Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok first off I had the alternator and battery checked, both work fine. Putting the key in 1st position I hear a high pitched whine from the back which I think is the pedal actuator as it makes the same sound again when I press the gas and a low hum from the right seat which is the fuel pump which should still work as I've replaced it in December.

The last time I drove it it was acting weird. The oil light came on and off intermittently throughout my last day with it and driving it in manual mode first gear was very sluggish to accelerate. I ignored the oil light going on and off as a few days before the alternator belt was falling apart while driving and making the dash flash like a Christmas tree (I replaced the belt). I noted that the cabin was warmer than usual with a warm breeze coming from behind the seats with the windows open (AC had just stopped working weeks before too).

The next day I let my gf take it for an interview where it just died on her as she exited the highway nothing out of the ordinary it just wouldn't accelerate as she pressed the pedal (according to her) and shutdown as she pulled into a lot. Luckily she was interviewing for a place where they have tow trucks and had picked her and the car up. They give her a quick diagnosis that the engine is seized and some other thing I can't remember and that the car is junk. They offered her to trade MY car for another car they were trying to sell her valuing mine at $400 even though it's a "junk" trade? It didn't make sense to me and I said no. Two days later I get my car back and start checking everything, to my surprise it's completely out of coolant, I went over a year without having to fill it and for all of it to be gone? Last time I checked it was mid April after hitting a coyote that cause a momentary leak from the radiator, in two months it evaporated or leaked? I've since refilled it and checked for leaks while it's sat in my garage since June 27th and nothing it's still in the car...?

I'm going to try a new crankshaft position sensor and if that's not the case I'm parting it out

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just remembered her saying the mechanics at her job saying something about the valves but I didn't believe it because their look over of the car was very quick and they just looked at it from the engine compartment

Here are the OBD codes I got off it

============1==============
P0562
Raw code: 0562
ECU: Transmission control unit
Status: Validated and stored in non volatile memory, Validated fault has been present during this drive cycle
OBDII: System voltage - low
============2==============
P0457
Raw code: 0457
ECU: Engine control unit
Status: Validated and stored in non volatile memory, Validated fault present at time of request
OBDII: Evaporative emission (EVAP) system - leak detected (filler cap loose/off)
============3==============
P0497
Raw code: 0497
Status: Validated and stored in non volatile memory, Validated fault present at time of request, Validated fault has been present during this drive cycle
OBDII: Evaporative emission (EVAP) system - low purge flow
============4==============
P0117
Raw code: 0117
Status: Validated and stored in non volatile memory, Validated fault has been present during this drive cycle
OBDII: Engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor - low input
============5==============
P0116
Raw code: 0116
Status: Validated and stored in non volatile memory, Validated fault present at time of request, Validated fault has been present during this drive cycle
OBDII: Engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor - range/performance problem
============6==============
P0116
Raw code: 0116
OBDII: Engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor - range/performance problem
============7==============
P0117
Raw code: 0117
OBDII: Engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor - low input
============8==============