Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Admin emeritus
3,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Salinas Californian

Imagine getting up to 60 miles to the gallon - without a motorcycle.

With an ultra-compact smart car, it's possible. In a week, local drivers can find out for themselves, when the Dick Adams smart car dealership opens at 242 Griffin St., Salinas.

Already boasting a revered reputation in Europe, the tiny French-built cars have slowly trickled into the United States, with just two dozen dealerships in the entire country. Until now, the only dealer of smart cars in California has been hundreds of miles south, in Glendale.

At eight feet long, three smart cars can fit in a parking space designed for one conventional car. True to theme, the smart car's brand name doesn't even use capital letters.

But despite its size, the car can fit two long-legged adults comfortably, and Adams says the trunk - a narrow space between the seat backs and the hatch - can accommodate up to eight bags of groceries.

Co-owner Jim Adams said he decided to try selling the imported two-seaters after visiting a dealership in Arizona. He said the cars, which will range in price from $27,000 to $31,000, are aimed particularly at single-person delivery services and commuters who might otherwise pay close to $80 per fill-up to fuel their sport-utility vehicles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah, way too much $$

Nope, not excited about those prices....it is a little ridiculous to pay that much over market thereby offsetting your gas savings! I would not pay more than $20k out the door expecting a FULLY loaded smart

·
Registered
81 Posts
anyone excited about this pricing
Smart has a great thing going with 20,000 pre-orders for cars that won't be available until sometime in 2008, lots of enthusiasm as evidenced by all the comments on this web site. About the easiest way that Smart could shoot themselves in the foot would be by greedily asking for a higher price from their most enthusiastic customers once the cars come out this year. Yes, I understand that gray market cars this year are grossly overpriced, and I suspect that will decline perhaps next year. But, if the cars from the Penske dealers have ANY dealer markups, I'm not going to be thrilled about buying one. I've been waiting for several years also to get a smart car, but I really can't support that kind of practice. On the smart USA web site, we were told the base model would be starting at under $12K, and that's exactly what I'm expecting- no more than that. As much as I like ths Smart car, if I don't get the car for the price that was promised me on their web site, then I'll buy something else.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Even the Scion xB goes for about $400 more than MSRP on average based on what I have seen. I expect the smart car will be the same. I have my upper limit as to what I will allow the dealer and for the total price of the car. Any more than that and I will walk away to another dealer, spend less to get 'more car' but still high MPG.

·
Admin emeritus
3,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Even the Scion xB goes for about $400 more than MSRP on average based on what I have seen. I expect the smart car will be the same. I have my upper limit as to what I will allow the dealer and for the total price of the car. Any more than that and I will walk away to another dealer, spend less to get 'more car' but still high MPG.
I think the big difference here is that Smart USA has been quoted in many places that the smart will not sell for over the MSRP price which has yet to be nailed down. As of right now there is an exact pricing but they do mention prices will be under $**,$$$$ for each model respectively.

If you visit smart usa (http://www.smartusa.com/smart-car-faq.aspx) look under "how much will a smart vehicle cost?" to see their exact wording.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Pricing

I think the big difference here is that Smart USA has been quoted in many places that the smart will not sell for over the MSRP price which has yet to be nailed down.

If you visit smart usa (link removed) look under "how much will a smart vehicle cost?" to see their exact wording.
I've seen that but I cannot imagine a dealer who would not find a way to mark it up in some way to maximize their margin. I hope I am wrong because really would like one but I am willing to walk to Honda or Toyota if need be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts