Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Smart for two Prime 2017
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we use our smart car (2017 Smart ForTwo) for transporting athletic equipment A LOT and tiny little grass has accumulated everywhere. I've been successful at cleaning the back and both front mats... but can't for life of me get under the seat and crevices. I'm thinking of getting under the seats! Googling around I found an article here on this forum from 2011: Passenger Seat Removal?

I'm curious if anyone finally did this or has done this and can provide insight. I summarized the forum steps here but some things seemed either not necessary or conflicting.

1. Find the right size for torx screws
  2. Turn off car
  3. Make sure engine never turns on till youre done OR disconnect negative of battery (the previous thread made it sound like either is a solution)
  4. unplug the airbag wire (this was only mentioned by 1 person... is it necessary if the car is turned off or battery disconnected?)
  5. Remove Seat
  6. Clean clean clean!!
  7. Put seat back on
  8. Plug the airbag wire
  9. Plug negative of battery back in (if done in the first place)

Any experience or thoughts welcome.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I switched seats on my 09, and took advantage of it to clean the carpet. Definitely disconnect the battery, from everything that I have read. You’re right, it’s about the only way to get to some areas. And the carpet itself is some insane tight weave that traps EVERYTHING. Seems the best way to dislodge stuff is to beat it.

·
Registered
Smart for two Prime 2017
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I switched seats on my 09, and took advantage of it to clean the carpet. Definitely disconnect the battery, from everything that I have read. You’re right, it’s about the only way to get to some areas. And the carpet itself is some insane tight weave that traps EVERYTHING. Seems the best way to dislodge stuff is to beat it.
Thanks for the input. I'll keep that in mind.
On the back carpet and front, i used a simple hard carpet brush like this https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...ive-Design-Plastic-Household_50040145462.html
It actually removed 95% of everything... wasn't too bad all things considered.

My lease is about to end and considering buying it but they are asking for too much... so might just go buy a used one :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
So we use our smart car (2017 Smart ForTwo) for transporting athletic equipment A LOT and tiny little grass has accumulated everywhere. I've been successful at cleaning the back and both front mats... but can't for life of me get under the seat and crevices. I'm thinking of getting under the seats! Googling around I found an article here on this forum from 2011: Passenger Seat Removal?

I'm curious if anyone finally did this or has done this and can provide insight. I summarized the forum steps here but some things seemed either not necessary or conflicting.

1. Find the right size for torx screws
  2. Turn off car
  3. Make sure engine never turns on till youre done OR disconnect negative of battery (the previous thread made it sound like either is a solution)
  4. unplug the airbag wire (this was only mentioned by 1 person... is it necessary if the car is turned off or battery disconnected?)
  5. Remove Seat
  6. Clean clean clean!!
  7. Put seat back on
  8. Plug the airbag wire
  9. Plug negative of battery back in (if done in the first place)
Any experience or thoughts welcome.
If you are in North America, your "2017 Smart Fortwo" should be a 453 and very likely a electric drive (ED/EQ) model.
Isn't the high-voltage battery pack located under the seats? Did you lift up the carpet to take a look after cleaning's done?

·
Registered
Smart for two Prime 2017
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are in North America, your "2017 Smart Fortwo" should be a 453 and very likely a electric drive (ED/EQ) model.
Isn't the high-voltage battery pack located under the seats? Did you lift up the carpet to take a look after cleaning's done?
Hey Khlam - i actually got the last gas model in 2017. Right before electric. I consider myself lucky in some sorts, not in other.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yes, lucky you. Your model year is even rarer than mine. Hope you will keep your car as it is a fun car to have.

·
Registered
Smart for two Prime 2017
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, lucky you. Your model year is even rarer than mine. Hope you will keep your car as it is a fun car to have.
I want to! But take a read here if you want Lease ending - advice welcome. thoughts welcome
Retail was about $19,500-$20,000. I probably paid off about 8500-9000. The remaining price to pay is around $11,500 or so. I'm venturing i'm probably overpaying for this so i am hoping they would negotiate down a little but generally that doesnt happen.

·
Registered
119 Posts
A car's worth is determined by how much one is willing to pay for it. :) In general, it is never an investment and I always treat it as toy more than anything else. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
349 Posts
Back on topic, why not take a blower of some type, (leaf, air compressor, vacuum cleaner exhaust,etc), open the doors, drop the tailgate, and literally blow the sh*t out. then vacuum u and wipe away what you see. Go to a carwash with vacuum cleaners, they can be really really strong, If you're hauling athletic equip, it's just going to happen again.

·
Registered
Smart for two Prime 2017
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Back on topic, why not take a blower of some type, (leaf, air compressor, vacuum cleaner exhaust,etc), open the doors, drop the tailgate, and literally blow the sh*t out. then vacuum u and wipe away what you see. Go to a carwash with vacuum cleaners, they can be really really strong, If you're hauling athletic equip, it's just going to happen again.
I like that idea. Ive been to carwashes plenty but never noticed a pretty strong blower of any type. I think that will take care of loose leaves and turf but not the tiny turf tangled in the carpet. The only reason i say that is because I've used a household vaccum and ran over the tiny artificial grass with no luck. The only thing that worked on carpet in the back and front is actual carpet brush (and even that didnt remove everything). Worth a shot though since i'm taking it there pretty soon.
I wonder how car washes are doing these days with the pandemic... exterior only no interior cleaning is probably doing much better i presume.

·
Registered
603 Posts
The previous owner of my 15 Pure had a dog. I ended up using some packing tape to get must of the hair, and a lot of other crap up/out. Vacuum was worthless on the hair.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
That what I use to do. I use a air noozle tool, at the hose end, of my Porter Cable air compressor. Blow out the car. Under the seats, in crevices. Then use my Craftsman shop vacuum over the seats and carpet. Removing the seats is way too much work. Lint cloths rolls, are prefect for removing doggy hair, from upholstery and carpeting. Their great on removing dust and grime. On the 451cloth dash board.

·
Registered
Smart for two Prime 2017
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That what I use to do. I use a air noozle tool, at the hose end, of my Porter Cable air compressor. Blow out the car. Under the seats, in crevices. Then use my Craftsman shop vacuum over the seats and carpet. Removing the seats is way too much work. Lint cloths rolls, are prefect for removing doggy hair, from upholstery and carpeting. Their great on removing dust and grime. On the 451cloth dash board.

Thanks Smark. Havent thought of Lint rollers... i might give that a shot for the turf. I still have alot of tiny pieces im struggling with. The other stuff would be a challenge for me given the small living space i have and lack of storage for all of that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts