Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Smarts have been in Mexico for several years and there is an active Smart Car Club forum in Mexico which you may join at smart club méxico - Powered by vBulletin if you read Spanish. However, if you don't, you may be surprised to find that many of the members are very capable in English.
As an American who retired to Mexico in 2001 and bought a Smart Passion in 2007, I have enjoyed participation in the Smart Club of Mexico and, just recently, here at SmartCar of America. There are pictures in the Gallery of a recent gathering of Smarts here at Lake Chapala. Have a look.
Those of you who are interested in the experiences of Smart owners on the American Continent, prior to the introduction of the new 2008 to the USA, may enjoy communicating with those of us who have been driving them all over Mexico. In fact, we drew a lot of attention when we drove our Passion from Guadalajara to North Carolina in the spring of 2007.
I know many of you are impatiently waiting for delivery of a Smart. Hang in there; it will be worth the wait.
Bob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the info, Bob. We got our smart two days ago, and have been having a ball driving it up and down lakeside, from Jocotepec to Chapala.
Ours is black, silver trim and red interior, 2009 Passion coupe.

Those topes look awfully big when you're in a tiny car, but she takes them like a trooper.

Karen

·
Registered
659 Posts
Thanks for the info, Bob. We got our smart two days ago, and have been having a ball driving it up and down lakeside, from Jocotepec to Chapala.
Ours is black, silver trim and red interior, 2009 Passion coupe.

Those topes look awfully big when you're in a tiny car, but she takes them like a trooper.

Karen
Hay un tope por cada Mexicano!
I hate speedbumps, but not as bad as potholes...

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
RVGringo: It's nice to have you in your homeland forum, you are an experienced Smart owner you can share a ot with us.

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
Suze - Yes, we do have a 2009 smart.

Sorry to take so long to reply. We had electricity problems,
so, no computer.

Karen
Please, please, Karen, tell us more about the new not yet announced 2009 smart, we're anxious to know what's new... :p

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2009?

I haven't seen the Nichols' 2009 Smart, or any other yet and I just sent them an e-mail to see if they can give us any details. I wasn't aware that the 2009 was even available yet but it wouldn't surprise me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi everyone. We just got back from a day trip to Mazamitla, in the mountains. Well, mountains to us. That little car can really zoom up the hills and corner like a race car. Of course, Stu was driving. Whole different story when "Miz Daisy" is doing the driving.

Oh, I think the big difference in the 2008 and 2009 models is the price.
Same colors, same everything as far as we can tell. We were given a 2008 brochure to daydream with, then two weeks later, well folks, the 2009's are out now, and the price has gone up. Another two weeks, when ours arrived, the price went up again. $350.00 US total.

Our Passion Coupe is different than the US version. Ours is a turbo, there is no leather seating options, $50 extra for a cup holder, but a cigarette lighter and ashtray are standard. To further confuse things, we can't get the Pure model, only the Pulse and the Passion. In the US, I don't believe the Pulse is available. The silver trim is standard on our Passion, and both models can come as a convertible.

If you really want to get confused, go to the UK and Canada smart sites.
Whole different ball game. That is, if I haven't done a good enough job of confusing you already.

Cheers, Karen

·
Registered
173 Posts
Another thing to clarify is that in Mexico we cannot customize our smart car, you may choose between pulse, passion, pulse cabrio and passion cabrio.

As karen was saying, the cigarette lighter and ashtray are standard in both models, the fog lights, tachometer and clock pods are also standard.

The pulse has wider tires and 6-spoke rims, manual mirrors, paddle shifters, no glove compartment and gray interior only.

The passion has the same plus turbocharged motor, electric mirrors, the rims are 12-spoke, 2-spoke leather steering wheel (no paddle shifters), glove compartment and you may choose the interior color between gray, red and beige.

Also all Mexican 451 smarts have 2 airbags, we don't have the option for 4 airbags as you guys.

If you want any other accessories, you have to buy them separately.

I might be missing something. but that's what I recall.

Saludos! (cheers)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Pot holes are the worst. I thought I had popped a tire. Good news is I filled up my tank 3rd time it was half full . I got 51 mpg. I used my paddles.
2nd fill up I use the auto shift and got 37 mpg. Alot of city and some Hwy.
Love My Smart T

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Here are some pictures I wanted to share with you, so you can see the differences between the Smarts sold in Mexico, and the ones sold in the USA.
This is a 2010 Passion Cabrio.
It has one reverse light, no amber accent in the headlights, 12-spoke rims, pure steering wheel and different shifter:

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Those pictures were taken in Guadalajara where there is 1 Smart Center, however, if you go to Mexico City, there are 6 Smart Centers.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Actually, I think Eurostern has two Smart locations; one at Glorieta Minerva and another on Lopez Mateo Sur.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Here are some pictures taken by Yiyo and family, the 2011 are already for sale in Mexico:

Adapter for ipod and usb.

Look at that weird looking 450 in the background:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts