Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a relative newbie to this forum. I noticed that motorcycles are frequently mentioned in the posts on this forum. I've been riding motorcycles for many years. I find many similarities between Smart cars and motorcycles. Both are small and extremely maneuverable. Both are ignored or targeted by our fellow drivers. A three cylinder dual overhead cam high compression, four valves per cylinder engine develops adequate horsepower for either vehicle. The transmission and engine work together with a similar shifting pattern, especially when driving the Smart in manual mode. Service and maintenance procedures are similar, though I don't know any dedicated motorcycle rider who would ride 10000 miles between oil changes. Most of us are driving around without a spare tire. There are many other similarities but I think you get the point.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
In past encounters I have found Bike riders are very interested in our smarts...
I told one biker at OTD a few years back when he asked "whats the best thing about the smart?' and I told him that "I won't get wet when riding in the rain and I when I come to a stop I don't have to put my feet down to prevent falling over." He gave me a big hand shake and said "enjoy the ride"...

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've been riding motorcycles for many years. I find many similarities between Smart cars and motorcycles. Both are small and extremely maneuverable. Both are ignored or targeted by our fellow drivers.
No kidding about being ignored by fellow drivers, I got broadsided on my MC pulling into the parking lot where I worked. I was lucky in that I had a crash bar installed so instead of pinning my ankle/leg against the motor it took the brunt of the impact which put the bike on it's side and me on my butt with a bruised elbow.

One nice thing about the smart, I don't need to wear leathers and a helmet on a hot day! Though it isn't quite the same (wind in your hair, bugs in your teeth) type of experience. I ride with an open face helmet though as I got older a windscreen became standard equipment.

Wound up with a smart cabriolet because I weighed the cost of a divorce vs the cost of a Night Train.... (wife said, do whatever you want which = you darn well better not)....

·
Registered
271 Posts
Another similarity between my motorcycles and my smart car is that my smart now has only the side mirrors. I had to remove the windshield mounted rear view mirror because it blocked my view forward. I don't miss it a bit! My other rides are a Harley Heritage Softail and a Kawasaki Ninja.

PS I change my smart fortwo oil every 5K miles, and use a longer filter.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You must be 7 feet tall! I'm 6'-1" and never thought the mirror obstructed my view. Still I find it useless because the seats block the rear view. I somewhat solved this problem with a plastic Fresnel lens on the back hatch glass. Thanks for your input... I know I'm not alone. Ride safe...

·
Registered
861 Posts
you are correct about smart cars almost as much fun as a bike. i owned 28 bikes in 53 years of riding. was never in an accident in all those years but always worried about it now i feel safe with a literal cage around me and still having fun!

·
Registered
32 Posts
The only car that I have ever driven that even comes close to a motorcycle.
I had a 1961 Austin-Healey Sprite. Both ridiculously fun.

In 2012 I sold my Suzuki Savage 650 for a Vespa 150 -- I no longer wanted to swing a leg over a saddle.
About 9 months ago I dropped the Vespa, a bit of road rash, no big deal. 2 weeks later I drop the scoot again, this time breaking shoulder and 4 ribs. Not wanting the "third time charm" I got the '13 Cabrio. Good air, and don't need a damn helmet!

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
you are correct about smart cars almost as much fun as a bike. i owned 28 bikes in 53 years of riding. was never in an accident in all those years but always worried about it now i feel safe with a literal cage around me and still having fun!
Only crashed once on my Goldwing, the state changed an exit ramp that used to be a long slope, and changed it to a 90 degree turn in the middle of it covered with sand. I went over the handlebars, bike went to the left, I went straight. sounded like a bowling ball with my head bouncing off the road at 50 mph ended up with 3 broken ribs, 2 breaks in my collarbone. hardly any road rash. Thankfully I was wearing the brain bucket.

2 years later I sold the bike because I bought my smart. No more wet gear when I got home after an unexpected rain . Leather takes forever to dry out

·
Registered
935 Posts
I had a 1961 Austin-Healey Sprite. Both ridiculously fun.

In 2012 I sold my Suzuki Savage 650 for a Vespa 150 -- I no longer wanted to swing a leg over a saddle.
About 9 months ago I dropped the Vespa, a bit of road rash, no big deal. 2 weeks later I drop the scoot again, this time breaking shoulder and 4 ribs. Not wanting the "third time charm" I got the '13 Cabrio. Good air, and don't need a damn helmet!

I had mini bikes, go carts and mopeds as a kid, then in 2011 I bought a Honda shadow sold, 2012 1st 08 Smart cabriolet sold, V-Star sold, kymco 500 exciting sold, Burgman 650 sold and now 09 Smart cabriolet. I think I'm over motorcycles, but I did keep my helmets and one motorcycle jacket. Just in case.

·
Registered
861 Posts
because i have had so many bikes and been riding for over half a century my friends you to tease me and say i didn't have blood in my veins just itsy bitsy motorcycles running around

i still love them and would love to have one but healing up at 70 would be real tough. i used to buy them and spen a year or more restoring them from the ground up and ride them for 3 or 4 years then start all over again.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I love my smart, but there's no way it could ever replace my Indian motorcycle. Almost as fun, but not quite.
Besides, my son is 16 and he gets the smart now, unless I steal it for a day.... he's never touching my Indian though.

·
Registered
935 Posts
It isn't that we don't like riding. For some it is health, practicality for instance, my wife would not ride on the back of any motorcycle or scooter, nor did she have any interest in riding her own motorcycle and I'm glad I would not want the maintaince, insurance, tags, gas, and payments of two motorcycles.
I do believe, that when the time come that we old folks can no longer ride a two wheeled 600 lbs or more motorcycle for various reasons bad knees, hips, back, can no longer throw a leg over a bike. An accepable alternative is the smart. FAR cheaper used (my 2009 with 47000 miles was $3800) than a trike or can am spyder and besides twisties are the same on them as a smart. When it rains I put the top and windows up versus having to stop and put on rain gear when riding a trike or can am spyder. Then I also see guys riding chopped Harleys without jackets in the cold rain. I guess that has to do with some macho gene or stupidity gene, I haven't figured it out.
I always hear line about "Wind in your hair" in relation to motorcycle riding.
That is fine and dandy if you are in a state without a helmet law, otherwise the only time you will have wind in your hair is when you remove your helmet, if there is a breeze. I have more wind in my hair driving my smart cabriolet than any motorcyclist here in Nevada. I don't care for the bugs in my teeth bit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bikers, thanks for your brilliant replies. I'm coming up on the age when the BMW and the Harley must go. 60 years riding and still walking straight. Maybe one more season...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm a long time motorcycle rider, since 5 years old, used to work for Honda Motorcycles and have had over 60 bikes in my 42 years... everything from many sport bikes (zx10, zx14, cbr's, etc) a few tourers (HD Street Glide, Victory XC, Indian Chieftain) to various standards, dual sports, supermotos and many off-road dirt bikes and 3/4 wheelers... and I love them all.

I sometimes describe my smart as a covered motorcycle, small, light, easy to park, cheap to buy/insure... just that it keeps me warm and dry or air conditioned as needed too. I have had 40 or so cars/Jeeps/suv, etc... I'm on my second 451 now and love it, wasn't excited to hear the news about the 453 ICE not continuing to being sold here in the US but could see keeping my existing smart until it dies... then maybe keep it as a toy, revive it with a Hayabusa motor swap and let er rip.

I love my smart, but there's no way it could ever replace my Indian motorcycle. Almost as fun, but not quite.
Besides, my son is 16 and he gets the smart now, unless I steal it for a day.... he's never touching my Indian though.
What Indian do you have? I have a 16 Chieftain, such an amazing bike...

I usually have 2-4 bikes at a time and buy a new 1 or 2 a year, swapping out with ones I have but are bored of but I can honestly see keeping this Indian for a long time.

I also have a Honda Grom and Kawasaki Z125 now too to get in my mini-bike fix... these are so fun it feels illegal to ride em.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Almost got my first speeding ticket in my Electric Drive today. Back country 45mph road, came around a bend doing in excess of 75mph....quick on the brakes, there sat a poleees car at the intersection....He followed me a couple miles at EXACTLY 45mph lol.....I am certain he knew I was flying low...

1 - 20 of 77 Posts