Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
this is a smart-turbocharger basic kit with upgrades.

this turbo can be installed with only the turbo or any of the steps included, the turbo itself is set for aprox 4-6 lbs with the internal waste gate for control. the next step might be to add the blow off valve to keep spool pressure. or maybe add the split second enricher to fatten the fuel mixture to prevent a lean burn. if your worried about your spark plugs fouling, install the brisk silver tip spark plugs, thats what their for. if youd like more lbs of boost, install the blitz controller and set it up in steps that meet your pereformance needs. if you concerned about preignition or high intake air temps install the snow injection system which lowers the iat temp instantly. and thru all this you can change exhaust systems as your performance desires.

this kit is definetly a multistage system.

http://www.smart-turbochargers.com

it has less than 1000 miles.
this is actually made for the smart 451, not just a generic kit with 4000 pieces and wild hp claims.

this kit utilizes a Garrett GT1241 turbocharger, which is the same unit used by Mitsubishi to turbocharge their 3B20 engine. This is the same engine that Mitsubishi supplies to smart in normally aspirated form for use in the 451 chassis. the 1241 is sized for all rpm improvement, not just at the top end as the larger turbos do, theres no spool up time because its already boosting at 1500 rpm. its not necessary to have to wind it up tight to make a power improvement.
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/products/turbochargers.html

This kit retains all of the stock pollution controls and devices including the catalytic converter. However, it may be necessary to remove the Turbo from the car in order to pass California’s visual inspection.

it can use the turbosmart 20mm blow off valve which relieves enough pressure yet still retaining enough to eliminate spool up time.
http://www.turbosmartonline.com/index.php?id=44

There are no modifications made to the stock ECU. very easy to go back to stock.

and if using the blitz controller its able to actually have 4 stages of boost. the first is the internal wastegate preset pressure (4-6lbs) in the off mode and the other 3 can be 7, 9 or 12 lbs or? of boost. wherever you set it. 9 lbs ~ 115 hp
http://www.blitz-uk.co.uk/ProductItem-2280.aspx

this system can also use the snow boost system to cool the intake charge and prevent detonation.

included are the 60 and 100 jets.
this system DOES NOT USE a innercooler, more fans, or a remote mounted aftercooler with another fan, pump, hoses, fittings etc... theres plenty of cooling and protection from the snow boost.
http://www.snowperformance.net/product.php?pk=7

it also has the snow upgrade solenoid to prevent accidental gravity feed.
http://www.snowperformance.net/product.php?pk=20

this is the split second enricher which richens the fuel charge when in boost conditions preventing a lean burn.
http://www.splitsec.com/products/Enricher.htm

also included are the brisk silver tip colder sparks
http://www.briskusa.com/products.htm#Silver

this kit comes with 3 different muffler systems,
The stock muffler has enough flow to support the hp it produces with an acceptable level of back-pressure.
the doug thorley system gives a added performance level with a little more noise.
the 2.5 " magnaflow system, as shown in pic is the best bang for the buck, 16 gauge stainless, excellent power increase with minimal noise increase.

ThisTurbo is mounted above the engine oil level and drains into the oil pan above the engine oil level. This is the only manufacturer approved method of gravity-feed oil cooling. Any other method (like tapping into the oil drain plug below oil level) will shorten the life of the engine and cause oil coking.

also included is a catch can. its a coarse filter which helps to accumlate oil vapor droplets, under high boost. which otherwise would be sucked directly into the intake. and that could be harmful and definetly not good
not needed for normally asspriated but benificial for boosted motors.

if your the higher horsepower type person using the included snow boost system, also included is a new 5 gallon container with 1 gal of good clean methanol to be mixed 50/50 for use. and 2 gallons of distilled water, good for about 4 tanks of gas, mixed. this would be for cooling the intake air temp and preventing preignition.

also included to this package a brand new smartcarperformance motor mount, this prevent excessive movement in the engine/transmission mounts wasting torque and time when shifting. SmartCar Performance - custom parts and and accessories for your smart car

local pickup preferred to save on shipping cost, due to size and weight shipping will definetly be extra

installation is easy for a mechanic and instructions can be found at http://www.smart-turbochargers.com/Manual

and also included is a set of wheel bolt covers as seen here http://style-upboltcovers.com . these will add a bit of smartness as you accellerate away.

the starting price on ebay is only $850 with a low reserve.
thanks for looking

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130442671550&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT

·
Banned
15 Posts
I have seen this kit in person both on the car and on the bench... all the parts are of the utmost quality. No expense was spared. Who ever picks this up will definitely be pleased. Just my $.02

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Something doesn't add up here guys ! White Lightening says all the parts are utmost quality and Donny says Jack knows his ---- but Donny, you went over to Tim's to dyno your car and it made less horsepower than a stocker. As you said on Brett's new turbo thread," it was way to lean". So how can this kit be the berries when you had to go by Split Second and purchase an enrichment box to rectify the lean condition?
I'm not a rocket scientist here but seems to me the kit is not up to par.
Which brings me to another question, how did you know the enrichment or A/F ratios were correct after installing the split second box. Did you go back for another dyno session or did it just feel better? :D

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
have you heard of a air fuel ratio meter? the split second fuel enhancer brought it to 13.6-14.2.
and dont worry, the kit works great and definetly fast enough to get me into trouble. i appreciate you being concerned and all.
cisco took it for DRIVE in it and was definetly overly impressed, but whos he? the 1 that berated it with his video in the begining.
jacks kit is still working fine with about 37,000 miles and he does know his ----. hes even done something with the trans and says it works better. i started with his basic kit and went on my own. that was my r&d.
end result was a excellent running turbo motor for a reasonable cost, while still keeping the smog cat converter, unlike other kits.
and ill bite the bullet and sell it, got me in trouble as i said.

·
Banned
15 Posts
Scangauge displays afr, and every dyno, same manufacturer or different, will display different numbers every time, everyone knows that. Oh and the fact that this kit includes the split second box IS what makes this kit "the berries" I've driven the car in almost every stage of donnys build and I have felt a difference every time. Dyno numbers are good, but are you gonna sit there and tell me a car makes less power than stock when you can absolutely feel the difference in power. Stop bashing on people yass, if your not interested, shut your friggen mouth. Im done, for now.

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
..the real test..screw dynos..
17.4 @79.5mph...and I lost that day...

jetuel...total boost...we don't race dynos...

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Donny, the question still remains ,did Jack sell you a kit that was unable to cover itself under all boost conditions? You said you added fuel enrichment so what's it gonna be?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
maybe your new at this. the more boost the more fuel is needed.
jacks basic kit works fine, i stepped out of that window and moved on, down at first but in the end, it worked great.
whats not to understand or are you just trying to stir the pot again?
need this get to the admin or mod area, again?

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
maybe your new at this. the more boost the more fuel is needed.
jacks basic kit works fine, i stepped out of that window and moved on, down at first but in the end, it worked great.
whats not to understand or are you just trying to stir the pot again?
need this get to the admin or mod area again?
Long time listener, first time caller ::D

That's a novel idea why didn't Jack warn you about that when you bought the boost controller?
Oh I forgot, Jack's original claims were that the stock injectors were more than enough to handle the big boost.
Guess that idea went south! :eek:

....Donny, it is a riot to talk to you :)

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
no your wrong again, i bought the blitz boost controller from a young lad on craigs list, running his mail order business in his parents garage in anheim.

and maybe you should refresh yourself about whos running what injectors.

and you are right about something, with 37,000 miles his kit has gone south, north, east and west. and still rolling.

i wouldnt call it a riot when i have to reply with you.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
no your wrong again, i bought the boost controller from a young lad on craigs list, running his mail order business in his parents garage in anheim.

and maybe you should refresh yourself about whos running what injectors.

i wouldnt call it a riot when i have to reply with you.
You lost me on the injector statement? but anyway it's been fun ,gotta run. Good luck sellin' your :p

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ill bet your right, no sales ediquitte at all.

my product but NOT my sales pitch.
thats called the freedom of speech, i have no control what others say.

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
..so Donny...do you have a track slip or a dyno run on this puppy?...who knows...maybe I might talk the bride into one for her car:D

jetfuel...got me own...

·
Registered
651 Posts
"ThisTurbo is mounted above the engine oil level and drains into the oil pan above the engine oil level. This is the only manufacturer approved method of gravity-feed oil cooling. Any other method (like tapping into the oil drain plug below oil level) will shorten the life of the engine and cause oil coking"

Do you have any proof of this statement or is pure conjecture.Is it based on recommendations of the turbo manufacturer? Have they shared proof of this with you so you can state this as an absloute?If you have no proof please correct your wording and good luck with your sale.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Don, here is something else you might want to rethink and restate. When using an enrichment device like you have for supplying additional fuel under boosted conditions you would want A/F ratios around 12.5/1 during boost. Ratios around 14 like you mentioned won't cut it under boost.

Barney....what is an air fuel meter Don ? I'm kinda' new here :D

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Paul, you looked at my thread and didn't even respond to the questions in the OP :mad:

I kid Paul, I kid :p Best of luck to you Don and I hope a buyer rolls around and can talk about it on SCOA :D

1 - 20 of 55 Posts