Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a good Mechanic who can do servicing/repair on a smart car.

I'm coming up for my two year work, and Smart/Fairfield wants $430 + tax for what, after reading the service schedule, appears to be a glorified oil change.

If I can find a reputable mechanic who can do the work at a price that doesn't make me throw up, I'd like to do so.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
It's not a big deal, try and get the Filters, Oil, Engine, and Cabin before hand and take them to a local mechanic if you want. You should also be getting your brakes flushed at the same time as part of that service.

Also, go to Walgreens and pick up some batteries for your keys and replace them

·
Super Moderator
11,297 Posts
Oil changes are easily done yourself. You don't even need to raise the car off the ground to reach the oil drain plug and filter. As for the air and cabin filters, they are easy too.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I took my car from Norwalk all the way to Hartford for the 20k service. The price was a lot cheaper and they provided a loaner car for free so that I did not have to wait around. Really great people. Fairfiled outsources the work and in Hartford they do the work in house. The dealer can also address any issues you may have with warranty items since your warranty is about to expire. I mentioned that my radio had a squeal in AUX mode and that I had an issue twice with trouble getting into reverse. They replaced the radio and clutch, no questions asked, and again provided a loaner so that I would not have to hang around while the work was done. I felt that it was well worth the trip to get the treatment I got. Let the fun begin

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:

I've used a mechanic in Cos Cob for work on other cars, and basically trust the guy. I showed him the 20,000 mile service checklist -- he said "looks like it's basically a glorified oil change". Cost $60 using the recommended synthetic oil.

He also checked the fluids, filters, etc. But he always does that for me -- because he wants the business if he finds someone.

My second good experience with this guy in a week (with another car, I'd gotten 3 $400+ estimates for some work on an electric antenna, which he fixed for less than $100).

Actually three good experiences -- the other car needs some other work, which he couldn't do, but he immediately told us this and made a recommendation.

I think the answer is that if you find someone who you trust and who will tell you whether or not he can service the Smart and avoid the dealer altogether.

·
Registered
8 Posts
New CT Owner

Hi my name is Mike and live in Redding CT. Just picked up my 08 Passion on Sat and yesterday did some testing. I got 54 mpg on I-95 doing between 55-62 mph. Yes I filled it both times at the same exact pump. Pretty good. I bought the Smart Car just to have some sort of transportation when not riding my motorcycles.
Anyway hope to meet you all soon.
Best Regards,
Mike

·
Banned
4,883 Posts
Hi my name is Mike and live in Redding CT. Just picked up my 08 Passion on Sat and yesterday did some testing. I got 54 mpg on I-95 doing between 55-62 mph. Yes I filled it both times at the same exact pump. Pretty good. I bought the Smart Car just to have some sort of transportation when not riding my motorcycles.
Anyway hope to meet you all soon.
Best Regards,
Mike
Welcome Mike!!! Whatever your doing, keep doing it!!! 54mpg is probably the highest I've ever seen a smart get... normal mpg varies but is usually somewhere around the mid 40's. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mileage

IT was my first real test. Got on Highway within 1/2 mile of I-95 turnpike and then returned to the same Citgo station. I am very sured that I filled up to the top on both fill ups as I overfilled both. I know don't do this on a regular basis. :) Let's see if in the next few weeks I can repeat over 50 mileage. Have you seen 50 mpg?

·
Banned
4,883 Posts
I saw 50 one time... but I'm over 400lbs so there's a bit of drag :) Also, our fuel in FL is mandated at 10% ethanol blend so we get lower mpg down here....

Oh... and I drive my car VERY HARD!!! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts