Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my smart car to a dealer near where I live to trade for a handicapped vehicle. it is there I was offered $8,000.00 in trade for the used handicap outfitted Van.

My SMART Car is a 2013 passion, very well equipped and 4,054 miles. The SMART is showroom new condition. It doesn't seem right that a one year old, low mileage vehicle, in great condition of any type should loose 50% of it's value in one year. What is going on? Your thoughts...

BTW I'm keeping my smart for a while.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
We know dealers make the most profit on used cars. They love to buy low and sell high. While it may be an insult, it isn't a surprise.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
The dealer, always give you a lower trade in value. Then they mark them up for some profit.
You have trade in value
Owners selling price
Dealers price

When you drive them off the lot, you loose $3-4K.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Kelly Blue Book (kbb.com) suggests your car's trad in value to be between $8001 and $9088...with a suggestion of $8401.

Unfortunately, that is the real world of trading in newer cars...especially one as unique as the smart.

·
Registered
17 Posts
$11,150.00 clean trade according to NADA in Nebraska. Most dealers & banks use NADA, just go to their website and fill in the blanks & give them your zip code.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Forget all the book prices other than loan value. The rest is all BS.

The easiest and most accurate way to determine true market value is simply to watch the sold column on E-Bay. Few informed buyers will pay much more.

A2Jack.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Edmunds.com, will give you true book value, on the vehicle in your area. It's updated consistently. Drop in you zip code. You can walk in to any Barnes and Noble. Look at a Black book, for prices. Not as current, as what's on line.

Looks also, at Cars.com. Real retail prices, across the country.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
The "true book value" in THE BOOK is only a number on a piece of paper or computer.

The gap between trade-in and dealer resale will be a couple thousand dollars some of which will be spent reconditioning your vehicle.

Your trade-in value can be tempered by any number of things beyond just years and mileage and condition . . .

Desirability - color/options, niche?

Trade-in dealer marquee - smart, Chevy or Porsche, do they want a smart on their lot?

Will it compliment their pre-owned inventory or become dead stock and auctioned?

Time of the year - cabrios don't sell well in winter.
You should never purchase a vehicle that doesn't meet your long term wants and needs as flipping it a year later can be very painful when you find yourself upside down. Just ask some of the early 2008 smart adopters . . .

And if before the purchase the little Mrs. says no, RUN LIKE THE WIND . . .

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Timing is everything...

I wasn't in and using a wheel chair when I purchased my Smart a year ago. So I had not purchased a Smart with the idea of using it to carry my scooter.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
My SMART Car is a 2013 passion, very well equipped and 4,054 miles. The SMART is showroom new condition. It doesn't seem right that a one year old, low mileage vehicle, in great condition of any type should loose 50% of it's value in one year. What is going on? Your thoughts...
The old guy that owned the VW dealer where I used to work once told me there is only one way to determine what any given car is worth. It is worth what somebody will pay for it by sundown.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts