Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
For sale pm for details
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For sale td04 turbo kit for sale I am ready to put my mustang race car back together again so must go.

List of components

- td04 turbo (no shaft play but would recommend a new seal in it)
- greddy type s blow off valve
- 280cc injectors With spacers and bolts
- tial 38mm external wastegate with 10lb spring
- sfr intercooler with derale fan attached
- exhaust
- all piping
- all vacuum lines
- return and feed oil lines with all fittings attached
- Aem fuel/ ignition controller piggy back (you will have to call Aem for the harness I had to loop mine harness can be had for 40 bucks)
- complete bolt on kit will bolt to factory header
- put down 120hp really good top end
-Aem air/fuel ratio gauge Already has tune programmed in it

I will post pics when I can make me an offer everything here new including tune was $4200

Intercooler

Gauges only one would be the air fuel and pod not provided

Tial wastegate 10lb spring wide open!!!!!!!!!

pipe bolted to header to bolt turbo

Turbo and some piping

wastegate and greddy blow off vale whoosh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

turbo

turbo after just shy of 40000 miles no shaft play at all very tight would recommend a new turbo seal

the kit minus the injectors and gauge not in picture

aem piggy back

you are getting top of the line parts for half price!!!!!!!!!! someone is going to have alot of fun

·
Registered
195 Posts
How hard is it to install? Any negative impacts on engine life? Can you really feel a difference in torque, speed, what????? Im just curious.

·
For sale pm for details
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
How hard is it to install? Any negative impacts on engine life? Can you really feel a difference in torque, speed, what????? Im just curious.
Very easy to install. I had it on my motor from 14000 miles to 53000 miles. Car runs great still. Yes you can really feel a difference in power when you get on the interstate and want to pass you will have no problem at all it pulls very good. Plus it sounds great it has an open external wastegate which none of the other companies offer when it opens up it sounds really good. I am going to miss it but the mustang that has been sitting in the garage for years is finally calling my name and it's time to put here back together! The only thing you would need to have done by a tuner is the Aem wiring I was charged 600 for wiring and tune. However the tune is programmed in it so it would just need to be wired in!

·
17,390 Posts
NO, Neon!
My budget is no higher than $1,000 anyway :wink:

Bosgarage - You'll be compressing an already high compression engine. And you'll be adding some fun heat in there too. If its well tuned and cooled you should be just fine...unless you run max boost all the time or something...

As for install, it varies by person.
As for power? You'll almost be doubling your power. You'll be pulling enough power to make your passengers scream! :D

:) This kit comes with everything you'll need for a good, reliable system! :)

·
Registered
965 Posts
I followed that turbo from Tampa 2 Kansas City and back, and yes it makes a difference. Very fast on Hiway, but no advantage in 1/8 th mile race.

Scroll too the 8:00 point on the counter and watch me beat him.

Sorry, had to do it.

Welcome home.

·
For sale pm for details
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I followed that turbo from Tampa 2 Kansas City and back, and yes it makes a difference. Very fast on Hiway, but no advantage in 1/8 th mile race.

Scroll too the 8:00 point on the counter and watch me beat him.

3rd Annual smart fortwo Anniversary, Day 2 (shorter) - YouTube

Sorry, had to do it.

Welcome home.

Krusty you got me there!!! It's ok that was back when it was never tuned it was A dog when it was untuned just a turbo kit on a motor with way to much fuel going to it. It was tuned shortly after the first nationals run thats when it went to 120hp, And like Krusty said very fast on Hiway runs a lot better now after it was tuned

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
...even without a tune it was a fun ride around KC.... Very fast...very loud...

Jetfuel...rode in it and like it...

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
...a blast was tearing down the interstate right after Bill got his Brabus suspension installed and we headed back to the show...people were just in awe of these little cars not slowing down for anybody....

jetfuel...let the good times roll...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Krusty, Turbo can make a difference in 1/8th mile. Remember Orlando, 3 years ago. My turbo at 7 psi was a whole .2 seconds faster at 62mph vs. non-turbo's 57 mph. For the extra $5 grand ... oh ... OK, maybe in the 1/8 mile its not so impressive. But, the cool factor is way up there when people see that intercooler on the back ... I am constantly seeing guys in pick-up trucks pulling up behind me and taking pics with their phones. They usually have a big smile on their face.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Gas Mileage?

How fast does it gobble our $4/gal go juice?

Any idea on eco mode, vs "I can get rid of my Contis in one tank" mode?

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
318 Posts
If you end up parting out the kit, I'm interested in the intercooler.

I've looked into the AEM system and from what I gathered the factory ECU is consistently fighting the AEM controller to keep a 14.7 A/F ratio when turbos like 11-12 A/F ratio. This causing the fuel trims to constantly change... Also, with the fuel trims jumping around so much causes the car to go into open loop basically detuning the car until you shut it off and turn back on.

Did you do any dyno tunes with A/F ratios?
I'm interested in your input.

You can PM me if you'd like... Not trying to thread jack.

Good deal on a pre-fabbed kit... 120hp is damn good for these little cars.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts