Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I like motorcycles and have riden them for about 30 years. I am interested, now that I have and really like my ForTwo passion coupe, as to how many of you realize that their is a certain similarity, sans performance, between this little gem and a cycle. Same sense of adventure and accomplishment upon reaching a far destination. Is it only me?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I also rode a bike for about 30 years. I sold it about 10 years ago. When I got my Smart, a lot of the old biking memories started to come back.

The Smart is a pleasant replacement.

·
He's not mine
9,609 Posts
I haven't been on a bike since I luckily escaped serious injury in a wreck in my late teens. BUT, I think I do know what you mean, a the sense of achievement I used to get on long bicycle trips. I've talked with a number of bikers (motorcyclists) since I got my smart and they usually seem very interested in the car. I talked to one guy beside the road at Deal's Gap for a good 20 minutes. He might be a buyer! I also often get approving gestures from bikers in traffic (thumbs up, peace signs, etc.)

Welcome to SCOA ... Enjoy your ride!

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
I rode a bike for a long time, 25 years, but gave it up about 5 years ago when I moved way back on a dirt road.

I'm sure you've noticed riders are very accepting of the smart. Seems like 75% of all bikes that pass wave.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Couple of years ago I took my smart to Laughlin instead of the HD, but I made sure to put a sticker on the rear window. Lots of thumbs up. Agree with all the above, only ride the bike now when all the conditions are perfect: no traffic, sun shining but not too hot, minimum protection like helmet and long pants. My only regret, wish the smart accelerated like my V-Rod...

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I don't understand the "sense of ... accomplishment after reaching a far destination."

Because the smart is an effortless traveler, I've never felt I'm accomplishing anything different in the smart by driving cross country or taking road trips of a few hours distance that I wouldn't accomplish in a Wrangler or Z4 roadster or any other regular car.

The smart's a joy to drive. It keeps me dry, protected, and smiling. And no bugs in my teeth.

·
aka 'Red-Devil'
276 Posts
Having ridden for the past 40 years (Wow, I am getting long in the tooth ;-)), most of it in the Washington D.C. area, I think I can relate to the "sense of ... accomplishment after reaching a far destination.", but I would probably call it a sense of adventure. Bikers (at least the ones who grow old) tend to be more focused on everything around them, watching for the right turn on Red or the driver's head motions indicating a turn or lane change. Most trips are highlighted by at least one scare or at least an avoided scare by guessing what was going to happen. I find the experience in the smart to be similar. I tend to drive fast, many people with ADD do, it keeps the mind busy and focused on the task of driving or riding. Now the average driver around here is too busy reading the paper, texting, eating, talking on the phone or whatever to bother noticing a bike or something small like a smart (occasionally something large like a dump truck) coming along side, so they tend to just move where ever they desire. A bike or a smart is very maneuverable, so if you are paying attention and don't wish to be hit (for what ever reason) you have a good chance of avoiding these encounters. For a biker driving the smart is much like riding his/her bike, the sense of adventure and challenge of survival are the same (wish the acceleration was ). I guess if you drive a smart like the Zombies around here drive, you could just relax and trust in your tridon cell, personally, I'd rather not get hit ;-).

·
Registered
129 Posts
25 years of motorcycle riding made the smart an easy choice.

I feel safer in my smart.

Bike has a slight advantage in mpg's, but overall miles per dollar the smart is a cheap date.

I pack the usual two changes of clothes and a tooth brush in my smart and don't know what to do with the extra space.

My smart doesn't need a third seat any more than my Harley does.

A 10,000 mile round trip to Alaska on the bike makes shorter trips in my "city car' seem easy.

·
Registered
415 Posts
You are right only long time Riders would understand.

I Agree 100% the Pure I drive is very much like my Fat boy I Lost in a Bankruptcy.
At 70 MPH while cruising down the Turnpike or what ever stretch of road in My Smart I find my self being very cautious and aware of whats around me, Not that if I was in a Giant SUV I would drive less careful but I am defiantly more relaxed In a larger more comfortable car.I would describe my feelings on both the Fat boy and my pure more memorable.
Both the pure and my bike would move around with the wind slightly I feel the road in both just the same .
I think the big difference is that my pure protects me from all the bugs,dirt, and the windshield washer spray from the jerk in front. also when I get done riding my bike after a long trip the hair on my arm feels like they are still moving for 20 minutes after I get off . you wont get that or wind burnt in my Pure.
I do feel a satisfied in myself after driving my Pure just like the bike as I feel that I learned something new about my route that I would have missed driving anything else.

I even find my self leaning while hauling ass around sharp corners as if this really helps.
I enjoy owning my Smart much more than any of my Harley's that I have ever owned
mainly because how easy it is to clean them.
I dreaded keeping that chrome nice. once you got it looking perfect and took it out for a spin. my open pipes was like rain makers bam before I could get it home and there goes
a whole weekend of detailing the bike, because I got stuck in two minutes of rain.
if you didn't clean it often there goes your chrome on your Bike.
So while I miss riding my Fatboy I don't miss cleaning it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
If I had been on my bike today the Porsche driver would not have pulled up alongside of me and shook his head...

My wife was dozing at the time, if she had seen him she would have flipped him the bird!

I am sure he was overcompensating for his very small .....

·
Registered
199 Posts
I like motorcycles and have riden them for about 30 years. I am interested, now that I have and really like my ForTwo passion coupe, as to how many of you realize that their is a certain similarity, sans performance, between this little gem and a cycle. Same sense of adventure and accomplishment upon reaching a far destination. Is it only me?
It's not just you, I know exactly what you mean. I also rode bikes for many years, sold my last one when the kids came along, too dangerous in L.A. for the father of little ones. But I have always wanted to start riding again.

That's one of the things that attracted me to the smart, it's is kinda like having a motorcycle, only with four wheels and a roll cage. Much safer in L.A..

Now, the only thing missing is that kick in the pants when I hit the throttle. And I plan to take care of that real soon. :)

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
yeah before the smart came along, I was up to 10 bikes in 5 years thanks to the ease of collecting them off craigslist. It was beginning to look like a house of cats. But none of them has seen 90MPH for extended distances like the smart. The sense of adventure is there and is unlike that of a car.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I considered buying a Can Am Spider,at the same time I considered the
smart. The price was the same, the smart offered heat and ac and a dry
enviorment and got better cas mileage. I have never regretted my
decision. I have had motor cycles in the pas,t and now own a couple of
Vespa scooters and Tomas mopeds to terrorize the neighborhood.

·
Super Moderator
11,296 Posts
Sold the Goldwing once I got the Pure. haven't regretted it yet...It is awful nice when the temps hit the upper 80's and the air gets wet. The A/C also helps with my alergies. Adding the pedal mapping helps give it that extra shot on takeoff. Just a shade quicker off the line.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The first time I took the wife for a ride in the smart with the top down she exclaimed, "Now I see why you got this. Its a four wheel motorcycle."

1 - 20 of 39 Posts