Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
In countries where this happens, do you think seat belts and head rests are a concern? I'm pretty sure the baby in a bucket is photoshopped. But the rest look legit. My Entomologist at work is from Kenya, he has said many times, they pile as many people in a vehicle as possible. If you can get a foothold and and grab something with a hand, your good to go. He said those little Key vans from Japan would hold 10 to 15 people.
Its not that I don't agree with you Stretch. Its just that the one I would be carrying does not belong to me. My GF is anal retentive and does not realize that good driving practices far outweigh safety devices.

As far as I am concerned, ABS was designed for people that don't know how to drive. Air bags were designed for people that don't know how to drive or are not paying attention to the road. A seat belt I can kind of understand as it keeps you planted in your seat and thereby helps control the car.

Sure we could argue safety and of course whatever we can fit into a car makes it more expensive, heavier and thereby less fuel efficient. What we are preparing for is "just in case" which seems to becoming a bigger and bigger topic. People are less inclined to take risks. I drove around for three weeks with my kids from Germany (17 yr. old twins) one of them rode in the back. A seat belt would have been nice, but some sort of back support would have been nicer (and more comfortable). My current situation does not really allow, since my GF does not like the idea of her 5yr. old riding in the back with or without restraints.

I don't want to turn this into a flaming war for my lack of caring for saftey. I am a Auto Tech by trade, (trained in 4yr. apprenticeship in Germany). I understand the importance, but sometimes I think our society is going a little over board " JUST IN CASE!"

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I am not arguing with you. I would never put this in my car. It's just we have to realize our views on safety and the rest of the world are sometimes polar opposits. I'd like a happy middle ground. I use to love riding in the back of a pickup truck to go to the beach. I spent my child hood riding in the back of a Plymouth Barracuda with the seat folded down playing with my Matchbox cars while traveling on the autobahn at 100 mph. I wear my seatbelt all the time now, because I think it is a good idea. I don't like to be forced to. Still would like to be able to ride in the back of a P/U if I wanted.

·
Registered
858 Posts
While stationed in southern Italy in 1975-78, saw family of five on a scooter. people will do watever they can get away with. I too loved riding in the back of a pickup but have seen the horror of crammed vehicles full of undocumented alliens wrecked while running from Border Patrol. Gives you something to think about. Also my father was killed in a six cylinder station wagon that flipped twice and rolled three times and him without seat belts back then (1964). I buckle up.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Everybody has stories of the days without seat belts, and riding in the back of whatever car in a what would be considered unsafe by today]s standards.

Everyone except those who didn't survive a crash that by today's standards you would walk away from. They are not here to tell there story

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
I just discovered this subject.
I look at it as sound proofing ! It could be installed with industrial velcro. When you open the rear gate, it comes with it.

I would never let anyone ride there, but maybe it would get us a insurance discount going from a 2 seater to a 4 seater ! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
378 Posts
Everybody has stories of the days without seat belts, and riding in the back of whatever car in a what would be considered unsafe by today]s standards.

Everyone except those who didn't survive a crash that by today's standards you would walk away from. They are not here to tell there story

Isn't that outcome a derivative of natural selection?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Its not that I don't agree with you Stretch. Its just that the one I would be carrying does not belong to me. My GF is anal retentive and does not realize that good driving practices far outweigh safety devices.

As far as I am concerned, ABS was designed for people that don't know how to drive. Air bags were designed for people that don't know how to drive or are not paying attention to the road. A seat belt I can kind of understand as it keeps you planted in your seat and thereby helps control the car.

Sure we could argue safety and of course whatever we can fit into a car makes it more expensive, heavier and thereby less fuel efficient. What we are preparing for is "just in case" which seems to becoming a bigger and bigger topic. People are less inclined to take risks. I drove around for three weeks with my kids from Germany (17 yr. old twins) one of them road in the back. A seat belt would have been nice, but some sort of back support would have been nicer (and more comfortable). My current situation does not really allow, since my GF does not like the idea of her 5yr. old riding in the back with or without restraints.

I don't want to turn this into a flaming war for my lack of caring for saftey. I am a Auto Tech by trade, (trained in 4yr. apprenticeship in Germany). I understand the importance, but sometimes I think our society is going a little over board " JUST IN CASE!"

I agree...These devices compensate for a lack of personal responsibility and/or competency (leading to the mandate of their use buy the nanny state). Also, the actual driving tests should be a lot harder...

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,675 Posts
Might as well make those seats dual purpose as just the thought scares the pooh out of me . . .

Complete with aah shucks handles! :D

·
Registered
378 Posts
I am not arguing with you. I would never put this in my car. It's just we have to realize our views on safety and the rest of the world are sometimes polar opposits. I'd like a happy middle ground. I use to love riding in the back of a pickup truck to go to the beach. I spent my child hood riding in the back of a Plymouth Barracuda with the seat folded down playing with my Matchbox cars while traveling on the autobahn at 100 mph. I wear my seatbelt all the time now, because I think it is a good idea. I don't like to be forced to. Still would like to be able to ride in the back of a P/U if I wanted.
You still can in AZ...:D

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well said brutal. The safety sky is falling thing is kinda out of control. I may be biased since I have raced motorcycles for 22yrs and broken 24 bones (I feel fine now).
Oh and for sure I AM BUILDING THAT BACK SEAT IN THE PIC!
I will add a seat belt too. I agree with brutal on the safety thing. I am a racer and mechanic and have a good sense of safety. I have more than half a million NYC year round miles on a motorcycle.
The safety stuff is mostly (not all) for the lawers. Car makers actually do put dollar amounts on human life. This happened famously with the ford pinto. They knew it was a bomb and calculated total law suit dollars vs cost to just let it go & chose to let it go since that was cheaper than fighting lawsuits.
I don't know if I will post it up on here but if I do it will be for car show and novelty purposes only.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts