Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am considering a Smart Car as a 3 purpose vehicle. I have an RV and everything I have read so far says that it call successfully be flat towed behind the RV.
The second use would be a pit vehicle for my "Mile Car" racing. Seems it is just slightly larger than the Golf Cart most use for this purpose. And should fit in the enclosed trailer with the other care.
and third would be a commuter for a 7 mile drive to work.
My questions are fairly straight forward. Is there a year model that you should stay away from, is there a mileage that they start to give concerns.
What are the best easiest hook up Tow Bars?
I figure there are enough people in the forum to get the diversity of answers for my questions.
Thank you in advance for taking the time to read and give your opinion.
:nerd:

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
I think the Smart is an excellent commuter car. I have used one since 2008 for a similar trip; 7.5 one way and 15 miles round trip. Since I was only driving it to and from work, I was filling it up about once a month. :)

The towing part of this forum (link given in above post) shows it can be towed with all wheels flat on the ground or on a trailer made for small cars like the Fortwo.

As a 'pit car', I think it has lots of room in the back of it. Some people are amazed how much I can put into the back of mine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the Smart is an excellent commuter car. I have used one since 2008 for a similar trip; 7.5 one way and 15 miles round trip. Since I was only driving it to and from work, I was filling it up about once a month. :)

The towing part of this forum (link given in above post) shows it can be towed with all wheels flat on the ground or on a trailer made for small cars like the Fortwo.

As a 'pit car', I think it has lots of room in the back of it. Some people are amazed how much I can put into the back of mine.
Thank you for the Reply, I have taken the plunge and purchased a 2009 Passion. Black shell and red body, having driven it for a day or two I am quite pleased.
Looking forward to getting the towing set up and venturing out with it behind my Bus.
I am sure it will be a hit in the pits also.
DAS

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
A word of caution about putting too much in the back, the tailgate is not too strong since it is made mostly of plastic, and the engine cover is kind of light duty too. You don't want to start bending things by hauling too much back there! Have fun! you will find that your short commute might get a bit longer because these are so much fun to drive!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts