Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, within the last week or so, I read a thread that had a link to an asian (japan?) smart car parts company that made a rear seat for the 451 smart fortwo. Now I can't remember the URL and can't find the link.

I was basically just 2 padded benches, one on top of the engine cover and one against the rear hatch.

I know it isn't a good idea and probably isn't even legal, but I like to keep track of these things and it's driving me nuts that I can't find it again.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Lessee, by the time it makes it to a US seller, add this and that, + this, carry the 2.....Ah, there it is! $599 plus shipping and handling!

Send it?

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Where would you put your legs. Can't be safe.

Hey, don't laugh about it, I know an owner who did this. Hauled 7 little kids to a restaurant. Two in the passenger seat, and five across the back. Moved the seats up to give them room to put their feet. Very sad, and dangerous...

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
Why don't you just go up to Bass Pro shop, and bolt a couple folding fishing boat seats, to something. I don't know what you would bolt them too. Nothing supporting back there. Still nothing safe about this too. It a 2 seat car.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Is it something like this

Oh wait, that's the IQ

Or how about this

Wait, that is the CRZ that doesn't have a back seat in the states

Perhaps it works like the mini's back seat

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
S-Smart Motor Shoping Mall [SMART±M¥Î«~©öÁʺô] .

I believe this is the link you are looking for. I posted it last week in jest. Japanese people are generaly short, so if you have a short person driving with the seats pulled forwards there is room for short people in the back.

Sorry for the delay, the link was saved on another laptop my daughter has been using.

·
Registered
333 Posts
That what I was thinking. what could you hold it down with?
I was thinking about this two, but a couple of problems come to mind.

1) Seat belts. I know it would only be like a "jump" seat, but some people are really anal about safety.

2) Would the Tridon also hold up to protect what is in the rear of the car? Even in a Cabrio?

3) It would have to be quickly removable so that it would not compromise the utility of the trunk on a daily basis.

4) That particular seat does not have a head rest, so in a rear end collision, it could lead to severe neck and back injuries.

I know that a pick-up is not any more protective but a secure seat in the rear with belts, would be safe to transport people but roll-bars would make it safer. I'd just be curious to know that in a collision that the rear of our car (within the Tridon) is as safe as the front two seats.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
In countries where this happens, do you think seat belts and head rests are a concern? I'm pretty sure the baby in a bucket is photoshopped. But the rest look legit. My Entomologist at work is from Kenya, he has said many times, they pile as many people in a vehicle as possible. If you can get a foothold and and grab something with a hand, your good to go. He said those little Key vans from Japan would hold 10 to 15 people.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
RE: train pic

Hey, stop pushing . . .

I'm NOT pushing, I AM BREATHING . . .

I remember when I visited India, and took a train, they had prices posted for riding IN the train and less for riding ON the train (roof).

·
Registered
333 Posts
In countries where this happens, do you think seat belts and head rests are a concern? I'm pretty sure the baby in a bucket is photoshopped. But the rest look legit. My Entomologist at work is from Kenya, he has said many times, they pile as many people in a vehicle as possible. If you can get a foothold and and grab something with a hand, your good to go. He said those little Key vans from Japan would hold 10 to 15 people.
Its not that I don't agree with you Stretch. Its just that the one I would be carrying does not belong to me. My GF is anal retentive and does not realize that good driving practices far outweigh safety devices.

As far as I am concerned, ABS was designed for people that don't know how to drive. Air bags were designed for people that don't know how to drive or are not paying attention to the road. A seat belt I can kind of understand as it keeps you planted in your seat and thereby helps control the car.

Sure we could argue safety and of course whatever we can fit into a car makes it more expensive, heavier and thereby less fuel efficient. What we are preparing for is "just in case" which seems to becoming a bigger and bigger topic. People are less inclined to take risks. I drove around for three weeks with my kids from Germany (17 yr. old twins) one of them road in the back. A seat belt would have been nice, but some sort of back support would have been nicer (and more comfortable). My current situation does not really allow, since my GF does not like the idea of her 5yr. old riding in the back with or without restraints.

I don't want to turn this into a flaming war for my lack of caring for saftey. I am a Auto Tech by trade, (trained in 4yr. apprenticeship in Germany). I understand the importance, but sometimes I think our society is going a little over board " JUST IN CASE!"

1 - 20 of 31 Posts