavily pimped early on. Not so much anymore because the reality (as some found out with the mini cooper cost of maintenance throws cute and practical to the dogs) but the Smart having two different tire sizes is, how shall we say over the top.

The
structural integrity of that colorful band running from around the side over the top of the vehicle is clever and something having the backing of Daimler (mercedes) ala those niffy German engineers would come up with.

However, America is not Europe. Meaning the Smart For Two has only limited practicality and that is
you seriously cannot drive that thing on the hwy for even a hop across town. And if you live in areas of America where those hwy's are two lane only and yet reach speeds of 55 you'll feel the difference when an 18 wheeler comes pass you from the other lane.

Now I'm sure you will claim to do it all the time, but the success of any model vehicle is if the over then 20-30 something crowd would buy into and feel comfortable doing it.

I have no fear of driving my iQ anywhere !
(at 57)
And without bleeding me dry in the long run.
(maintenance cost)

Now having said all of that, it does serve a purpose and that is to get people to 'rethink their transportation needs', not so much in terms of alternatives i.e. public transportation but more in terms of the amount of waste, the carbon foot print. And if we talk about fuel economy only a pure electric vehicle is anymore consistent with that economy then an iQ. And will take years if ever to recoup any savings or see any real advantage.

Not to mention the day the world goes strictly electric will be the day of the rude awakening. The discovery that an electric vehicle is 3x as pollutant as a fossil fuel vehicle. The kiddies haven't done their research enough to understand how electricity works and where it needs to come from in that amount to plug in and be Green. (and those pimping the green revolution are cut from the same cloth that sell junk bonds)

Anyway, stick around and indulge yourself in that curiosity we call the iQ ..
http://www.iq-forums.com/forums/new-member-introductions/6009-smart-owner-iq-fan.html

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I wonder? Will there be a new IQ? Will the new smart be a Renault and then, what about service/warranty; MB or Renault? Parts????????
At least we have Renault dealers in Mexico. Any left in the USA?
But then; who really makes the guts for the IQ?
I am looking into an Elf, since I can not qualify for another license, due to lost vision. They are cute, would give me some exercise but also have electric motive power and keep me under 20 MPH.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
iQ will be withdrawn in 2014, never to be seen again.

It was a rude attempt to displace smart from a market that it created, and was an abject failure at that. That fact alone should make the decision for you. There are more flaws to the iQ than the smart, and only a few of them have been listed in this thread. No car is perfect, but of these two, one is far better than the other. The market has spoken.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I ask this in seriousness because I'm not sure. If that a fact? Is the iQ finally (already?) dead in the water?

-----

I would have loved to get one as my Winter car, because having 2 small cars is a 50% improvement over 2 standard cars hogging up precious driveway space.

I'd get an iQ with the intent of Winter-izing it. Maybe there will be deals had when the car gets canceled. :p

Maybe this lends credit to getting another 451 for Winter, or maybe even leasing an Electric 453 to drive year 'round. Either way, I will not put Alec on the road in the Winter. Not up against NY salt.

·
Banned
682 Posts
Well...I'm going to draw a bit of flack...but here we go!

I've owned 3 different Smarts since 2008...so obliviously I'm a loyal Smart owner...

But...and it's a big "BUT"...the current Smart drive-train is poorly engineered!

I love the styling & practicability of the Smart...but the drivability of the vehicle leaves a lot to be desired!

The old school Mitsubishi engine is outdated at best...and it's mated to a "Herky Jerky" transmission!

I've driven the iQ...mechanically its superior to a Smart...but the car is bland...and the styling leaved me cold!

The iQ is a Toyota...and there is a Toyota Dealership on every corner...so the service & warranty experience will be easier to access!

The current 451 series Smart ('08-'14) is soon to be replaced & available as a redesigned 2015 model in mid 2014...I'd wait for the new model...I'll trade-in my 2013 model the moment the new model hits the market...I assume the new model will offer a huge improvement with regards to drivabilty!

·
Banned
682 Posts

It was a rude attempt to displace smart from a market that it created, and was an abject failure at that. That fact alone should make the decision for you. There are more flaws to the iQ than the smart, and only a few of them have been listed in this thread. No car is perfect, but of these two, one is far better than the other. The market has spoken.
The slow-selling Scion/Toyota iQ has sold just 3,365 units in the US through September (a drop of 51 percent year over year).

·
17,351 Posts
The current 451 series Smart ('08-'14) is soon to be replaced & available as a redesigned 2015 model in mid 2014...I'd wait for the new model...I'll trade-in my 2013 model the moment the new model hits the market...I assume the new model will offer a huge improvement with regards to drivabilty!
The new model will not hit US shores until early 2015, this has been confirmed by smart a few times already.

It releases in Europe in mid 2014. :)

·
17,351 Posts
Interest declining? HA! I've not seen a drop of interest in the iQ until the OP came around! :rofl2:

:)

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
The iQ is a Toyota...and there is a Toyota Dealership on every corner...so the service & warranty experience will be easier to access!
This was another reason the iQ was not terribly attractive to me, from my home the nearest Toyota dealer is still 30 minutes away(smart 60 minutes), from my work the smart dealer and the nearest Toyota dealer are about the same distance away.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts