1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Vendor
3,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
115 Posts
1: Does one need to cut the lower valence with the single split dual??? the pic does not show any obvious cutouts.
2: is there a difference in WEIGHT between the dual center and single split units?
3: is there a difference in POWER " " " "

·
Registered
94 Posts
Are they quieter than the doug thory exhaust? I would like to see a video of one installed...dual center tip. Boris can you do this for all of us who are wondering what the noise level in the cabin is going to be like. Thanks.

Tim

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just put a Borla exhaust on my cabrio. It makes the 3 cylinder sound awesome on both up-shift and down-shift. It does seem to make a pretty good difference in power. It is also a well made looking exhaust. The downside is it is very loud inside. I have put fat mat on the firewall, engine bay, and inside the doors. I actually doubled the mat on the firewall. This has helped to quiet it somewhat. My wife is almost happy with it. Another member on here PMOLINK has developed a mat to put in the engine bay to deaden sound. Once I get that I the wife should be happy. From what I understand the split tips go under the valence. I wish they went through, I would have prefered the split tips even though the center tips do look good.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I like the split one that you have. Maybe after a bit I will get one. But as always, I wait to see some test subjects and see if there is any issues from real world testing. But when I do get the cash, more then likely, I will put the split on as I don't want to modify the bumber for center dual.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I just put a Borla exhaust on my cabrio. It makes the 3 cylinder sound awesome on both up-shift and down-shift. It does seem to make a pretty good difference in power. It is also a well made looking exhaust. The downside is it is very loud inside. I have put fat mat on the firewall, engine bay, and inside the doors. I actually doubled the mat on the firewall. This has helped to quiet it somewhat. My wife is almost happy with it. Another member on here PMOLINK has developed a mat to put in the engine bay to deaden sound. Once I get that I the wife should be happy. From what I understand the split tips go under the valence. I wish they went through, I would have prefered the split tips even though the center tips do look good.
Myself, I like that they go under. That way if I do sell in the future, I can put the old one on and there is no damage to the bumper. :)

·
Super Moderator
29,352 Posts
Are they quieter than the doug thory exhaust? I would like to see a video of one installed...dual center tip. Boris can you do this for all of us who are wondering what the noise level in the cabin is going to be like. Thanks.

Tim
Just my .02, but I'm guessing it will be much louder; Borlas (we had a set on the Z06) are about the loudest exhausts out there, but you do get a few extra hp from them. :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
I received my 110 pound roll of sound barrier material from Cascade Audio yesterday. Dropped it off at the fabricator this morning. SmartMadness should have the first batch on sale in about a week.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I received my 110 pound roll of sound barrier material from Cascade Audio yesterday. Dropped it off at the fabricator this morning. SmartMadness should have the first batch on sale in about a week.
How is access to the engine with this installed?

·
Registered
246 Posts
It's held to the carpet with Velcro, so you just leave it attached when you peel back the Smart's carpet and barrier. Its mass actually helps hold the whole thing out of the way as shown below.

The ones Boris ordered for SmartMadness will have black carpet covering rather than the gray upholstery Tex is sitting on.

Here's a pic of the production version:

·
Vendor
3,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's held to the carpet with Velcro, so you just leave it attached when you peel back the Smart's carpet and barrier. Its mass actually helps hold the whole thing out of the way as shown below.

The ones Boris ordered for SmartMadness will have black carpet covering rather than the gray upholstery Tex is sitting on.

Great item! We have one that we have been testing and look forward to having them in stock.

We will have them item up on our site this week along with order info.

·
Vendor
3,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
smart car exhaust systems by Borla

Our shipment of Borla exhausts just came in!

As always we guarantee the lowest price and are also offering free shipping on this item.

·
Vendor
3,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Borla is notorious for great sounding exhaust that has unbearable highway drone. Is it the same on the Smart?
I could not tell you for sure. We just received the units in. We have shipped some out, but have not installed one in our shop yet.

·
Vendor
3,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1: Does one need to cut the lower valence with the single split dual??? the pic does not show any obvious cutouts.
2: is there a difference in WEIGHT between the dual center and single split units?
does one need to cut the valence for the split dual system????????????
When installing the center single exhaust you will need to trim the lower panel. If you are installing the dual split you do not.

We have just posted detailed installation instructions on both of these systems on our site.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am interested in the borla exhaust but would really like to hear it first. It would be nice to also hear some feedback from the people that have it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts