Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read some where that smart cars do not have spare tires. Does anyone know if this issue has been addressed in the US models? Would they sell a car with no sort of spare tire system....

If this is the case, it looks like I will be carrying so flat refill!

Then again, the car is probably so light that it can run on foam tires...

just kiddin just kiddin

·
Registered
465 Posts
I read some where that smart cars do not have spare tires. Does anyone know if this issue has been addressed in the US models? Would they sell a car with no sort of spare tire system....

If this is the case, it looks like I will be carrying so flat refill!

Then again, the car is probably so light that it can run on foam tires...

just kiddin just kiddin
My old MINI S came standard with runflat tires and no spare. Many ditched the RF tires for performance considerations and adopted a can of tire seal and a cell phone for the spare.

I haven't looked at the spare/runflat situation for the Smart, but it wouldn't be worrisome for me to run without a spare. This will be an in-town car for me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like a lot of people here are coming from driving minis. Do you think a majority of interested buyers of the smart are also shopping the mini as an option...

On this note... I love the recent Mini commercials boasting 4o mpg to compete with the smart although they have to throw in the end that 40 mpg is highway!

·
Registered
465 Posts
My MINI was an S with the Works package.It was fairly quick and great on the track. My current car is an Audi TT - just a tad faster than my MINI, and a lot more comfortable. The Cooper would be in the same price point as the Smart, but the S is just out the group altogether.

I am looking at the the Smart because I forsee gas escalaing in price .50/year until we're on par with Europe. I only drive 3 miles to work, and can't justify replacing my TT with the Smart for my commute, but I want one of the cars in the garage to be something that we can drive around town without spending a fortune...we just bought a new Lexus for trips and luxury use.

By the way, my MINI got betwen 15-19mpg in town depending on the weight of my right foot...but it did get really great mileage on the highway - around 30+ at a good clip, (80-90mph).

I know performance is going to be sacrificed with the Smart, but cars such as this are the future...I just wish it (the car) had come a long time ago.

And after my long-winded message I'll add that there have been probably 10 of our 100 MINI club members that have plunked down a deposit, (that I'm aware of). Desire for the newest thing on the road? Gas savings? Smile factor? Who knows...

·
Registered
280 Posts
By the way, my MINI got betwen 15-19mpg in town depending on the weight of my right foot...but it did get really great mileage on the highway - around 30+ at a good clip, (80-90mph).
Probably that DS paint was slowing you down! :D :D

tm

·
Registered
8 Posts
The car does not come with a spare tire but includes a flat kit in the well under the passenger's feet. What's most concerning about the current Smart is that the front and rear wheel are different sizes and when I check tire ads in my Sunday paper I never see either size mentioned.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds like a lot of people here are coming from driving minis. Do you think a majority of interested buyers of the smart are also shopping the mini as an option...
QUOTE]

personally, for me it's this or the Yaris, and I much prefer the smart.

I told my wife "I deserve it & it's about time that i get a car that suits my personality. ..plus it's super-cheap" & that was gold :D i still have about 11 more months til my current car is paid, so hopefully these things will be readily available with little/no markup

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
(Non)- Spare Tire

The smart dealer in Vancouver, BC showed me the flat tire repair kit that comes with the Canadian cdi smart. It is a liquid injectible that supposedly gives 50 miles of use until the tire is fixed. I suppose that the tire then ought to be dismounted and the goo cleaned out.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Replacement Tire Availability

"The Tire Rack" (tirerack.com) has both front and rear sizes in stock (all-season Continental ContiEcoContact EP).

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Spare Tire (Tyre)

A UK website notes that in view of the smart having two different tire sizes, if a spare were to be carried (and there is an aftermarket tire rack available) it should be a front. A front will temporarily fit on the rear, but not vice-versa.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
fishrdnc finally answered the question and wins the prize. Just buy an extra wheel and tire, get an aftermarket rack or just sit it in the back with a groovy tire cover that you, your wife, granny or Mfger can supply. :D

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Tires

Fishrdnc.

Do you remember where you saw that after market tire rack ?

I wonder what our Smarts would look like with an old, continental kit on the rear ? Sure would be handy !

I guess I just can't see myself standing like a dummy on the side of the road waiting for someone to come and change my tire. :eek:

In a life time of driving most of my flats have been blow outs that no kind of goop in a can is going to fix.

a2jack.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Thanks Fishrdnc. That looks like a good Smart parts site.

But I note the tail gate's limited travel down with the tire in place. I guess I'll hold out for a tip down design.

Afew years back, I purchased such a device from JC Whitney that I used on my Toyota Mini motor home. It also doubled as a bike rack. It mounted on the
trailer hitch reciever. But that set up on a Smart would move a lot of weight out on the arm in the rear. Great for wheelies though :D

A2jack.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Personally, I don't care for the rack. It makes the car look like an SUV. I'll just hold my spare in my lap. j/k
I agree with a2jack it's going to be that one time relying on goop when you get a major blow out from the side, on a cold winter's night, 100 miles from nowhere, no water, a UFO and bigfoot show up and you've got a meeting in the morning. LMAO

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
No Spare

I am not wrapped around the axle about a carrying a spare. I have had two flats in the past eleven years that I recall, and never a blowout, and likely a “goo-kit” would have temporarily sufficed. I can’t specifically think of another instance beyond those two but maybe there were. Good tires are really good these days; most U.S. roads are much better than Europe’s; and I don’t think my chances are all that bad. The odds are with me. But if it should happen, and if goo isn’t enough, I shall fear no evil as our use of the vehicle will be well within 100 miles of the supporting dealer, and AAA Plus will come and pick the buggah up and transport it there-to if necessary. But maybe not necessary – “The Tire Rack” keeps the smart’s OEM Continental tires in stock and can drop-ship them to any service area in one business day if need be. This theory presumes a second vehicle is available in the interim.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I see your point. The two times I had a flat in the last 9 years were right here in front of my home. That also brings up another point whether Mercedes or whomever will give you "Roadside" for 3 yrs or something. Remains to be seen. I use AAA now with a 100 mi. radius towing/assistance for about $89 a year...for my old '98 Neon R/T

1 - 20 of 51 Posts