Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not knowing a whole lot about how these cars last over the years I decided to look around and came across this article from as it looks about a year ago.

Smart car runs 340,000 miles in 5 years

The iconic car, first registered in 2000, is still running on the original 3-cylinder engine and gearbox. It began its life 5 years ago doing daily trips of almost 200 miles for a German dental laboratory and has since been run by an automotive magazine.
The car

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think this is the link you left out.
Used Smart Cars for sale.
I don't see the car on that link. Do these cars really get that many miles? I kinda thought my Smart wouldn't last very long because the RPMs are so high on the Interstate. Most engines don't last very long if you are running near the maximum capacity of the engine and 75 + or - mph is pretty high up on the RPM scale. But I hope they do last 340k miles! It'd be interesting to know what the speed limit was on that 200 mile stretch. I just feel like Interstate speeds aren't that good for the Smart compared to slower highway speeds.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I don't see the car on that link. Do these cars really get that many miles? I kinda thought my Smart wouldn't last very long because the RPMs are so high on the Interstate. Most engines don't last very long if you are running near the maximum capacity of the engine and 75 + or - mph is pretty high up on the RPM scale. But I hope they do last 340k miles! It'd be interesting to know what the speed limit was on that 200 mile stretch. I just feel like Interstate speeds aren't that good for the Smart compared to slower highway speeds.
Scroll down to Monster Miles...another bubble burst
karl

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
That German lab car was a cdi diesel. The old gasoline engine (599/698 cc) would not be capable of that, I think.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts