Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For your info... You can get your Smart set up for towing behind your Moho. at Camping world for 1695.00..Beats anyone else's cost for installation .. The Smart car is the most difficult of all mini cars to put a base plate on for the tow bar because they have to take off the whole front of the car including outside mirrors. Its a real pita to do yourself and unless your smart enough to do this dont even try it. Its a real bear.. That price includes all parts and wiring.. Out the door...:) Be sure and put bungee cords at the 3 and 9 oclock position on the steering wheel and fasten them under the drivers seat in order to prevent the front wheels from wobbling after making a turn.. I have a 2014 Smart and love it and i"m 79 years old.
Happy motoring everyone...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Smart Car as a toad

What kind of motorhome are you pulling the Smart with and what have you decided about brakes?
1996 Damon Intruder 33 ft.. Because the Smart car weighs only 1830 lbs no special brakes are required. You'll not even know its back there. States requiring brakes is only if the towed vehicle is over 3000 lbs. (thats what I,ve been told)I hope this is the case because manual says if you use a supplement braking system you could damage the esp system. So unless someone says otherwise thats the way Iam going..Because a supplement braking system costs around 1200.00.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have not purchased a Smart yet but think it is the best thing to pull with my Sprinter 3500. I was going to avoid the brake thing as well due to the light weight of the Smart. Would be very interested in your opinion after you have towed yours for a few thousand miles. Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have not purchased a Smart yet but think it is the best thing to pull with my Sprinter 3500. I was going to avoid the brake thing as well due to the light weight of the Smart. Would be very interested in your opinion after you have towed yours for a few thousand miles. Thanks.
Wont be pulling mine till about June but will let you know after we come back:wink:
Don

1 - 7 of 7 Posts